4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

motor mount replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 11:17 AM
spk

motor mount replacement

How much can I expect to pay a shop to have the motor mounts replaced? I need a new clutch, so I was thinking of having the mounts replaced at the same time (116K, original mounts). Would doing them at the same time lower labor costs much?

Is this something I can do in my driveway? I've got a hydraulic floor jack, jack stands, and a modest set of tools (no real specialized tools). Can it be done? PITA? Just have the shop do it?

Good/cheap place to get mounts. Stock motor, so I don't need real stiff mounts (don't think I do, unless it helps out).

Thanks for help.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:50 PM

depends which mounts are bad and which ones you need to replace, there is a total of 4 including the trany one, and all of them are about the same price except for the right engine mount which is about 175 and for some reason they only have those at the dealership(thats with my experience). It is not an easy task since you have to support the engine while you replace them and even then its not that easy to actually connect the engine to the motor mount. So you shouldnt attemt it, unless you're brave and looking for a challenge than go ahead, on the other hand its good to work on your own car and it would save you the labor charges. SO...

And i dont think changing the clutch at the same time would lower the labor cost since its completely different thing, but it would lower the labor cost if u change all motor mounts at the same time.
Total off 4 mount replaced with labor would run about 600 here in LA.

PLus get them checked out firist to know wich ones specifically need replacing.
Old 09-03-2004, 03:56 PM

If its the front and rear mounts you will need a lift and will need a tranny/engine stand holder to keep the engine up. I just replaced my rear engine mount, took about an hour, and also fixed a lot of other things. As for the clutch, dont even bother.. You will need airtools because these bolts on the mounts are very very tight.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:19 PM
spk

Is there a way for me to check the mounts myself (without unbolting them)?

Thanks for the responses.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:23 PM

u need help for that one. Get some one to get inside the car, start it, put the hand brake on, put it in Drive, press on the brake peddle, then u open the hood and look at the engine, while some one inside the car is gently aplying a lil pressure on the gas peddle while STILL pushing on the brake peddle. And just observe how much the engine;s moving. and u can also look in the back of it while the engine is going forward and backward and you'll be able to see the motor mount and its condition. Alot of body shops use this trick, So dont even bother, just take it to your local shop and they'll check it for you, it wouldnt cost anything, well it shouldnt.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:00 PM
spk

Originally Posted by bigx323
u need help for that one. Get some one to get inside the car, start it, put the hand brake on, put it in Drive, press on the brake peddle, then u open the hood and look at the engine, while some one inside the car is gently aplying a lil pressure on the gas peddle while STILL pushing on the brake peddle. And just observe how much the engine;s moving. and u can also look in the back of it while the engine is going forward and backward and you'll be able to see the motor mount and its condition. Alot of body shops use this trick, So dont even bother, just take it to your local shop and they'll check it for you, it wouldnt cost anything, well it shouldnt.

Mine's MT, but I'll figure it out. Thanks.