4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Repost: Consumer Reports Article The surprising truth about motor oils

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2001, 05:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hello All,

I just wanted to repost this information for all of the members of this forum may not have had a chance to comment on the article. I would also like to say, please people, if you disagree with another persons ideas or opinions on this article, don't fight with each other. The more articles and information you all can post will be appreciated, by myself if nobody else. I thought this article was very interesting. Life is already tough for some of us people so let's make maxima.org a place where we can have some fun with taking care of our cars by helping each other. And to the women of the forum that read the first post, I am sorry if I offended you all with my comment.

Deezo-BIGDEE

http://www.xs11.com/stories/croil96.htm
Old 04-18-2001, 07:15 AM

Um, after the name calling and mud slinging yesterday are you sure you want to repost this article? I mean, if you think about it, those who insist on changing their oil every "3 months or 3000 miles" are not going to take CR seriously anyways.

I think this subject has been taken up, beaten around, and should be put to rest.
Old 04-18-2001, 07:35 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Hmmmm....

Originally posted by deezo
Hello All,

I just wanted to repost this information for all of the members of this forum may not have had a chance to comment on the article. I would also like to say, please people, if you disagree with another persons ideas or opinions on this article, don't fight with each other. The more articles and information you all can post will be appreciated, by myself if nobody else. I thought this article was very interesting. Life is already tough for some of us people so let's make maxima.org a place where we can have some fun with taking care of our cars by helping each other. And to the women of the forum that read the first post, I am sorry if I offended you all with my comment.

Deezo-BIGDEE

http://www.xs11.com/stories/croil96.htm
Everyone had ample chance. The last I left off, there were 54 posts and 500+ views. Trust me, EVERYONE had a chance to put their 2 cents in.

I learned that CR is an authority on oil.....I didn't know that 'til yesterday....

As usual, a disagreement turns into a ****ing contest rather than statements of each individual's beliefs.....
Old 04-18-2001, 07:36 AM

Originally posted by Eric L.
Um, after the name calling and mud slinging yesterday are you sure you want to repost this article? I mean, if you think about it, those who insist on changing their oil every "3 months or 3000 miles" are not going to take CR seriously anyways.

I think this subject has been taken up, beaten around, and should be put to rest.
Well, there are a lot of people on this forum and some may believe it and some may not. It's fine and I personally am not telling anyone what to do with their hard earned money. It's not my place to do that. I just know that people hear want documentation for any opinions made here on the forum and I posted some documentation. We all could probably do the same test CR did and come out with totally different results. I think what CR is really saying to the consumer is don't get caught up into marketing gimmicks. How many adds have we all seen on TV about Amsoil? I don't think I have seen any(I don't watch much TV anyway). They sell a good product and they don't do as much marketing such as Mobil or the other name brands. Reading test about Amsoil flashpoint's really make me think about using it in my car. Sometimes I drive hard and agressive.
CR needs to do a test on removable storage to show how Iomega drives really do suck, but people buy them because of their marketing stratagies. What should be taken from this thread is to do the research before buying anything.
Old 04-18-2001, 08:17 AM

The statement

3k intervals is guaranteed to save your engine. Tons of people know this.
still remains unexplained. Who GUARANTEES their motors if you do 3000 mile oil changes?

Or where is this stated/analyzed? I would like to know.

Thanks.....
Old 04-18-2001, 08:36 AM

Re: Hmmmm....

Originally posted by bill99gxe

Current Oil Analysis Spreadsheet:
http://www.ee.utulsa.edu/~mblehm/fa...sis_results.xls
I clicked on this URL and got the dreaded 404 File Not Found.
Old 04-18-2001, 08:38 AM

Re: The statement

still remains unexplained. Who GUARANTEES their motors if you do 3000 mile oil changes?

Or where is this stated/analyzed? I would like to know.

Thanks.....
Who GUARANTEES their motors if you do 3000 mile oil changes?

Our forefathers. You know most people believe what they were taught from there elders on how cars should be taken care of. Time has shown that 3000mi intervals guarantee will save your engine. There is no evidence to say that it doesn't. This info comes from TV and reading. We hear it all of the time. It doesn't mean that its correct but it doesn't hurt either. I guess some test were done before my time to tell people that this is when oil should be changed. I change mine at 5000mi. That's what makes me feel good.
Old 04-18-2001, 08:41 AM

Daniel....

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
I apologize......it's some sort of issue that hasn't been figured out.

I'll e-mail it to ya in a few.....

