4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Stock Maxima what should be done 1st?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 02:38 PM

Stock Maxima what should be done 1st?

Hey I have a stock maxima GXE. Im 17 and was wondering with 700$ what should I do first to my car any imput helps. Thanks Alot
Old 10-21-2004, 02:40 PM

def some wheels.

thats what im doin first.

might get an ebay CAI first...but wheels before much else....im getting a whtie GXE soon and im getting 17" Rota Attack in bronze...so hott

if u dont midn teh stock wheels....than a CAI and y-pipe with cat-back is a great start....or a NOS kit
Old 10-21-2004, 02:44 PM

a good exhaust, dash kit, lower it, tints, a new cd player, a cold air intake, guage rings, does it have a spolier? if not, look in the group deals for the lip spolier,($50) i just got mine and its sweet. its all what you want, are you just in it for looks or do you want to build up some more speed? you can get a few good things or a lot of little things, just shop smart.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:44 PM

Ha i have the stock steelies with the hub caps on them winter is comming soon too..
Old 10-21-2004, 02:46 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

i'm 17 also. Get a tune up.

Do you want go-fast, or look-good?

I would recommend the first option. for $700 you can get a nice y-pipe, intake and exhaust. But i do recommend a tune up. Wheels you can always buy later, and i wouldn't recommend buying them now, because winter's around the corner, and it's always better to have your stock ones on for the colder weather and snow.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:47 PM

the only mods I have done so far yet is Alpine CD player, Inside Green Neon under dash and back seats, and a ractive muffler...no its not a huge fart can its very suttle, I was thinking a full catback from the Y pipe back...
Old 10-21-2004, 02:48 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

get another $200 and do the whole suspention. thats if you drive normaly more than you race.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:51 PM

Lower it, $700 is just enough for some good struts and springs.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:05 PM
Boosted Panda

hmmmm 700 isnt too much to do a lot at one time.
Get an intake and y pipe and some struts/springs.
If you have some $$ left over get a RSB.
Thsi should give you a good platform to play with.
Next, save for some wheels/tires.

Lower it, $700 is just enough for some good struts and springs.
If you search, you can do it for around 400.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:11 PM
VK56 Inside

^^ I agree with Flavor. $700 should be just enough to do all that stuff if you do the installs yourself. Hold off on the rims cause I might have some to sell here shortly for a decent price. They are the stock 5 spoke in decent condition. Some curb checks and scratches, but the tires are new Falken 512's. This is all pending a good hookup on some 350z rims
Old 10-21-2004, 03:14 PM

Damn right, get some Illuminas for $400 and a set of springs of his choice for another $150 to $200... he still has a good $100-$150 left over for an intake or even a Y pipe if he plays everything right.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by 97GXE5spd
def some wheels.

thats what im doin first.

might get an ebay CAI first...but wheels before much else....im getting a whtie GXE soon and im getting 17" Rota Attack in bronze...so hott

if u dont midn teh stock wheels....than a CAI and y-pipe with cat-back is a great start....or a NOS kit
Ok first of all don't say NOS kit its nitrous( damn the Fast and Furious) , and that would not be a very good first mod at all, thats way down the road if at all. Im thinking maybe intake and y pipe and some small appearance things like DC bumper lights and red clears or something of that nature and new headlight bulbs.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:20 PM

Thanks you guys this is helping me alot!
Old 10-21-2004, 03:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by JaMdMax97
Hey I have a stock maxima GXE. Im 17 and was wondering with 700$ what should I do first to my car any imput helps. Thanks Alot
Get a Y pipe and maybe some new struts and call it a day. Don't get into the intake hoopla either. You'll get the most out of a Y pipe for the dollars you spend on it.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:35 PM

the first thing????.......................TURBO

just, my first mods were....UDP, y pipe, CAI, and some headlight/tail light mods.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:59 PM

I would go with an upgraded suspension, maxima's aint really slow, but the handling suck$ in fast corners. Bodyroll is too much and the suspension is just to soft on stock maxima's. After upgrading your suspension you will be able to take corners a lot faster so you can keep your speed up a lot better, I think thats more important then a few horses more or looking a bit better.

An example for a good setup IMHO is:
Illumina's struts, eibach springs, plus a cattman RSB and FSTB kit.

Good luck with your maxima

Greetings, Maximus
Old 10-21-2004, 04:13 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by v6maximus
After upgrading your suspension you will be able to take corners a lot faster so you can keep your speed up a lot better, I think thats more important then a few horses more or looking a bit better
Greetings, Maximus

Not if your riding on crappy stock tires, if you are good luck.

