4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Burn out problems :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 07:47 AM

Burn out problems :(

so this is the first time ive done this ever. i stop put my e-brake on and push my normal brake and rev to 1500 and just launch well i spun the front tires ok for a while. BUT when im done and start to drive away i feel a thumping like as if i have a flat, so i get out and look at all my tires and no flat. I go back and look at the marks i left and turns out only my back right tire gripped, and turns out thats where the thumping is coming from. So what kind of damage did i do? I was thinking a bald spot in the tire but i dont know, im kinda scared and how good is it to drive with this i want to get it fixed as soon as possible. Any help would be great.
P.S. please keep the flaming to a minimum
Old 09-06-2004, 07:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sounds like maybe you had wheel hop? Did they front end feel like it was almost jumping? If so, you need better motor mounts. See if the problem goes away while burning out on wet pavement versus dry.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:55 AM

I dont think thats what my problem is. not sure but i dont think so. Because i have the thumping while normal driving all the time now. Not jus during the burnout. And the front end didnt feel as if it was jumping. Sorry but thanks for the advice.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:55 AM

You can always try rotating the tires from the rear to the front and see if that is the problem.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by 95nissanMax
so this is the first time ive done this ever. i stop put my e-brake on and push my normal brake and rev to 1500 and just launch well i spun the front tires ok for a while. BUT when im done and start to drive away i feel a thumping like as if i have a flat, so i get out and look at all my tires and no flat. I go back and look at the marks i left and turns out only my back right tire gripped, and turns out thats where the thumping is coming from. So what kind of damage did i do? I was thinking a bald spot in the tire but i dont know, im kinda scared and how good is it to drive with this i want to get it fixed as soon as possible. Any help would be great.
P.S. please keep the flaming to a minimum

you flat spotted the tire. basically what you said although i doubt they can fix the tire since what you did was remove most of the rubber and thread from that spot. you may need to have that tire replaced
Old 09-06-2004, 08:25 AM

alright thats what i thought but i cant SEE anything wrong with my tire, but im almost 100% sure thats whats wrong with it. Thanks
Old 09-06-2004, 09:04 AM

I did that once. lol. If you want to fix it, rotate the back tires to the one on the front, burn out some more and your good to go =)
(thats what i did heheh)
Old 09-06-2004, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by zack342
you flat spotted the tire. basically what you said although i doubt they can fix the tire since what you did was remove most of the rubber and thread from that spot. you may need to have that tire replaced

I had to replace my tire after locking up the brakes on an off ramp. I was coming home after being at work for two and a half shifts and I was pretty tired. I did not notice the Brinks security truck on the side of the off ramp (well it was not totally on the side it was sticking out some, and they are not small trucks)till it was almost too late. I slammed the brakes and avoided what would have been a nasty accident, with the Max being the obvious loser. Then as I started driving the bump,bump,bump,bump began. I went to Discount Tire and they recommended just replacing it, as the flat spot was pretty obvious.