If anyone else would like a copy of this, let me know. I'll be happy to e-mail it to you.....
Old 04-18-2001, 08:44 AM
I'm needing a caw

Does this mean I should re-post all the links I have the DIRECTLY contradict the Consumer Reports test?

http://www.micapeak.com/info/oiled.html

http://mr2.com/TEXT/synth_oil.txt
Old 04-18-2001, 08:50 AM
OG :)

I usually change my dino oil before Nissan intervals, like Daniel. It pretty much boils down to whenever one feels the need to change it anyways, the CR link was bookmark/time worthy to me. Thanks!
Old 04-18-2001, 08:50 AM

I think I need

a good cry...another one succombs to "Jiffy Lube" advertising....

Our forefathers.

Really?

You know most people believe what they were taught from there elders on how cars should be taken care of.

Which was needed 20-30 years ago. Now this cool thing called "technology" has sort of re-written those "old-timer" rules.

Time has shown that 3000mi intervals guarantee will save your engine.

From what?

There is no evidence to say that it doesn't.

Once again, I ask for the evidence that does.

This info comes from TV and reading. We hear it all of the time. It doesn't mean that its correct but it doesn't hurt either.

You believe the media. Ahh, finally found what the problem is.

I guess some test were done before my time to tell people that this is when oil should be changed.

hehe.....Unshakable proof......How can I refute that?

I change mine at 5000mi.

Since it's dino, that's exactly what you should be doing. You're not wasting money.
Old 04-18-2001, 08:52 AM

Daniel....

E-mail me if you're interested in seeing this and I'll send it to you....

A brief summation can be found here:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=30389
Old 04-18-2001, 08:55 AM

Re: Daniel....

E-mail me if you're interested in seeing this and I'll send it to you....
Daniel's e-mail address is unlisted in his profile. I think he would like to keep the information shared amongst the community. Just 3 cents
Old 04-18-2001, 09:08 AM

Re: Re: The statement

I'm not so sure that 3000 mile intervals is guaranteed to save your engine as much as people who maintain their car regularly get high mileage from their engines. Think about it, if someone were **** enough to change their oil every 3000 miles, on the mile, never more, never less, then they will also stick to other intervals for replacing other consumables for the car. By doing so, they are taking good care of the car and the car will last a long time.

3000 mile intervals were recommended way long time ago. The quality of oil has changed tremendously as of late, and there is absolutely no reason why you MUST change oil every 3000 miles to keep your engine in good condition. Short intervals won't hurt the engine, and if it makes you feel good about it, then do it. I'm not against it. But I just hate it when people say you MUST change it every 3000 (I know you are not saying that) miles or else you will get bad mileage, your engine will explode, your girlfriend/wife will leave you, etc...etc...and other myths like that.

I think the most persuasive argument against changing oil every 3000 miles is that Nissan recommends under its severe duty schedule a 3750 mile interval. So, if anything, people should be hawking the 3750 number around, not 3000.

FYI, I currently use dino oil and change my every 4-5k, depending when I have time to get to it. I plan to switch to synthetic soon and will extend the interval to at least 7-8k.

Who GUARANTEES their motors if you do 3000 mile oil changes?

Our forefathers. You know most people believe what they were taught from there elders on how cars should be taken care of. Time has shown that 3000mi intervals guarantee will save your engine. There is no evidence to say that it doesn't. This info comes from TV and reading. We hear it all of the time. It doesn't mean that its correct but it doesn't hurt either. I guess some test were done before my time to tell people that this is when oil should be changed. I change mine at 5000mi. That's what makes me feel good.
Old 04-18-2001, 09:08 AM

Just for the record.. I am female...

*Sigh* Not again.

I caught part of this discussion yesterday and after reading Deezo's apology towards women, I had to go back and see what I missed. Yeah, OK, I admit I don't know alot about my car, or any car for that matter (that's what Dad and the hubby are for, right?)

But I do have this to say on the motor oil controversy. Shortly after I got out of high school my husband talked me into working with him at Domino's delivering pizzas. At the time I had an old beat up 88 Chevy Beretta. It was on it's last legs when he took it down the the Chevy dealer and traded it on a brand new 94 model. That poor car was abused it's entire life (but looking back I'd have to say it must have enjoyed it because it never gave me any problems). During the 4 years I owned it I put over 143,000 miles on it.. most of which it earned delivering pizzas. How many times did I change the oil in that car? Umm... 5 I think. Although 143k is nothing for a Nissan, it's pretty dern good mileage for a GM product. And considering the lack of maintenance it received, I'd have to say the oil changes, or lack of, didn't effect it at all.

