4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Check out this exhaust!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 09:21 AM

Check out this exhaust!

What do you guys think, but keep in mind i can't spend over $300.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...919223037&rd=1

thanks in advance
Old 09-04-2004, 09:38 AM

One more question, would i have a problem with the o2 sensors.
Old 09-04-2004, 09:41 AM

dont buy it. IT will sound like a coffe can full of bees. Ur car says maxima not civic with VTECH or VTECK stickers all over it. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-04-2004, 09:43 AM

I can't find an exhaust for under $300 shipped
Old 09-04-2004, 10:17 AM
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake

Y-Pipe = 160
B-Pipe = 50-100 (custommade)
Muffler = Keep The Stock One
Old 09-04-2004, 10:20 AM

I already bought a y-pipe. just wanted a b-pipe and a muffler.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:32 AM

Maxine,

Just go to your local muffler shop & have them make you a catback system. I'm positive you can have it done for less then $300 bucks & that would include the muffler also. As for the muffler, what you want is a striaght through design. You can see right through the center of this type of muffler & the center pipe is usually perferatted with glass packing around the pipe. You can get a really good straight through muffler for around $80 bucks or so. So I have no doubt's that for $300 or less you can have your own B-pipe made along with a new muffler installed. Besides I think it's better to spend the money locally & build a repore with your muffler shop.

Heres what you want:
2-1/2" catback piping
2-1/2" center inlet center putlet straight through design muffler.
3" chrome tip "make sure to tell them you want the tip included in the price".

Also, don't worry about the O2 sensor, they will weld in a new bung for you. By law they cannot allow you to leave the shop once they have started work on your vehicle with any smog equiptment disconnected. besides most muffler shops will not turn down any buisness because they lost out a 25 cent part & 10 cents worth of weld.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by nostrixoxide
Maxine,

Just go to your local muffler shop & have them make you a catback system. I'm positive you can have it done for less then $300 bucks & that would include the muffler also. As for the muffler, what you want is a striaght through design. You can see right through the center of this type of muffler & the center pipe is usually perferatted with glass packing around the pipe. You can get a really good straight through muffler for around $80 bucks or so. So I have no doubt's that for $300 or less you can have your own B-pipe made along with a new muffler installed. Besides I think it's better to spend the money locally & build a repore with your muffler shop.

Heres what you want:
2-1/2" catback piping
2-1/2" center inlet center putlet straight through design muffler.
3" chrome tip "make sure to tell them you want the tip included in the price".

Also, don't worry about the O2 sensor, they will weld in a new bung for you. By law they cannot allow you to leave the shop once they have started work on your vehicle with any smog equiptment disconnected. besides most muffler shops will not turn down any buisness because they lost out a 25 cent part & 10 cents worth of weld.

First of all i would like to thanks to everyone who responded and does anybody have any experience with ebay mufflers?? Also can i get a glass packed muffler one from another car and put it on? thanks
Old 09-04-2004, 10:39 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW
Old 09-04-2004, 10:42 AM
Boosted Panda

Why cant you spend more then $300.00?
Is that all you have?
If so, save up some more if your looking for a complete bolt on exhaust with no issues.
If not, do the custom built thing.
You can put any muffler you want on, simply by welding it on.
I wouldnt suggest doing that though, also the sound would be crappy Im sure.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:44 AM

dont get it, not worth it. like the guys said, just get it custom built at a local exhaust shop. 2 1/2" piping. you'll like it.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:45 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Say away from coffee can looking universal mufflers. It will sound and look like Azz
Old 09-04-2004, 10:45 AM

Well i just set my limit i'm moving out soon so i want to put my money to good use.
Anybody know of any bolt on rear sections for around $100-$150?
Old 09-04-2004, 10:58 AM

maxine,

Sorry I don't have any experience with ebay mufflers. I just don't think it would be a wise idea to purchase a system through them. Just to many things to worry about fitment, quality etc. Especially returning the product & getting your money back if there is a problem with the exhaust system.

I'm not sure if org member FLAVOR247 is saying not to go with a glass pack or to not have a muffler shop do the work for you. I would deffinilty not purchase a glass pack & I do not have a problem with having the local muffler shop doing my work. There is absolutley no ill effects to the sound of the exhaust system. My exhaust sounds great & if I ever have a problem the guy's are the shop are more then happy to help me out.

