4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Changing front brakes - double stacked shims??

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 04:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Changing front brakes - double stacked shims??

Wow, I just realized how much fantasy football has taken away from my Org activity. It's been a while since I've posted .... oh well, just trading one addiction for another.

Anyway, I'm in the middle of changing my brakes (the rotors won't be ready until tomorrow morning) and I've run into a quandry. As I swapped out the pads, I noticed something I found odd on the old pads - double stacked shims. Is this right?

My new pads barely hold one shim, and trying to stack them simply isn't happening. I can't remember offhand if these are the inside or outside pads, but they were double stacked on the pads with the little arm extending from them. It just seems senseless to me. Any help appreciated.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:47 PM

I did mine for the first time yesterday and niticed this too. They go on the inside pad. I didn't really understand either. I remember this b/c they had a mark where the caliper was hitting.
I initially bought Bendix pads and they came with new shims but I ended up taking those back because I read they weren't that good and dusted alot. I got some Nissan pads and the shims did come with those and to make those stay I just kinda bent the metel piece that stick out.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:56 PM

I'm installing Matrix Metal Masters here. Well, I find this even more odd that they didn't fit well on Nissan pads!! But you've had no problems/noises yet? I suppose I'll start trying to jam them on there ...
Old 09-23-2004, 05:47 PM

The shims,when they came off the old pads, were on there good,not loose at all. I don't know if I was supposed to put some kind of glue or something on there but I doubt it b/c I havent read anything about that. But,no I haven't had any noise so far. The benbix shims had a sticky side to them that would stick to the pads but I didn't us those. I was kind of concerned with Nissan pads and the shims b/c they were really loose but I just put them on and haven't had a problem. I bet once you get them on there the heat that builds up on them will make them stick to the new pads. So, I don't think you have to worry, just put them on and roll with it.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:34 PM

spray a thick layer of disc brake quit and u shouldnt have a problem but the shims shoould fit right back on
Old 09-25-2004, 10:49 AM

Job's done - I just needed to use some needle nose pliers to tug on the top shim and get the fingers to grasp over the edges of the pads. Then I just used a rubber mallett to reshape the fingers of the top shims and smooth it all out. So far so good - I've only heard a little squeal for about a half a second when I was braking on a sharp downhill slope approaching a stop sign. And yes, I used disc brake quiet. Thanks to Hunter for assuring me that what I was seeing was right.