4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Last paycheck, and splurging! Need help picking mods! (y-pipe, exhaust, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 07:06 PM

Last paycheck, and splurging! Need help picking mods! (y-pipe, exhaust, etc)

I get my last paycheck this Friday because I'm back in school now. I saved most of the money, but I want to spend this last paycheck on my '95 maxima. I've done my stereo already, so I think its time for some performance mods. First, I want to get a Y Pipe, but I don't know which one. I was thinking of getting in on the Warpspeed group deal, because $160 shipped for a Y-Pipe is a good price, but I was also thinking about getting the Budget SS Y-Pipe. I remember seeing it somewhere for about 160 as well. If anyone knows where and could give me the link I would greatly appreciate it. Anyway, I live in California, so the weather isn't too bad, but I don't want the pipe to rust. Which would you pick?

Next on my list is an intake. I was thinking about getting the Injen, because I know the brand and saw it somewhere for $200 on sale, but I honestly don't know anything about the intakes out there. $200 seems a little steep, but I've always been reluctant to go with no name brands on ebay. Also, I have the GLE model, and it says the Injen is for the SE, GXE or SLE, so I don't know if that is going to be a problem. Any other intake suggestions are welcome.

Also, I remember seeing a diagram of the maxima's exhaust somewhere on the forum, but I can't find it. If anyone has pics that would help too. I plan on getting the rest of the exhaust after these two upgrades, and don't know what to get, mainly because I don't know what the whole exhaust consists of. I think that the exhaust goes headers-> y-pipe-> cat -> catback exhaust, but then where does a b-pipe fit in? Is it part of a catback exhaust packages? If so , I was thinking of getting either the apexi WS or the Greddy SP2. I really like the look of the Magnaflow mufflers and exhaust tip, but I don't think they sell a full catback exhaust for the max, and I would rather get everything in a package deal.

Then there is handling. I want to get Tokico illuminas and some springs (I don't know what brand). Ebay has a package of Tokico illuminas and tokico springs for $550, but I don't know if the springs are any good. Also, the drop is only 1.25, and I wanted something closer to 1.6. Suggestions here are also welcome. I also plan on getting a rear sway bar.

All this is a little to steep for me to cover on one paycheck, but I'll get around to it all eventually. Any advice is greatly appreciated, because I'm a noob when it comes to performance mods. Thanks.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:17 PM
UCF Lexus

Must be a phatty paycheck

You'll be happy w/ WSP y-pipe. Good quality good price.

All intakes are the same....some want the JWT or PR CAI.....its gona be how much you want to spend. And they'll ALL fit...whether is a gxe, se, gle.

I wouldnt spend $ on headers...just get the WSP catback for like 590 or however much their site says.

How low do you want to go? My sprint springs are VERY low and I'm on stock SE struts. I wouldnt buy a package from ebay like that.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:20 PM
Rollin' on 'Caps

Well to shine some light on one (of many, good grief! haha j/k) of your statements... The Injen CAI (or hot air intake, as the case may be), works with the GXE, SE, and GLE; SLE must have been a typo because an SLE maxima doesn't exist...

Good luck man!
Old 09-22-2004, 07:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The injen is a waste of your money, I'd say to get a diff intake or wait on the injen, there are more inportant things to get for now. Injen looks very nice but it costs way too much

injen $200
just about every other intake $50
Old 09-22-2004, 07:48 PM
My Maxima thinks your Maxima is HOT!

Link to Budget: http://www.budgetexhaust.com/ - Make sure you order before Oct. 1 -shipping rates are going up. Ask for Jody and for their new SS 2.5" polished Y-Pipe coming next week. But if you can get the WS for $160 shipped you should go with that. Btw, can I have your job?
Old 09-22-2004, 07:50 PM

put tha tmoney that you were going to put into an injen intake, and hack your airbox, see the how-to's, itll give you the same gains as any othe rintake
Old 09-22-2004, 07:57 PM

join in on the WS y-pipe group deal. well worth it. for intake.. injen is overrated and overpriced. just get one off ebay. an intake is an intake and you get very little gains from it unless its a true cold air like the PR cold air one.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:01 PM

I would recomend catman catback, y pipe, and cat. Warpspeed is also good and if you want to go with a magnaflow muffler get the y pipe and b pipe from warpspeed and weld the muffler on. I have the same setup but i havent put it on yet along with my tv's, suspension and rims. Lowering i went with tein s-techs(thanks maximus_95) and koni struts(got good deal on them).intake i would say hack the airbox.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:46 PM

Why do you say the Injen CAI is not a true CAI? And why does the JWT POP intake cost so much when it looks like it is basically just the filter and the bracket that holds it? As far as hacking the airbox, I don't know what's involved, but I need a new filter for sure, no matter what I do.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:30 PM

The Injen is not a true CAI because the filter is actually right behind the radiator, sucking in hot air that's passed by the hot radiator. Other CAI's require you to cut a small hole in the inner fender wall near the battery; that way the filter is getting truly cold air from underneath the car. Also, don't forget that you live in CA, and the Injen is has a CARB EO #, whereas almost all other intakes won't even make it past the visual inspection.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:30 PM

Injen CAI is not a real cold air intake because the filter sits right behind the radiator. Not much cold air there is it? To make it a true cold air, the air is drawn from outside the engine bay where it is cooler.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:31 PM

haha u beat me maximagtr34
Old 09-22-2004, 09:36 PM
Well I should wrap this up before I start to ramble.

Buy a Y-PIPE, u won't waste your money, And don't Buy Injen.