4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Springs/Struts 97 Max SE

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004 | 05:12 PM

Springs/Struts 97 Max SE

Guys,

I know this goes against what most like here-- and I certainly like the look, BUT..... I just bought a 97 Max SE and it's been nicely modded. One of the mods was:

Tokico Blue Struts
Eibach Springs

The guy didn't know which series of Eibach's were used as he bought the car from a friend of his-- the car is really nice and low. Looks super sharp, had a set of 18" TSW Stings on it too.... the care just looks freaking awesome.

HOWEVER, I live in the sticks a bit, and have a 350' stone driveway. The car very lightly rubs in a couple spots going in and out. I took off the Stings and put the factory wheels back on... I don't think it made any real difference.

So, when the snow starts flying, I'm going to be totally hosed unless I can raise this car back up some. The thing is, I love the tight handling I'm getting now... I'd like to raise it up some without losing a lot of handling.

He gave me the original springs with the car, but are there some performance springs that will give me the height without the spongy-ness? Perhaps I could put the original springs back on with the existing Tokico Blue Struts and be OK? Or do I really need to consider replacing the whole setup? (springs and struts).

I'd appreciate help from anyone with experience here. With the 18's and the current setup, the car rode like it was on rails for sure-- nice and tight, but you hit one of these Pennsylvania pot-holes and the car shutters so freaking hard you'd think it was going to snap in half. Unfortunately, for my driving habits I need a little more of a luxury ride (taking out clients, long road trips, etc.) but I also love the sport ride... I'm hoping to find something in between.

Thanks for reading.

-Leo