4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

sunroof problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 05:47 PM

sunroof problem

Hello everyone,

I own a 1996 maxima SE. I was driving tonight and went to open the sunroof and all i got was a buzzing noise with no movement. The same thing happened from both switches. I then tried it again and gave the switch area a good smack and the roof opened. Once it opened, it made the same buzz noise without any movement, uh oh.... So, I tried the old smackaroo technique while pushing the slide swith closed and it worked.

I'm not real familiar with the mechanicals of the sunroof yet so I thought I'd see if anyone here has an idea of what the problem might be.

Thanks for any input...
Old 10-30-2004, 06:57 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Was the buzz coming from the switch itself or perhaps the motor?
The motor is located up in front of the roof pretty close to the switches.
Normally DC current doesn't make a buzz noise - i.e. bad electrical connection.
The motor, if binding will hum or buzz. Your roof might need to be lubed, worse off rebuilt.
Old 10-30-2004, 09:11 PM
faster than you think

mine is freaking wierd too. it make some loud noise like wild bat only in the morning. i dunno why then when it gets hot outside its fine.
Old 10-31-2004, 12:49 AM

uhhhhh, i really doubt it was the switch itself that was buzzing. It is something in the drive mechanism itself i'm assuming. Does anyone have any good technical information on this system?

Thanks again...
Old 10-31-2004, 05:06 AM

njmaxseltd is right with his post. I'd lube the guides/channels and see if that helps (after cleaning them thoroughly). There have been posts about rebuilding the sunroof, but I can't remember who posted it. Your motor may also be gummed up or binding from dust, dirt, and rust mixed with any lube on it. I've cleaned electrical motors of all rust and crud, sprayed with WD-40, and they work fine again for awhile. Unfortunately, if they've been binding for awhile, there's already been damage, so they won't last as long as a new one.

tedo007, yours sounds like a lube problem. When grease (and the crud that gets mixed with it) gets cold, it "gums" up. When warm, it is thinner and works properly. I'd really clean everything (channels, guides, etc...), and relube. Remember that a little light grease is all it needs. Too much grease will just get gummed up and duplicate the problem. Can't remember off the top of my head what lube Nissan recommends (probably a white lithium grease), but it's probably not something thick like wheel bearing grease. A thick grease is good for items under pressure, but is a poor choice for light weight items like sunroofs. Thicker lubes create more rsistance, which only gets worse as it gets dirty and colder.

Dave
Old 10-31-2004, 05:17 AM

njmaxseltd is right with his post. I'd lube the guides/channels and see if that helps (after cleaning them thoroughly). There have been posts about rebuilding the sunroof, but I can't remember who posted it. Your motor may also be gummed up or binding from dust, dirt, and rust mixed with any lube on it. I've cleaned electrical motors of all rust and crud, sprayed with WD-40, and they work fine again for awhile. Unfortunately, if they've been binding for awhile, there's already been damage, so they won't last as long as a new one.

tedo007, yours sounds like a lube problem. When grease (and the crud that gets mixed with it) gets cold, it "gums" up. When warm, it is thinner and works properly. I'd really clean everything (channels, guides, etc...), and relube. Remember that a little light grease is all it needs. Too much grease will just get gummed up and duplicate the problem. Can't remember off the top of my head what lube Nissan recommends (probably a white lithium grease), but it's probably not something thick like wheel bearing grease. A thick grease is good for items under pressure, but is a poor choice for light weight items like sunroofs. Thicker lubes create more rsistance, which only gets worse as it gets dirty and colder.

Dave
Old 10-31-2004, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Dave Holmes
There have been posts about rebuilding the sunroof, but I can't remember who posted it.
Dave
I think that was deezo. He's got the whole rebuild documented with pics.
Old 10-31-2004, 07:10 AM

Found it!

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=132724
Old 10-31-2004, 07:19 AM

My sunroof motor makes areally strange noise when my car is left in the sun. Ya know when the sunroof stops when its reached its limit and you normaly just hear a slight click and the motor struggle a littlle bit? (The point where you release the button) Well, when mine is hot, it starts to howel really loudly. But its only when its hot outside.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:17 AM
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake

only use the wd40 to clean up the gunk, then put some grease in there. wd40 is not a lube.