4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

OIL FOUND IN THE intake duct = 0

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2001, 02:15 PM
ryz

Now a pulled down my intake ,maf sensor ;all the stuff up to the trottle body ,there was a mess of oil all over the place ,well traces, up on further investigation i found oil trapped in side that harmonica looking part just before the throttle body .Can any body explain that for me ,just curious
(just as you requested mr.bean )
Old 04-16-2001, 02:28 PM
I'm needing a caw

Replace the PCV valve and see if that helps
Old 04-16-2001, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by ryz
Now a pulled down my intake ,maf sensor ;all the stuff up to the trottle body ,there was a mess of oil all over the place ,well traces, up on further investigation i found oil trapped in side that harmonica looking part just before the throttle body .Can any body explain that for me ,just curious
(just as you requested mr.bean )
Look at the upper right hand corner of the valve cover on the front cylinder bank. There is a black rubber molded hose, about as thick as your thumb, which runs from the valve cover to the air duct, between the Mass Air Flow Sensor and the "harmonica looking part". (I think it might be described as "bellows" or "accordian".) That hose is supposed to carry filtered air into the engine. That air swirls around in the crankcase area, mixes with blowby gases and oily vapors, passes through the Positive Crankcase Valve, and then to the intake manifold.

If the PCV valve were stuck closed the blowby gases have to go somewhere. One way for them to escape the engine is to "swim upstream", through the fresh air hose. That would deposit oily gunk in your engine's air duct, and probably the Throttle Body too.

Check your PCV valve and replace it if clogged. Make sure the PVC hose is clear. Check the Throttle Body and clean that too, if needed.
Old 04-16-2001, 02:47 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Jeff.....

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Look at the upper right hand corner of the valve cover on the front cylinder bank. There is a black rubber molded hose, about as thick as your thumb, which runs from the valve cover to the air duct, between the Mass Air Flow Sensor and the "harmonica looking part". (I think it might be described as "bellows" or "accordian".) That hose is supposed to carry filtered air into the engine. That air swirls around in the crankcase area, mixes with blowby gases and oily vapors, passes through the Positive Crankcase Valve, and then to the intake manifold.

If the PCV valve were stuck closed the blowby gases have to go somewhere. One way for them to escape the engine is to "swim upstream", through the fresh air hose. That would deposit oily gunk in your engine's air duct, and probably the Throttle Body too.

Check your PCV valve and replace it if clogged. Make sure the PVC hose is clear. Check the Throttle Body and clean that too, if needed.
Your answer sucked, man. Daniel's was much better.....

Old 04-16-2001, 02:51 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Jeff.....

Bill bite me okay? I am right. I was faster than Daniel. I am to the point. Don't ask me why but just do what I say!But again I am right. So there....bleahhhhhhhhhhh

Originally posted by bill99gxe

Your answer sucked, man. Daniel's was much better.....

Old 04-16-2001, 02:56 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Anyone with a

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Bill bite me okay? I am right. I was faster than Daniel. I am to the point. Don't ask me why but just do what I say!But again I am right. So there....bleahhhhhhhhhhh

tick-prone VE shouldn't be answering Q's in the 4th gen forum anyway......

And Jeff was having such a peaceful few days while I was gone.......
Old 04-16-2001, 05:26 PM

Jeff is fast and Jeff is right!

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Jeff, your answer was fast, your answer was concise, your answer was right. In my long-winded style, I tried to give a more detailed explanation.

Let's all pitch in and give help the best way we know. Don't take any static from the peanut gallery!
Old 04-16-2001, 05:34 PM
ryz

cool

Thanks a lot fellas I thought my pcv valvewould probably be good for another few thousands miles seeing that I only have 37000 on the car ;oh well, good free advise always makes you feel better about a situation than being in the dark with some dealer picking your pocket :smile: thanks again
If i put in one of those crank case breather things that looks like a minature pop charger on the valve cover +change the pvc valve that should stop "that" right in it tracks right....:
Old 04-16-2001, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Re: cool

does a bad PVC valve or whatever affect performance in anyway? and if so what signs?

Originally posted by ryz
Thanks a lot fellas I thought my pcv valvewould probably be good for another few thousands miles seeing that I only have 37000 on the car ;oh well, good free advise always makes you feel better about a situation than being in the dark with some dealer picking your pocket :smile: thanks again
If i put in one of those crank case breather things that looks like a minature pop charger on the valve cover +change the pvc valve that should stop "that" right in it tracks right....:
Old 04-16-2001, 06:34 PM

PCV valve malfunctions

Originally posted by SprintMax
does a bad PVC valve or whatever affect performance in anyway? and if so what signs?
A stuck-open PCV valve causes a rough idle. A stuck-closed PCV valve causes oil leaks. The PCV valve isn't a performance-limiting part.
Old 04-16-2001, 06:43 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Jeff is fast and Jeff is right!

Don't worry Danial. Bill and I know each other and have met before. He's just jealous of our vast maxima knowledge! har-har. It's all good.

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Jeff, your answer was fast, your answer was concise, your answer was right. In my long-winded style, I tried to give a more detailed explanation.

Let's all pitch in and give help the best way we know. Don't take any static from the peanut gallery!
Old 04-16-2001, 09:08 PM
GNGXE

Oil in the intake can slow you down, you burn gas and air,not oil(hopefully). I would say it lowers octane,decreasing performance