4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Oil Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 11:54 AM

Oil Cooler

Is it worth the $50 to get a oil cooler. I heard they make the car temp go down 50 degress. Is this true and is it worth it?
Old 10-29-2004, 12:05 PM

Assuming you're talking about a transmission oil cooler, unless you're towing a trailer or w.h.y that would cause your tranny oil to rise above normal operating temps hence needing the cooler it's not required. Your transmission & oil is spec'd to operate at a standard temp so cooling it isn't below that isn't always the best thing. Hope this helps good luck
Old 10-29-2004, 01:04 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Short answer no....engine oil or tranny.

Engine oil:
If your regular cooling system is up to date on maintenance there is no real need for this unless you are on the track...and even then the need is questionable with a liquid cooled engine. The thermostat will regulate the coolant temp regardless of other changes you do anyway.

An important issue to think about too, engine oil needs to get into the low to mid 200 degree range to 'burn' off contamination...(water and gas from combustion blow by). I am sure an oil cooler would drop temps of the oil significantly, but to my point above, thats not always a good thing. And if you aren't getting to temps that the oil can't handle you are gaining nothing.

Transmission Oil:
Tranny fluid could certainly be cooled in a dedicated radiator as it is not subject to the type of contamination that engine oil is. Tranny fluid is also more susceptible to heat break down than engine oil. In the case of the Maxima the tranny fluid is cooled (actually I prefer the term "regulated") by the engine coolant to around 190F. Pulling a trailer, racing, or really hot climates would be scenerios where there could be benefit. But I would save the $50 on the cooler and switch the tranny to synthetic ATF first.
Old 10-31-2004, 09:34 PM

oil engine coolers are no good because it is hard to find one that will fit for a maxima, ive looked. you can only find those kits that you have to modify. and i would not recommend it because the bracket that fits on you oil filter will mess up you oil pressure. I would not mess with any aftermarket oil pressure regulators, you wont find them for MAXIMAS. If you want to keep you engine cool, just turn on your heat at full blast when at red light or before after and during a race. But your *** gonna fry!!!!!!!!!! WHOOOO
Old 10-31-2004, 09:47 PM

Wow...
Yes it is worth it. Have you ever seen the actual oil cooler? its basically a metal line in front of the transmission. No matter what anyone says, yes it will save the transmission by keeping it cooler over time. Will it be something noticable? Probably not. But if you do alot of city driving I would more than recommend it. Overheating is the #1 cause of transmission failures. Transmission fluid is very succeptible to over heating and once it does... You have to get it out of the system. Get a transmission cooler for $50 that will take you half an hour to install and flush the system and put in synthetic fluid and you'll be set.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by wmhashem
oil engine coolers are no good because it is hard to find one that will fit for a maxima, ive looked. you can only find those kits that you have to modify. and i would not recommend it because the bracket that fits on you oil filter will mess up you oil pressure. I would not mess with any aftermarket oil pressure regulators, you wont find them for MAXIMAS. If you want to keep you engine cool, just turn on your heat at full blast when at red light or before after and during a race. But your *** gonna fry!!!!!!!!!! WHOOOO
stillen makes a bolt on kit for about $300 if you really want one