4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Replacin o2 sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 10:05 PM

Replacin o2 sensor

Today, I called Pep Boys and I asked them how much was an o2 sensor for my car.. They asked me what make it was and also is my o2 sensor behind or in front of my cat converter or behind?? I said I dont know, but he told me when I do, its $80 for the one in front and $110 for the one behind.. Which 1 do i get??
Old 09-18-2004, 10:52 PM
Hooooooonda.....

The one that's throwing the code.
Old 09-18-2004, 11:42 PM

hey, I dont know if this question is dumb, or makes me look stupid.. How do i found out which o2 sensor is making my check engine light come on?? Thanx....
Old 09-18-2004, 11:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Go to AutoZone or Pepboys, Or Oriellys and have them do a scan on your car so you dont mess anything up because its obvious you cant read the stickies to learn how to do it the manual way.

Proph
Old 09-18-2004, 11:53 PM

well, I did the self diagonsis test myself, and I got the code "0503" from the stickies.. where on the stickes can i find out which sensor it is?
Old 09-19-2004, 10:42 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Diagnostic Trouble Code 0503 indicates a problem with the front Oxygen Sensor on the right cylinder bank. The right bank is also called the rear bank. It is cylinders 1,3,5. A normal signal sweeps back and forth between 0.2 volts and 0.8 volts. This malfunction was detected when the Engine Control Module received a signal from the sensor which was a constant value of approximately 0.3 volts.

Possible causes include ...
- Harness or connectors (the sensor circuit is open or shorted).
- Defective Oxygen Sensor
Old 09-19-2004, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by S103100F
Diagnostic Trouble Code 0503 indicates a problem with the front Oxygen Sensor on the right cylinder bank. The right bank is also called the rear bank. It is cylinders 1,3,5. A normal signal sweeps back and forth between 0.2 volts and 0.8 volts. This malfunction was detected when the Engine Control Module received a signal from the sensor which was a constant value of approximately 0.3 volts.

Possible causes include ...
- Harness or connectors (the sensor circuit is open or shorted).
- Defective Oxygen Sensor
very nice explanation - where did you get it? im looking for one for my evap control system code
Old 09-19-2004, 12:51 PM

Save money and do it yourself. The O2 for the right bank (near fire wall) is very easy to change. Need to put car on jack stands, however. You can borrow an O2 socket from AutoZone. I got mine for $5 from Habor Freight Tools.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:46 PM

borrow?? what do u mean by borrow? im gonna try to have a friend take a look at it for me either tomorrow or wednesday.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:38 AM

I'd like to do everything DIY style too. The only problem is that the parking lot at the apt complex I live in has an incline and no level surfaces. If i were to jack the car up, should I jack the front end of the car going against the decline or with the decline? I'd imagine against the decline, but just making sure. I only ask this because there's absolutely no flat surface I can use, or it's considered loitering (empty parking lot).
Old 09-20-2004, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by ILLeSt MaX
Today, I called Pep Boys and I asked them how much was an o2 sensor for my car.. They asked me what make it was and also is my o2 sensor behind or in front of my cat converter or behind?? I said I dont know, but he told me when I do, its $80 for the one in front and $110 for the one behind.. Which 1 do i get??
i just got a Borg Warner, front 02 sensor on ebay for $30 plus delivery. check all the how to's, install and reset the ecu yourself. should take about 5 mintues for a front sensor. you can wait for a deal on price if the car isnt running to ruff, may just burn a little more gas.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:26 AM

Don't wait too long with code 0503. The O2 is not functioning. The fuel mixture is not optimal and can damage the catalytic converter.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by ILLeSt MaX
http://www.oxygensensors.com

I had the exact same problem, bought mine at OxygenSensors.com for $62.99 shipped... Arrived in a couple of days and everything's cool
Old 09-20-2004, 10:24 AM

Sorry to butt in on the thread.. I'm throwing the code 0702. On oxygensensors.com, is that the left front or the right front? I know the code read right bank, but is that from the driver seats point of view. or when you look at it as you stand in front of the car? which one should I order? I'm confused because they're different part numbers.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:27 AM

From the front of the car it goes like this:

Front Left Sensor (radiator side)

Front Right Sensor (firewall side)

Rear Sensor...

