4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help! --> Clutch slip, how much time left till i need to replace?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 09:31 AM

Help! --> Clutch slip, how much time left till i need to replace?

Hey Guys!

A couple days ago I was merging into fast traffic... I floored it in 3rd and at around 3500rpms my rpms started climbing VERY fast, but my car was not moving as fast... my clutch was slipping!

I can still drive the car, but i can't fully floor it

How long do you guys think my clutch has to live?

I'm curious if I can last another 6 months, another 2 weeks... etc...

Thanks guys

OH! and what would you guys recommend as a replacement?

I drive my car decently hard... I don't take it to the track... I'm getting some pure performance summer tires next summer...

Thanks
Old 11-16-2004, 09:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You most likely have about 3-4 months....depending on how much you use it.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:52 AM

mine use to slip a lot in 2nd gear when it was slammed into.. but after i got my tranny flushed and slave bleed it's all good now. To tell if your clutch is going. put the car in 4th gear with RPM's at 2k and let go of the clutch. If it stalls your in good shape if it doesnt well its up to you when you want to replace it.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:53 AM

Used about 5 miles every day... weekends about 10-20 miles.

Should I just keep using it, or attempt to replace it soon?
Old 11-16-2004, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by SMX95
mine use to slip a lot in 2nd gear when it was slammed into.. but after i got my tranny flushed and slave bleed it's all good now. To tell if your clutch is going. put the car in 4th gear with RPM's at 2k and let go of the clutch. If it stalls your in good shape if it doesnt well its up to you when you want to replace it.
ah interesting, I'll give that a shot tonight.

Curious, but can you recommend a good replacement clutch?
Act II or something? or?

Thanks for the info
Old 11-16-2004, 09:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

There is no exact answer. It all depends on how you drive it.

You can burn a brand new stock clutch out in an afternoon by being "stupid" (ie repeated high rpm clutch dumps with no cooldown period)

As long as the torque the engine develops does not exceed the limit of static friction between your flywheel and clutch disc, your clutch will hold.

Drive like "granny" and your clutch could last for years.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:02 AM

I will only use stock clutch unless you got 50+ more hp than stock then you need to beef up you clutch so your tranny doesnt go. Here is somthing ive learned from my clutch teacher and its great info for people that dont understand how stuff works. Clutches go through hell from everyday driving. In city like areas our clutches take the most abuse because we are always engaging and disengaging the clutch. Now if our trannys are only made to withstand 205 hp then beefing up the clutch wouldnt be a smart idea. We have torqsenal springs on the clutch. These springs allow play movement for smooth engagments. if you get a peformace clutch without these springs, well in simple words if its not made for the tranny it will break the tranny. I can go into full detail but performance clutches should be used on car that are boosting and not daily drivers (I can be surely wrong about this but im positive if its not made for the tranny it shouldnt be used). Performance flywheels are the same. Just simple knowlegde that Ive learned in my clutch performace class. Hope it helped you.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by SMX95
I will only use stock clutch unless you got 50+ more hp than stock then you need to beef up you clutch so your tranny doesnt go. Here is somthing ive learned from my clutch teacher and its great info for people that dont understand how stuff works. Clutches go through hell from everyday driving. In city like areas our clutches take the most abuse because we are always engaging and disengaging the clutch. Now if our trannys are only made to withstand 205 hp then beefing up the clutch wouldnt be a smart idea. We have torqsenal springs on the clutch. These springs allow play movement for smooth engagments. if you get a peformace clutch without these springs, well in simple words if its not made for the tranny it will break the tranny. I can go into full detail but performance clutches should be used on car that are boosting and not daily drivers (I can be surely wrong about this but im positive if its not made for the tranny it shouldnt be used). Performance flywheels are the same. Just simple knowlegde that Ive learned in my clutch performace class. Hope it helped you.

Very interesting, good to know.

I was personally considering getting something only a bit better than stock... since i dont' drive on a track or whatnot... but only drive my car kinda hard. For this, you still believe a stock clutch would be sufficient?

Judging from your text, I personally would say that a stock one would still be fine. Just checking though

note, that I wouldn't want a performance one, just one that's a bit better than my current one type thing