4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Tires squealing

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 09:26 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Tires squealing

Last week, I replaced my control arms, since my ball joints were pretty much toast. Now, every time I go around a corner at even moderate speed, my tires squeal. This would only happen when I would take corners really fast. I haven't gotten an alignment yet, (I will be getting one done a bit later this week) and I was wondering if this might be the main cause. Looking at the wheels, they do seem to be negatively cambered, compared to how they were before, which was pretty much on the money. I figure that the tires are squealing since they're not making full contact as I take a corner. Any thoughts?
Old 09-27-2004, 10:21 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

It's the alignment.
Old 09-27-2004, 01:52 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I hope you're right. I'd hate to find out it was anything else at this point. By the way, it's good to find out someone is taking the time and effort to have the extended travel rear mounts made. I must be one of the very last people to have ordered and received the Motivational mounts. It's amazing how much that extra inch of travel makes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but besides the additional inch or so of travel, that extra travel happens to occur closer to the start of the suspension travel, which I believe is softer than the end of the travel. Similiar to how progressive springs offer a progressively firmer rate the more the spring is compressed. Am I wrong about this? To me, it seems the more the piston is compressed, the firmer it will become. Any comments on this theory?