4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Clutch slipping. Anything I can do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 02:40 PM

Clutch slipping. Anything I can do?

My clutch just started slipping and I am going to the track Tuesday. Is there anything I can do to help it. I know you can't stop it but anything would help. And could someone advise me as to how to let the clutch last for the longest time so it won't slip? I know in time it goes bad, but any help? Thanks.

Mooney
Old 11-18-2004, 04:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

umm...dont goto the track maybe? its not going to perform how it should anyway, you might as well get some life out of it instead of beating on it at the track.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:49 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

you're SOL for the track on tuesday.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:57 PM

It's not slipping real bad, I think. Just whenever I drive hard and I shift into second the RPM's drop slower than they usually do. And I can't get a new one becuase my parents won't let me buy something for my car unless it's broken. So I should really not go to the track?

P.S. What does SOL mean? Sold Out of Luck?

Mooney
Old 11-18-2004, 05:27 PM
blah

If your clutch started slipping, replace it immediately to risk severe damage to your flywheel. The last thing you should be doing is racing in this situation. Drive like a grandma till you get a new clutch.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:30 PM
Rollin' on 'Caps

SOL = **** Out of Luck

You were close
Old 11-18-2004, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Batxel
If your clutch started slipping, replace it immediately to risk severe damage to your flywheel. The last thing you should be doing is racing in this situation. Drive like a grandma till you get a new clutch.
Thanks. So what kind should I get. I was going to get the Fidanza flywheel. I have heard bad things about ACT so that's out of the question. I hear OEM is the way to go? Any comments on what type of clutch?How about this exedy? I am not looking for big performance since I have minor bolt ons, but I am looking for something to last long. I hear Nissan key value is not the way to go either. Please comment.

Slackr237: Thanks. If you do an upside-down exclamation point it looks like sh¡t. I'm not sure if this is a way to get banned or not so sorry to everyone offended.

P.S. Should I go ahead and make a new thread?

Mooney
Old 11-18-2004, 07:02 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Originally Posted by JMooney5115
It's not slipping real bad, I think. Just whenever I drive hard and I shift into second the RPM's drop slower than they usually do. And I can't get a new one becuase my parents won't let me buy something for my car unless it's broken. So I should really not go to the track?

P.S. What does SOL mean? Sold Out of Luck?

Mooney
Rpm's dropping slow? Doesn't sound like a slipping clutch to me. Droping rpm's indicates your in between gears and the clutch is disengaged at that point so no slipage would be possible. A slipping clutch is when the rpm's rise to fast while in gear and your not accelerating....hence the clutch slipping against the flywheel.

If you want you can try adjusting the clutch to grab a little closer to the floor. My clutch was slightly slipping at the track last month and I just lowerd the engagement point a bit and it held better the next week at the track. It is not a fix but it can help to put a little more pressure on the flywheel.
Old 11-19-2004, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
Rpm's dropping slow? Doesn't sound like a slipping clutch to me. Droping rpm's indicates your in between gears and the clutch is disengaged at that point so no slipage would be possible. A slipping clutch is when the rpm's rise to fast while in gear and your not accelerating....hence the clutch slipping against the flywheel.

If you want you can try adjusting the clutch to grab a little closer to the floor. My clutch was slightly slipping at the track last month and I just lowerd the engagement point a bit and it held better the next week at the track. It is not a fix but it can help to put a little more pressure on the flywheel.
Aight. I heard different, I guess they were wrong. It felt like it was better today than all of last week. I guess I'll how it goes. Thanks for clearing things up and for saving me a few hundred dollars.

Mooney
Old 11-19-2004, 08:43 PM
Maxima lover

I think my clutch is slipping. I was on the highway the other day in 5th and punched it and the rpms shot up for about 1/2 sec then i got the power. Is this a slipping clutch? It fells like I'm driving an automatic. How do you auto guys get around it traffic having to wait for the car to downshift when you punch it?

Old 11-19-2004, 08:50 PM

i dont get it.