FSTB does little to nothing.Their cheap, so that can be bought whenever.
Get FSB poly bushings instead.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:51 PM

y pipe, intake...that's what i would do first, then whatever after that...
Old 10-21-2004, 04:57 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

Y-pipe and struts and springs.....$700 shold take care of it...if some left over get a dash kit and some gauge rings.

and FSTB does do a good deal if you are on stock suspension. I put mine on when i was not dropped and it made alot of differance, you could feel it a great deal even going slow trhough turn arounds. but if you are dropped you do not feel it to much extent. drop it and y-pipe it.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:05 PM
sachmo12345

something that will cost 2.50$ clean your throttle body and it will be a smoother car

Old 10-21-2004, 05:15 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

if your looking to do performance stuff get a cai. injen seems to be the best. also get a y-pipe and highflow cat. i got mine from warpspeed. those 3 things rite there should cost around the 600 dollar mark.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by larryseibel
if your looking to do performance stuff get a cai. injen seems to be the best. also get a y-pipe and highflow cat. i got mine from warpspeed. those 3 things rite there should cost around the 600 dollar mark.
first of all, there is no best intake, they all have their pros and cons... secondly, dont waste money on a high flow cat, it gives you maybe 1hp... and a test pipe is generally recommended for boosted cars...

id recommend a:

y-pipe - they are pretty much all the same, read around for pros and cons of each...

intake - injen style you dont have to drill your fender, and pr style, you get cooler air... its your decision, but id recommend replacing your filter with a k&n for a bit more gains... not much at all... all intakes of the same style are the same, so you'd be ok buying an intake off ebay for around $50-60 shipped to your door...

exhaust - id recommend just buying a muffler (dynomax superturbo) and having an exhaust shop make your a resonated 2.5" b-pipe...

that way all your performance (na) will be takin care of... almost... besides udp, which arent really worth it... and mevi and ecu, but those are HUGE steps and i think this would start your off on great...

do what you want dude...
Old 10-21-2004, 05:44 PM

I.M.O I would get CAI, a Y pipe, tint, and a stereo first... I would wait out winter and save some money, and come aprilish... put out cash, and get headers, coilovers, RSB, FSTB, wheels, and a stillen kit. YOU do that, and youl have a sexy car. (and get clears like tonight...)
Old 10-21-2004, 07:57 PM

how long have u had your car?

my suggestion is to drive stock for a while to make sure everything is okay with the car. trust me, u dont want to blow that 700 dollars and 3 weeks later u have a major problem with the car. make sure you have no codes in the ECU, read the FAQ in the stickies and make sure everything is okay. I would recomend doing a tune up, and doing it your self to save money.

NGX Plat plugs
Oil change + filter
Fuel filter change
Engine coolant
rotate, and properly inflate tires
tranny fluid change
check cv joints for boot rips

those are all basic things that should be done when purchasing a car. even if the prev owner told u it was done id do it anyway casue chances are he may be lying, unless he can come up with reciepts. This is all fairly easy and shouldnt take more than a full day to do, or if your kinda new to cars 2 days max. its very easy and will give you a very good understanding on how the max works. besides its kinda fun..... well it is to me. the whole tune up wont cost you more than 50-60 bux in parts depending on what brands you buy and wheter or not u need to get some tools.

as far as performance parts go, it is more traditional to start off with an intake. read around the FAQ and you'll get a basic break down on how each intake works. i personally have an INJEN style intake. it was my 1st performance mod and cost like 60 bux for the intake, then i switched the filter with an APEXi filter my friend had.

next up is a y-pipe, this is one of the best bang for the buck mods and should either be your 1st or second mod for sure. my warpspeed pipe was 160 shipped. an intake and y-pipe will def leave you with pleny of $$$ left over.

next i would go with a FSTB to help the suspension out. they are dirt cheap on ebay, i got mine for 35 bux shipped. there are cheaper ones aswell.

Rear sway bar..... helps handling even more than fstb and is fairly cheap as well, install is a lil more detailed than FSTB tho

for some looks upgrade, id get some sylvania silverstar headlighs (looks super nice almost like HID and give better night visibility than stock, so its a safety mod as well as a cosmetic mod) i got mine at pep boys for like 39 bux i think.

then id get some hyper white bulbs for the corners and do the mod to make them shine brighter( super easy). bulbs are 7 each at pepboys and are very decent.

Diamond cut bumper lens, like 30-40 bux i think and look a hella lot better than stock orange ones. there are also some black chrome bumper lenses, and would look great on your black max.

indiglo or Reverse indiglo gauges. thats if you want to add a different looks to your interior, i have reverse indiglo and they look awsome at night. check my car domain for pics. easy to install and only like 30 bux shipped.

Tint windows, i wouldnt recomend doing this yourself tho, let the pros do it. i have 5% and i think it was like $186 after tax.

Do the AE mod to your headlights and corner lights, all u need is black paint and silicone glue if i remember correctly. that costs like 10 bux.

