4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

**sharing experience changing thermostat**

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004 | 09:43 AM

**sharing experience changing thermostat**

first of all let me tell you it was way to easy don't have any pics because while i have a cam don't have usb cable

theres is a gasket indeed it a very thin rubber lined metal gasket

its been discussed before but just in case this is idiot proof write up
another thing sorry about my grammar some of you know my story

because some coolant wiil be spilled no matter how carefull you are find a good place to do this job

1-let the car cool off if hot

2-take coolant reseivor out(slide up) disconnect hose or put it out of the way

3-remove the horn bracket(12mm bolt )

4-place a large coatainer under the car but you won't catch all the coolant(i did not reuse any even when i know it was fresh from a radiator repair 5 days ago

5-disconnect lower hose from thermostat housing only(philips screw) bend it out of the way( careful some of the coolant may still be hot hose may be due to replacement can break very easy)

6-thermostat housing is hold by 3 10mm NUTS i did not removed the belt tensioner because i used a 3/8 ratchet with a 3" extension along with a universal joint adapter this is the perfect tool fot the job and it fit the spot between the tensioner and the timing chain wait so all the coolant inside the head comes off put some paper tissue or rag in the opening after ta chatch small dripping

7- i used a very thin coat of grey gasket maker along with gasket

8- REMOVE ALL the paper tissue or rag if thats the case and insert the gasket press fit against the head surface then insert stat housing and tight a little bit on each nut until reach the appropiate torque useless to me since i don't have a torque wrench and i don't think you can fit one in there

9- if using gasket maker let it dry or cure for 15-20 minutes reinstall everything in reverse order inspect hose carefully if need replacement this is the best moment

10- i cleaned reservoir with a baby bottle brush also good moment to flush radiator and put some new coolant

11- start you car so air bleeds out let it run for a 5-10 minutes inspect for any leak or anything else
Old 08-29-2004 | 10:18 AM

good write up.

Good write up I just changed my a week ago, those 1 of those 3 nuts where very stubborn, had to drown it in WD-40 and leave it over night, and it is supper cramped in there to get to it, luckily I had some air tools and this little thing goes at the end of the ratched that angles to get into hard places, if I didnt that that thermostat would still be stuck on there.

had to change the cooland temp sensor so it was an all coolant type of day.

My Coolant looked nasty too, glad I flushed that out. I was following the write in the faqs, and I started to drain the coolant, then remember I had to open the heater core, and a lot more coolant fell.
Old 08-29-2004 | 10:58 AM

Yeah, I tried doing mine about a year ago without the adapters and I could not get the thermostat housing off, sucked that I had to pay to have it done. Really ****ed me off.