What your looking for is something similar to this except with (center inlet center outlet) this picture show a muffler with center inlet offset outlet....
http://borla.com/uk.turbo/?cartID=20...50198.81.26.70

You do not have to buy a muffler this expensive, there are plenty of mufflers out there from anywhere between $20 to $200 dollars that are exactly this same design.
Old 09-04-2004, 11:02 AM

The good thing about having your local muffler shop do it for you is you can leave your house right now & in just a few hours be driving around town with your new exhaust. Instead of waiting for a system to arrive. So really it's your preference, but if you cannot afford or do not want to spend the kind of money a Greddy SP2 or Cattman exhaust system cost. Then your next best alternitive is going to your local muffler shop.
Old 09-04-2004, 11:05 AM

I just bought a warpspeed y-pipe yesterday, so i'm looking for something else to give me a little grumble with out busting my wallet. Would getting a custom exhaust at a shop put a little more umph in it??
Old 09-04-2004, 11:17 AM

It will certainly help, especially since you purchased the Y-pipe. I would wait until your Y-pipe arrives so it can be installed before you finish the exhaust. If i'm not mistaken the warpspeed Y-pipe has a 2-1/2' flange after the flex pipe, so after you replace your cat back exhaust with 2-1/2" piping & a 2-1/2" muffler the only thing left to do would be upgrade to a 2-1/2" cat.

So to answer your question you are deffinitly going to notice a difference in the old butt dyno. Pardon my french!
Old 09-04-2004, 11:22 AM

Is the oem cat 2 1/4. If it will it still match up with the y-pipe??
Old 09-04-2004, 11:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have the stock cat with my y pipe and it fits fine. Check out the warpspeed quiet catback http://www.warpspeedperformance.com/nissan.htm I've never heard it, but a few org members have really good things to say about it. It is also within your price range.
Old 09-04-2004, 11:30 AM

maxine,

yes the OEm cat will still work fine, it's just a slightly smaller diameter then your new 2-1/2" exhaust pipe will be. So that is called a "choke point" it's not really that big of a deal, but like i mentioned before it's the only thing left in your exhaust system that is smaller then 2-1/2 inches.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by JDogg96
I have the stock cat with my y pipe and it fits fine. Check out the warpspeed quiet catback http://www.warpspeedperformance.com/nissan.htm I've never heard it, but a few org members have really good things to say about it. It is also within your price range.

I have the Warpspeed Cat-Back (with their quieter "dynomax clone" muffler"). COST: $250

I had a good conversation with Dallas when I asked him about the origins of the muffler. Apparently they flow-tested and sound-tested about 2-3 dozen mufflers before picking out the one I have. According to him it has better flow than the Dynomax Superturbo and others, and is quieter, too.

My impressions:

SOUND: The muffler is fairly quiet compared to any of the straight-through mufflers. It has a little bit of a growl compared to stock. As for the sound, well, it's best described as low and "burbly". Kind of a throaty sound. It actually sounds like the air is going through a much wider tube. So not a roaring growl, but it does sound okay. For those looking for real growl though, they will find it anemic sounding...

FITMENT: Mine was offcenter and stuck out too far from the bumper after the install. I sent the measurements back to Dallas and he said he'd send out a new one when his next muffler shipment came in. I'm waiting on the new one (hopefully it will get here soon). It's been more than 2 weeks...

LOOKS: This muffler is much "fatter" than most aftermarket mufflers. So you definitely see more of it sticking out underneath your car. Ideally it would tuck up underneath the car and be more out of sight. Dallas said they are working with the company to design one that was wider (sideways) but narrower (up-and-down) so that it would tuck underneath the car better. Looks fine though and the chrome tip adds nice flair.

DURABILITY/RUST: I've had the mis-fitted one on my car for almost 3 weeks in the hot humid summer. I already see rust on the hangers (JUST on the hangars. I guess the hangars are cheap metal. They are so thick though that they won't rust through in all likelihood). There is also a little rust spot forming just inside the muffler tip where water pools. The tip is curled over, so those few drops of water can't pour out. If you drilled a tiny hole it would be fine. Dallas is drilling the hole for me on the new one he's sending out.

OVERALL OPINION: Not perfect, but great bang-for-the-buck. You'll be hard-pressed to find a quieter, better performing cat-back for this price ($250). You might get better looks though if you went more expensive. You might get slightly better performance (very slight) if you went with a straight through muffler - but it will be really loud. (some people like loud, I don't...)
Old 09-05-2004, 09:05 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I say save your money and wait until you can get a good exhaust. If you dont then you most likely will sound like a civic.
Old 09-05-2004, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by TrackSmart
I have the Warpspeed Cat-Back (with their quieter "dynomax clone" muffler"). COST: $250

I had a good conversation with Dallas when I asked him about the origins of the muffler. Apparently they flow-tested and sound-tested about 2-3 dozen mufflers before picking out the one I have. According to him it has better flow than the Dynomax Superturbo and others, and is quieter, too.

