4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Problem with raw fuel and Cat Problem (Also Random Tech. Cats SUCK)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 10:41 AM

Problem with raw fuel and Cat Problem (Also Random Tech. Cats SUCK)

Has anyone ever heard of this? I put a Random Technology Hi-Flow Catalytic Converter on my '96 se auto. After about 6,000 miles I was getting a rattle from the cat. I took it off and half of the internals broke down. I contacted RT to ask for a refund because I sent the warranty card into them and they said cats. break for a reason, either bad shipping or excessive amounts of raw fuel entering the cat. I just think thier products suck and it shouldn't break down after only 6,000 mi.

I put on a new OEM cat to get rid of the sound and am just hoping that if they are right that I won't be replacing this new cat. soon too. Any info on this? and if anyone else had this prob, how did you fix the raw fuel problem?

My exhaust set up is a Budget y, now oem cat, and Greddy SP2 exhaust if this helps.

Thanks in advance.

-Steve
Old 10-19-2004, 11:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i had the same problem, they do make crappy catalitic converters for the money, just get a Warpspeed cat and you will be all set.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:03 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Any aftermarket cat is absolutely pointless. Stay stock or straight pipe the bish. It is possible to the cat to be ruined by rich conditions. I'd say that extreme conditions are required to ruin it. I hate aftermarket cats. I wish I would've spent that $200 on something much more usefull. As it stands I have a $200 gutted RT cat on my car. Something I could have done for nothing or $25 from Budget.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:07 PM
Hooooooonda.....

The carsound cat warpspeed sells is garbage too. Fell apart after 2 weeks.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:29 PM

my warpspeed cat is good. Ive never had problems with it...... :::Knocks on wood:::
Old 10-19-2004, 12:33 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Broaner
Any aftermarket cat is absolutely pointless. Stay stock or straight pipe the bish. It is possible to the cat to be ruined by rich conditions. I'd say that extreme conditions are required to ruin it. I hate aftermarket cats. I wish I would've spent that $200 on something much more usefull. As it stands I have a $200 gutted RT cat on my car. Something I could have done for nothing or $25 from Budget.

An Aftermarket Cat is not pointless IF you need one. They are usually cheaper than the stock by far(Stock up to $700). One thing is true though (and is even LAW in California) that when your cat goes bad it is because something else is broken so you have to figure out what that is before you chnage it because it WILL go bad again. It could even just be a small misfire, so it's very likely that rich conditions are the reason. Over time to much gas detonates in your cat and especially if your car has 90k+ miles. Might check out http://www.xtremeflow com They seem to have quality product so far in my expeirience. I had to go through them because they have cali 0BD II mufflers. As far as quality if you do some internet searches for reviews on cat's, it's pretty known that carsound and random tech are pure crap. Oh yeah and I can't say personally but MagnaFlow Cats are reputable and cheaper than xtremeflow.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:38 PM
V^___^V

just use stock cat
Old 10-20-2004, 08:42 AM

thanks for all the feed back. Those of you that had problems with your RT cat. did you contact them to complain and ask for a refund? (or what did you do?) I'm in the process of dealing with the f uckers right now and they are giving me attitude and horrible customer service. I'll get something out of them hoping for cash, if not a new cat to put on e-bay.

-Steve