Do the red clear mod to your tail lights, thats like free almost...well except for the cost of silicone glue.

since you still gonna have a crap load of money left over, go to a performance muffler shop and get a dynomax or maganflow muffler to add a lil sound to your car. my dynomax muffer sounds awsome and cost like $110 bux with a muffler tip and install. you can always get the B-pipe as well which is like 140 bux, or you can add it after winter is done so it doesnt rust for now.

other cheap mods:
clean and dress up your engine bay 15-20 bux on parts
paint calipers, well u would need rims 1st, 6 bux
complete car detailing,priceless, black maxes look better clean than dirty lol.
change bulbs inside car for different colors, if thats ur thing. 8 bux.

Well ive given you a list of a **** load of stuff you can do to your max and best of all, they are all SUPER CHEAP MODS THAT YOU CAN DO ALL BY YOURSELF!!!!!!! well except for the tint job. I personally could not take my stock max and dump 700 bux all on one mod. id rather add 20-30 cheap mods to start the ball rolling then id get the eexpensive stuff. I jus wanted to give you a different view than everyone else is saying. check out my page to see all the stuff i have done, im doin basicly everything i jus listed to you, im now movin on to more expensive stuff like rims and ECU. You many not be able to get all these mods but im sure u can get 95% of them with 700 bux.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:35 PM
VK56 Inside

Quote: Flavor

"FSTB does little to nothing.Their cheap, so that can be bought whenever.
Get FSB poly bushings instead."

I agree the FSTB does very little, but IMO DO NOT get the poly bushings. I bought the energy suspension ones, and the horse shoe shaped bushings where torn in half with in 3 months. I had this ghetto a$$ sqeeking that I was blaming on my Tokico Suspension until my mechanic pulled out half of my new poly bushing. They do little to nothing unless you have a full poly kit. Even then I would be wary of how long they would last. Replace your stock FSB bushings with new stock rubber ones.

Out of all the mods I have done to my car. Which isnt a whole lot. I got the most enjoyment out of the lower stiffer suspension. I am getting my Y pipe next week, so we will see if that stays true.

Dub
Old 10-21-2004, 08:39 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by Dubbya
Quote: Flavor

"FSTB does little to nothing.Their cheap, so that can be bought whenever.
Get FSB poly bushings instead."

I agree the FSTB does very little, but IMO DO NOT get the poly bushings. I bought the energy suspension ones, and the horse shoe shaped bushings where torn in half with in 3 months. I had this ghetto a$$ sqeeking that I was blaming on my Tokico Suspension until my mechanic pulled out half of my new poly bushing. They do little to nothing unless you have a full poly kit. Even then I would be wary of how long they would last. Replace your stock FSB bushings with new stock rubber ones.

Out of all the mods I have done to my car. Which isnt a whole lot. I got the most enjoyment out of the lower stiffer suspension. I am getting my Y pipe next week, so we will see if that stays true.

Dub

Hmm, Ive had mine on for over 2 years, No issues. When I installed them I immediatly felt my front end was stiffer. Especially turning.
Others I havce talked had the same experience. You are the first that I have ever heard dislike them or had them fall apart.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by JaMdMax97
and a Y pipe.... at least thats what I did when I was 17 with the car
Old 10-21-2004, 08:50 PM
VK56 Inside

Hmm, Ive had mine on for over 2 years, No issues. When I installed them I immediatly felt my front end was stiffer. Especially turning.
Others I havce talked had the same experience. You are the first that I have ever heard dislike them or had them fall apart.

Well, how shot where your stock ones when you replaced them? If they where toast, even new stock rubber may have made a huge difference. I posted up on this about 2 weeks ago and someone else had the exact same problem. I cant find the post now, but if someone that is a paying member can find it that would be cool. I honestly cant tell the difference when i went back to stock rubbers.

Dub
Old 10-21-2004, 09:16 PM

Radar detector these cars get loud once you modify them.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by sterlingmaxima
Radar detector these cars get loud once you modify them.
and your point is? just because our car is loud, doesn't mean we will get pulled over because of it... look at all the civics and fart cans running around... given a cop just might want something to do, but other than that we are just like all the other "tuners" out there...

i agree to a radar detector, but doing it just because our cars get "loud", i would rather spend money on something else...
Old 10-22-2004, 07:26 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by Dubbya

Well, how shot where your stock ones when you replaced them? If they where toast, even new stock rubber may have made a huge difference. I posted up on this about 2 weeks ago and someone else had the exact same problem. I cant find the post now, but if someone that is a paying member can find it that would be cool. I honestly cant tell the difference when i went back to stock rubbers.

Dub

Hear ya go....
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=344764

After reading, yeah looks like they can crap out.
My OEM units were fine when I swapped. The only reason I installed them is my buddy bought quite a bit and had some left over. I took it to his shop and he just threw them in real quick.
I never had any squeaky noises and they felt really good.
I guess I'll just wait it out and when they do crap out I'll have to debate on wether to go back to OEM or get the ploy units agian.
You still gonna come by my house today?
I'll PM you my # and just call me when your ready if you do.