4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Install/Replace Foglights

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 02:38 PM
SimStones

Install/Replace Foglights

Okay, so my foglight goes out the other day, and i'm excited as hell and go get some new Silverstar H3's. problem is, I can't figure out how to install the dayum things. the write up in the How-to's isn't working. I know plenty of yall have done this. Help a brotha out. Need a How to install foglight bulbs!!!
Old 10-01-2004, 03:44 PM

take out the housing... should be 2 10mm bolts, unscrew the big black cap on the back... take a look at your new bulb and find the equivalent inside your fog housing... and it should be self-explanitory from there man...
Old 10-01-2004, 04:12 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I just removed the foglights on my 96. The owners manual shows a drawing that indicates how to remove the plastic cover panels (made to resemble the actual lenses) adjacent to each glass lens. It shows that you need to push up the cover. Carefully pry the plastic cover up from the bottom. This compresses a plastic spring clip on the top end of the cover until you can begin prying the bottom end of the cover outward. Don't try prying outward from the top. The bottom end is held in by a rigid plastic "spur" that extends back and down over a rigid plastic "lip." Essentially you are lifting the spur up and over the lip. (Incidentally, each cover is clipped on to the body of the foglight itself, not to the painted plastic bumper cover.) This was the hardest step in the removal for me.

After unscrewing the 10 mm hex head bolt that holds the foglight body to a metal tab, pull the foglight toward you while disengaging two prongs (not visible at this point) that insert horizontally into clips on the side opposite the 10 mm bolt.

I unplugged the power lines from the fogs and took the lights inside to a table to change the bulbs. After unscrewing the round black hatch you will see an electric lead from the bulb running through a braided tube (heat protection?) and then into a white rubber tube that covers the "spade" shaped plug that you need to unplug. Reaching into the rubber tube with needle nose pliers helps. Then remove and save the braided tube for use on the new bulb. The bulb is held in place by a bronze-colored spring one end of which is hooked under the rim of the metal fixture. Needle nose pliers help unhooking the spring which then swings back and allows the bulb to come out easily. Here's where it helps to be wearing gloves so you don't accidentally touch the glass of the bulb and leave a mark that will cause it to crack when heated.

Installation is the reverse. Note that the metal base of the bulb has two cutouts on opposite sides. One is semicircular and the other is rectangular. Make sure to match these cutouts to the correct bosses next to the hole where the bulb sits so the bulb is oriented correctly.