Check what the code refers to, and then you'll know
Old 09-20-2004, 10:50 AM

hmm the code refers to the right, or rear, bank. To me, it seems it's the right side, but then again, I really just want to make sure so I don't go through the hassle of returning/exchanging/etc etc. arg
Old 09-20-2004, 12:58 PM

I'm in a similar situation. Sunday afternoon I started my car up after it was sitting cool all night. As soon as I turned the car on the CEL was on and it stayed on.

This morning I took it to the dealer I got it from and one of the repair men scanned it for me. It threw a code for a o2 sensor as I suspected, because since the light went on my mpg got worse. So he assured me it's a common problem with Nissans and reset the ECU and said that if it happens again to change the o2 sensor, if not then it was a false alarm.

So, I drove to work and it was fine...

My question: Is a false-alarm CEL triggered by an o2 sensor common? Also, the code said that the B2S1 o2 sensor threw the code. Does anyone know exactly which o2 sensor that is? Just curious in case the CEL goes on again and it needs to be changed

One more thing, I've heard that if you get gas with your car on that it can cause extra air to go into your gas tank and throw off an o2 sensor. Is this just a silly myth or does it have some validity to it? I've only had my '95 for 3 months now, but prior to it I had an '89 Max which I've had since I started driving (for 5 years) and haven't had a single o2 sensor problem and I've always filled my tank with the car on, so I'm thinking either that's a myth or the later generation Maximas have more sensitive sensors.

Thanks guys
Old 09-20-2004, 04:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by kbmaxima
Sorry to butt in on the thread.. I'm throwing the code 0702. On oxygensensors.com, is that the left front or the right front? I know the code read right bank, but is that from the driver seats point of view. or when you look at it as you stand in front of the car? which one should I order? I'm confused because they're different part numbers.
I was throwing this same code for months. I would reset CEL & ECU drive for a few weeks and it would come back. Back in July I changed both front sensors, felt like power was back, smoooth through the RPMs, and good gas mileage. Last week it threw the same code again, I reset everything, came back again yesterday, MPG is bad again too.
Seems like the 0702 is kinda general as far as the 3 way catalyst system. Only other thing I can think to do is change the rear O2 also. Can this be caused by something else along the lines of A/F mixture? and just in the rear bank?
Bugging the **** out of me!
Old 09-20-2004, 07:33 PM

let me know how it works out when you pin point the solution.

Diagnostic Trouble Code 0702 points to a problem with the three-way Catalytic Converter.

The Cat is one of the principal components of the emissions control system. The Engine Control Module monitors the signals from the two front Oxygen Sensors and the one rear Oxygen Sensor. The signal frequency of each sensor indicates something about the condition of that sensor. A comparison of the frequency of the front sensors with the rear sensor indicates something about the condition of the Cat.

This malfunction was detected when the ratio of the signal frequency from the right bank front Oxygen Sensor to the signal frequency of the rear Oxygen Sensor exceeded a critical threshold value. This indicates that the Cat does not have enough oxygen storage capacity. The right cylinder bank is also called the rear bank. It is cylinders 1,3,5. Possible causes of this DTC include ...
- Three-way catalyst
- Exhaust tube
- Intake air leaks
- Fuel injectors
- Spark plugs
- Ignition timing
Old 09-20-2004, 08:33 PM

i love maximas
Old 09-20-2004, 08:59 PM

damn, you are paying really cheap for them. they are aftermarket o2 sensors huh?
Old 09-21-2004, 11:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am looking into replacing my O2 sensors. Is this a waste of money? Is there a set time/mileage for replacing the senors? I have 126K on my 97 Max. and was thinking about changing the sensors.

Paul
Old 09-22-2004, 05:40 PM

if youre mileage sucks or you are getting an engine light code, change them, oem says to every 60000mi, but you can also torch them to clean them out and also use a little brake cleaner and then reinstall, check ebay as borg warner am parts are usually the cheapest, i.e. 30$US plus ship. reset your engine ecu light manually after pulling the codes the same way. dealers charge too much for their scope...
Old 09-22-2004, 05:41 PM

o2 aftermarket

2 Sensors/97SE
dealer tells me the left or rad side 02 is different from the right or firewall side one. looks to me like the oem difference is only the length of the cable but dealer says whole thing is different. does anyone know for sure if you can install a bw sensor in both applications even with the extra length of cable?
(i know the cat area sensor is totally different, but, thats not the issue)