Thanks. So what kind should I get. I was going to get the Fidanza flywheel. I have heard bad things about ACT so that's out of the question. I hear OEM is the way to go? Any comments on what type of clutch?How about this exedy? I am not looking for big performance since I have minor bolt ons, but I am looking for something to last long. I hear Nissan key value is not the way to go either. Please comment.

Mooney
Maybe its just me but you said you cant get money to fix your car unless its broken but you were going to get a Fidanza Flywheel? Put that money toward a new clutch, A lighter flywheel wont help much if you have a bad clutch that cant grab it.

Key valve is a low quality OEM part, no where near the quality of OEM parts but is usually quite cheaper for obvious reasons.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by MDeezy
Maybe its just me but you said you cant get money to fix your car unless its broken but you were going to get a Fidanza Flywheel? Put that money toward a new clutch, A lighter flywheel wont help much if you have a bad clutch that cant grab it.

Key valve is a low quality OEM part, no where near the quality of OEM parts but is usually quite cheaper for obvious reasons.

I said my parents won't let me buy anything for my car unless it needs fixed. I was gonna get the Fidanza for performance. I have the money, but don't wanna spend it unsless I need to, and when I get a new clutch I'm going to get the flywheel.

Maxima lover: I heard to find out if it's slipping you go 50MPH in 5th gear, push in clutch, rev to 4000RPM, ad drop the clutch. And if the RPM's don't drop fast then it's slipping. Found if in a thread in the NA forum. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Mooney
Old 11-19-2004, 10:10 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

I said my parents won't let me buy anything for my car unless it needs fixed. I was gonna get the Fidanza for performance. I have the money, but don't wanna spend it unsless I need to, and when I get a new clutch I'm going to get the flywheel.

Maxima lover: I heard to find out if it's slipping you go 50MPH in 5th gear, push in clutch, rev to 4000RPM, ad drop the clutch. And if the RPM's don't drop fast then it's slipping. Found if in a thread in the NA forum. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Mooney
Guess you just have to do a couple of burnouts or redline dumps to make that clutch slip even more so you can get it replace.d. Just Joking.
Don't go to the track on Tues, if your clutch is slipping then u wouldnt get an accurate time anyways so it would be a waste. Same your money, get a Exedy stage one (OEM) or OEM if you don't plan on doing anymore modding, do a stage 2 if otherwise. Don't drop or dump the clutch, that would help with making it last, many times sh*t breaks because of wear and tear but if you beat it up even more, its not gonna last as long. Common sense.
Old 11-20-2004, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by jcy98maxse
Guess you just have to do a couple of burnouts or redline dumps to make that clutch slip even more so you can get it replace.d. Just Joking.
Don't go to the track on Tues, if your clutch is slipping then u wouldnt get an accurate time anyways so it would be a waste. Save your money, get a Exedy stage one (OEM) or OEM if you don't plan on doing anymore modding, do a stage 2 if otherwise. Don't drop or dump the clutch, that would help with making it last, many times sh*t breaks because of wear and tear but if you beat it up even more, its not gonna last as long. Common sense.

I don't know if it is slipping now. I have heard 2 different things. But the days I thought it was, I think the car was just performing differently because now the clutch is like it always has been. So, I might just go to the track, the weather probably won't permit it though, 50% chance of rain. But when you say get a stage 2 if I plan on doing other mods, what other mods did you consider when you said to get a stage 2.(Hope this makes since) Thanks.

Mooney
Old 11-20-2004, 07:07 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

spray or boost.
Old 11-20-2004, 07:26 PM

Mooney, come on! We all know your car is slow! ..S.O.L.= Slow Or Lackadaisical...or i dunno.......your car is fine; just drive like your brother.. until the car blows up from driving too fast and then get what ever broke fixed
Old 11-20-2004, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by NissanSE98
Mooney, come on! We all know your car is slow! ..S.O.L.= Slow Or Lackadaisical...or i dunno.......your car is fine; just drive like your brother.. until the car blows up from driving too fast and then get what ever broke fixed
Well, I think I'm faster than you. I don't want to drive like my brother cause he drives crazy. If my car blows up I'll get pissed, I almost blew my motor once though. I thought you quit the .org? guess not.

Mooney

P.S. Don't plan on boost or N20 anytime soon.