4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

how to lubricate windows?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2001, 09:51 PM

i read somwhere about someone doing it and now there window rolls much faster. how do i get to it and with what? is there an easy way or do i still have to take the door apart? thanks
Old 04-18-2001, 05:19 AM

Originally posted by _DRU_
i read somwhere about someone doing it and now there window rolls much faster. how do i get to it and with what? is there an easy way or do i still have to take the door apart? thanks
There is no need to take the door apart to lubricate the window guide channels.

The window rides up and down guided by channels at the leading and trailing edges. The trailing edge channel extends to the top of the window travel and the upper part is easy to see. The leading edge channel is shorter and is enclosed within the door.

Lower the window all the way. Spray the window channels with silicone spray lubricant. Use the long red plastic "straw" to deliver the lube to the lower part of the channels which are down inside the doors. Wipe off any overspray which lands on painted surfaces. This should produce an immediate improvement. If it doesn't, you may have a problem with the power window regulator. Servicing that part does require removal of the inside trim panel.
Old 04-18-2001, 05:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
There is no need to take the door apart to lubricate the window guide channels.

The window rides up and down guided by channels at the leading and trailing edges. The trailing edge channel extends to the top of the window travel and the upper part is easy to see. The leading edge channel is shorter and is enclosed within the door.

Lower the window all the way. Spray the window channels with silicone spray lubricant. Use the long red plastic "straw" to deliver the lube to the lower part of the channels which are down inside the doors. Wipe off any overspray which lands on painted surfaces. This should produce an immediate improvement. If it doesn't, you may have a problem with the power window regulator. Servicing that part does require removal of the inside trim panel.
Dan, I have never seen it happen but is it true in your experiences that WD40 eats rubber in the long run? I have used WD40 in the past with no problems of destroying the rubber seals.
Old 04-18-2001, 05:56 AM

Originally posted by deezo
Dan, I have never seen it happen but is it true in your experiences that WD40 eats rubber in the long run? I have used WD40 in the past with no problems of destroying the rubber seals.
I like WD-40 and use it for many purposes. However, WD-40 contains petroleum distillates which will degrade rubber parts. Silicone lube is preferred for window channels, rubber weatherstripping, suspension bushings, etc.
Old 04-18-2001, 06:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I like WD-40 and use it for many purposes. However, WD-40 contains petroleum distillates which will degrade rubber parts. Silicone lube is preferred for window channels, rubber weatherstripping, suspension bushings, etc.
Thanks. I think I want to find a graphite lube that will dry because where I live, there is a lot of sand and dirt flying around. I also hate that scratching sound of the sand on my glass. I can hear it now.
Old 04-18-2001, 06:59 AM

is there a brand?

Dan is there by chance a specific brand of silicone spray lubricant that works best? The reason I ask is that I just did the spring cleaning for my car and I lubed the tracks of the window with a silicone spray purchased from Home Depot and after it dries, there is little white residues left in the tracks. However, I didn't notice the windows going up any faster or slower than before...

When you mentioned there is the lower guides--is that part of the window track also?

And have you heard of this lithium grease? a few ppl I have talked to said that it works even better than silicone spray on lubing the window tracks.

thank you.

Brian

Old 04-18-2001, 08:30 AM

Re: is there a brand?

Originally posted by humaras
Dan is there by chance a specific brand of silicone spray lubricant that works best? ...
I haven't compared different brands of silicone spray. I think they are all the same. I have only one can, and the brand is Dow. This is a low-use item, and one can lasts for years.

... When you mentioned there is the lower guides--is that part of the window track also? ...
Guide, track, channel... all names for the same thing. What I mean by lower guide is that part of the guide which is inside the door and touches the window when the window is all the way down.

... And have you heard of this lithium grease? a few ppl I have talked to said that it works even better than silicone spray on lubing the window tracks.
"Lithium grease" can mean a lot of things. Lithium soaps (chemical compounds) are common additives to greases. Most chassis greases are Lithium grease. I would avoid using it on any rubber part because petroleum products attack rubber. The window track appears to be a rubber base with synthetic fibers embedded in it.
Old 04-18-2001, 08:58 AM

Re: Re: is there a brand?

i just want to be sure cuz it sounds really really easy. the guide/channel/track is the rubber insulation(weather strip?) the window glass lays inbetween when the window is closed, it surrounds the whole window except for the bottom, right?

Guide, track, channel... all names for the same thing. What I mean by lower guide is that part of the guide which is inside the door and touches the window when the window is all the way down.
Old 04-18-2001, 10:02 AM

Really easy

Originally posted by _DRU_
i just want to be sure cuz it sounds really really easy. the guide/channel/track is the rubber insulation(weather strip?) the window glass lays inbetween when the window is closed, it surrounds the whole window except for the bottom, right?

It is really easy. It takes only a few seconds. The guide/channel/track is vertical. It encloses the leading and trailing edges of the window glass... in other words, the side edges but not top or bottom. This may be a matter of terminology, but I would use the term weatherstrip for the horizontal rubber flap which wipes the window every time it is raised or lowered.
Old 04-18-2001, 10:41 AM

Re: Really easy

thanks Dan for the clarification.

cool beans!!

It is really easy. It takes only a few seconds. The guide/channel/track is vertical. It encloses the leading and trailing edges of the window glass... in other words, the side edges but not top or bottom. This may be a matter of terminology, but I would use the term weatherstrip for the horizontal rubber flap which wipes the window every time it is raised or lowered.