My impressions:

SOUND: The muffler is fairly quiet compared to any of the straight-through mufflers. It has a little bit of a growl compared to stock. As for the sound, well, it's best described as low and "burbly". Kind of a throaty sound. It actually sounds like the air is going through a much wider tube. So not a roaring growl, but it does sound okay. For those looking for real growl though, they will find it anemic sounding...

FITMENT: Mine was offcenter and stuck out too far from the bumper after the install. I sent the measurements back to Dallas and he said he'd send out a new one when his next muffler shipment came in. I'm waiting on the new one (hopefully it will get here soon). It's been more than 2 weeks...

LOOKS: This muffler is much "fatter" than most aftermarket mufflers. So you definitely see more of it sticking out underneath your car. Ideally it would tuck up underneath the car and be more out of sight. Dallas said they are working with the company to design one that was wider (sideways) but narrower (up-and-down) so that it would tuck underneath the car better. Looks fine though and the chrome tip adds nice flair.

DURABILITY/RUST: I've had the mis-fitted one on my car for almost 3 weeks in the hot humid summer. I already see rust on the hangers (JUST on the hangars. I guess the hangars are cheap metal. They are so thick though that they won't rust through in all likelihood). There is also a little rust spot forming just inside the muffler tip where water pools. The tip is curled over, so those few drops of water can't pour out. If you drilled a tiny hole it would be fine. Dallas is drilling the hole for me on the new one he's sending out.

OVERALL OPINION: Not perfect, but great bang-for-the-buck. You'll be hard-pressed to find a quieter, better performing cat-back for this price ($250). You might get better looks though if you went more expensive. You might get slightly better performance (very slight) if you went with a straight through muffler - but it will be really loud. (some people like loud, I don't...)
so will the new ones be corrected with measurements? i ordered mine last friday i think, and it was shipped tuesday i think... but when i called they said that dallas got in the wrong bends for the b-pipe. is this what you are talking about? hopefully i wont have the same problems as you...

also, you mean drill a tiny hole in the tip? i get what you are saying, but i thought the tip was double walled, but i guess it is just rolled...
Old 09-05-2004, 03:22 PM

this is the one i got check it out

http://www.speedstash.com/obx_type_b.html
Old 09-05-2004, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by chuckie311
this is the one i got check it out

http://www.speedstash.com/obx_type_b.html
man that looks ricey... is it loud?
Old 09-05-2004, 03:29 PM

HighFlow Cat & straight pipe =D

A friend of mine has a 98 Maxy GLE with straight pipe.
Sounds throat & mean.
Dont buy car parts off ebay. You will regret it! i know i did when i got a short throw shifter for my car and it wasnt even for NISSAN period. Lol and forget about returing it. I sold it on ebay for 3/4 of what i paid >=E

Ebay + carparts = suckage

I agree with nostrixoxide.
Local mufler shop is your best way to go.

PS: you think that you'll be the only person that ever asked him to hook up with a cool exhaust. come on dude lol.
Old 09-05-2004, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by jdm71488
man that looks ricey... is it loud?

ricey how does it look ricey. i didnt use the muffler i had one i allready wanted to use. i just used the b-pipe section of it
Old 09-05-2004, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by chuckie311
ricey how does it look ricey. i didnt use the muffler i had one i allready wanted to use. i just used the b-pipe section of it

well you didnt specify that part... i was mainly talking about the muffler... looks just the one on the eclipse at my school that drones at idle...

sorry
Old 09-05-2004, 04:55 PM

lol no problem. i used my tenzo muffler it sounds awsome.

Old 09-05-2004, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by jdm71488
so will the new ones be corrected with measurements? i ordered mine last friday i think, and it was shipped tuesday i think... but when i called they said that dallas got in the wrong bends for the b-pipe. is this what you are talking about? hopefully i wont have the same problems as you...

also, you mean drill a tiny hole in the tip? i get what you are saying, but i thought the tip was double walled, but i guess it is just rolled...

Yeah, I meant drill a tiny hole in the tip. It would be underneath so you would never see it anyway, plus it would keep that little bit of water from pooling.

As for the fitment issues, well, I'm not sure. It may be that my car is somehow slightly different than most 95-99's or that he messed up somewhere. Basically the muffler kind of barely gets onto the hangars (it sticks out too far, so it just makes the hangars). This also means that the tip sticks out 3" from the bumper, too, which looks kind of funny. We'll see if he comes through with a modified muffler. I gave him all of the measurements plus some digital photos. It's been a couple of weeks though.