4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

HELP! Illumina kit installed, alignment done, but car is PULLING to the right!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 05:53 PM
G

HELP! Illumina kit installed, alignment done, but car is PULLING to the right!!

Well last weekend we installed my Tokico Illumina Suspension Kit and immidiately went to have an alignment done afterwards at Big Brand Tire Co (where i always get my work done). So I get the car back and notice it is pulling to the right. Anyways long story short, I took it back in today, they put new tires on (because i needed them), thought that would fix it, but it didnt. So they put it up on the rack again and said everything is perfectly in spec. Im really scared that something is wrong now. They told me it could be the frame or plates? that somehow got bent and are causing the car to pull to the right. here is the alignment sheet from them:

does everything on that look ok? i dont see how something could have happened. me, my dad and our friend who is a mechanic installed the suspension and the shop told us everything install wise looked great. can someone please shed some light as to what may be wrong. i really hope its a cheap fix and i really hope its something thats even fixable. its a pain holding the steering wheel to the left a bit.

thanks,
-todd
Old 10-01-2004, 06:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Shouldn't the toe be the same on both sides? Also, how is your steering wheel sitting when driving straight?
Old 10-01-2004, 06:18 PM

The .5 deg difference in camber could possibly be affecting things. See if they can loosen the lower bolt and move it around to adjust camber. Also the crown in the road will usually always make your car pull to the right. Make sure you find a dead flat road to do testing on.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:01 PM
G

thanks for the input. they said the toe was in spec and thought it was ok. when driving straight, i have to hold the steering wheel slightly to the left, as it is pulling to the right.

also, it didnt pull at all before the install. i know what you are saying about the crown in the road making it pull to the right, but even on a DEAD even road it still pulls. if i were to let go of the wheel it would probably make a lane change in under 8 seconds.
Old 10-02-2004, 09:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Mine did the same thing. In fact, whenever I'm working with the struts, I end up doing it 2x. First I install everything neutrally. Then get it aligned. If it's still pulling to a side, I check the specs and see if I can "pull" the wheel a certain way.

So you're pulling to the right? Go back to the driver side and loosen the 2 lower strut bolts. Then with your left hand, pull gently on the front of the rotor. Tighten.

Goto the passenger side and do the same thing, but install push gently.

After this's done, get an alignment again. Hopefully everything is still in spec. Takes a lil trial/error, and I finally got my alignment specs equal on both sides. When my pressures are right, I can go quite a while without any steering input.

Jae
Old 10-02-2004, 02:58 PM
G

thanks for the help ThurzNight. i will definetly try that and hope that fixes it!!
Old 10-02-2004, 03:05 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Left camber is -.04
Right camber is -.07

That is within spec and really shouldn't cause a pull.

Besides that, if it were to pull because of the camber difference it would pull to the LEFT, not the RIGHT.

The tire tracking on the harder angle will pull twards that angel. Right front at -.07 means the top is leaning inwards, twards the left. Thats the direction that tire is pulling.

The left front is also leaning inwards, twards the right but not as much as the right is. So the wheel that should cause your pull is the right and it is pulling twards the left.

You might want to have somebody do a 4 wheel alignment on that car. The rear could be out of spec which might be causing your tracking error. That will cause a pulling effect because your front end is trying to compensate for an error in the rear end.

Now there are no adjustments for the rear end, but a 4 wheel thrust angel will allow you to see if you have an issue back there. If the rear is just slightly off, your tires will wear into that and eventually your pull might go away.

Toe does not cause a pull.
Caster really doesn't cause a pull either and yours is definately within spec.

Rotate the rear tires left to right and see if that effects the pull at all.
Old 10-02-2004, 03:38 PM
G

thanks, that is a lot of great info. the guy at the shop also told me according to my numbers, if anything, i should be pulling to the left. the first alignment i had done was a 4 wheel alignment and the rear is also in spec. im going to try everyones suggestions if I can find time this week and hopefully find a fix! thanks again.