4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

faced with a dilemma...need your help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2001, 08:28 PM

OK, here is the question. I had a broken sunroof (but working sunshade) and had the sunroof assembly replaced. The day after I picked up a car (I picked it up after work) the aluminum things on the sunshade that slide on the sunroof railing broke- I only opened and closed it maybe 10-15 times, trying to test if it was really fixed. Anyway, I took it to a mechanic and he says that he'll replace the sunshade free, if I get a new one. (We never actually discussed who was to blame for the breakage as I did not want any confrontation over what I thought would be a relatively cheap part AND also because I thought that maybe my opening & closing broke it, even though it should not have).
Now that I am thinking about it- he had to take it out of the sunroof assembly, in order to put in the new assembly. And that's when I think he bent the clips, so that they broke the next day after a few openings (once aluminum is bent it breaks very easily).

Now, I am thinking of confronting him (I doubt that he'll give in too easily given that the cheapest sunshade I was able to find runs just short of $300).

Am I right in my intentions?

Thanks a lot
Roman
Old 04-17-2001, 09:15 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

$300!!! Have you try Tacoma Nissan in Washington http://www.worldparts.com/tacomanissan/, Courtesy Nissan in Texas, Vester Nissan in NC or South point nissan http://www.southpointnissan.com/

Originally posted by Roman-dude
Now, I am thinking of confronting him (I doubt that he'll give in too easily given that the cheapest sunshade I was able to find runs just short of $300).

Thanks a lot
Roman [/B]
Old 04-17-2001, 09:18 PM

Thanks, I'll check the others, but the Courtesy wanted over $400! The reason it's so expensive is that it's either original Nissan or NOTHING!

Anyway, what about my question?
Thanks again

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
$300!!! Have you try Tacoma Nissan in Washington http://www.worldparts.com/tacomanissan/, Courtesy Nissan in Texas, Vester Nissan in NC or South point nissan http://www.southpointnissan.com/

Old 04-18-2001, 12:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Definitely should be brought up.

Originally posted by Roman-dude
OK, here is the question. I had a broken sunroof (but working sunshade) and had the sunroof assembly replaced. The day after I picked up a car (I picked it up after work) the aluminum things on the sunshade that slide on the sunroof railing broke- I only opened and closed it maybe 10-15 times, trying to test if it was really fixed. Anyway, I took it to a mechanic and he says that he'll replace the sunshade free, if I get a new one. (We never actually discussed who was to blame for the breakage as I did not want any confrontation over what I thought would be a relatively cheap part AND also because I thought that maybe my opening & closing broke it, even though it should not have).
Now that I am thinking about it- he had to take it out of the sunroof assembly, in order to put in the new assembly. And that's when I think he bent the clips, so that they broke the next day after a few openings (once aluminum is bent it breaks very easily).

Thanks a lot
Roman
Although, usually when you come back to confront a mechanic in this situation (unless he's a nice guy) it will do little or no good. Never hurts to try though.
Old 04-18-2001, 07:25 AM

Re: Definitely should be brought up.

Thanks. Does not anyone else have an opinion?

Also, I could always go to a small claims court as the last resort....

Originally posted by BSwithTF

Although, usually when you come back to confront a mechanic in this situation (unless he's a nice guy) it will do little or no good. Never hurts to try though.