The only things I had to replace on the car were a battery (non-oil related), starter (non-oil related) and tensioner (non-oil related). What did that tell me... 3k oil changes really are a waste. I'm not saying anybody who does change their oil every 3k is stupid, nor am I proclaiming superior intelligence of those who don't.. but in my real-life experience it didn't make a difference.

As for the previous thread... I think it should have been locked long before Deezo's women comment. He made a general comment regarding women and although I don't agree with it, I didn't take it personally - no names were mentioned. But the interchange between Jeff and the other guy (can't remember his name right now, all I recall is Jeff adding fly to the end of it for some reason).. those were personal attacks and should not have been allowed. I think we're all adults here, and we should know how to act as such. If you disagree with someone, that's fine, it's your right. But does name calling really change anything other than the way people view you? No, it doesn't make your statements any more true. It doesn't support your arguement one bit, in fact it probably harms it. If you really think you have the better arguement, act mature about it and tell why you believe the way you do. Don't call someone a 'dingbat' and expect them to change their way of thinking. It's not going to happen.

Samantha
Note to moderators: I'm not trying to get a flame started, I am simply trying to point out the fact that we are here to share information and hopefully learn something about our cars.. and this can be done without finger-pointing and name-calling. However, if it's the view of the moderators or readers of this thread that my message may cause problems in any way, feel free to remove it and I will keep my mouth shut from that point on.
Old 04-18-2001, 09:14 AM

Re: Just for the record.. I am female...

Very true that lots of products are setup for dingbats so to speak and a car's engine is most of the time one of them.
Old 04-18-2001, 10:05 AM
I'm needing a caw

Well I try to be as non-biased and "mature here"

1) What if you have been posting legitimate information time and time again, then someone comes up and posts something like "well I do this becuase someone told me to". "It was good enough 30 years ago, why not now?" "Besides it's cheap, why not". So we have legitimate, scientific information VS hersay at the very best. What would you honestly think that is?

2) As far as "Shufly" goes.. I do believe he calls me ****, a$$ and f'king idiot before I mention "Shufly" I ask you again, what's worse?

3) In the future, before you make a statement on what I should or should not do(or bashing me in general), please take the time to read the entire post vs saying "from what I remember". I deserve at least that courtesy.

Please don't keep your mouth shut, I would enjoy your reply.

Originally posted by NisMax95
*Sigh* Not again.

I caught part of this discussion yesterday and after reading Deezo's apology towards women, I had to go back and see what I missed. Yeah, OK, I admit I don't know alot about my car, or any car for that matter (that's what Dad and the hubby are for, right?)

But I do have this to say on the motor oil controversy. Shortly after I got out of high school my husband talked me into working with him at Domino's delivering pizzas. At the time I had an old beat up 88 Chevy Beretta. It was on it's last legs when he took it down the the Chevy dealer and traded it on a brand new 94 model. That poor car was abused it's entire life (but looking back I'd have to say it must have enjoyed it because it never gave me any problems). During the 4 years I owned it I put over 143,000 miles on it.. most of which it earned delivering pizzas. How many times did I change the oil in that car? Umm... 5 I think. Although 143k is nothing for a Nissan, it's pretty dern good mileage for a GM product. And considering the lack of maintenance it received, I'd have to say the oil changes, or lack of, didn't effect it at all.

The only things I had to replace on the car were a battery (non-oil related), starter (non-oil related) and tensioner (non-oil related). What did that tell me... 3k oil changes really are a waste. I'm not saying anybody who does change their oil every 3k is stupid, nor am I proclaiming superior intelligence of those who don't.. but in my real-life experience it didn't make a difference.

As for the previous thread... I think it should have been locked long before Deezo's women comment. He made a general comment regarding women and although I don't agree with it, I didn't take it personally - no names were mentioned. But the interchange between Jeff and the other guy (can't remember his name right now, all I recall is Jeff adding fly to the end of it for some reason).. those were personal attacks and should not have been allowed. I think we're all adults here, and we should know how to act as such. If you disagree with someone, that's fine, it's your right. But does name calling really change anything other than the way people view you? No, it doesn't make your statements any more true. It doesn't support your arguement one bit, in fact it probably harms it. If you really think you have the better arguement, act mature about it and tell why you believe the way you do. Don't call someone a 'dingbat' and expect them to change their way of thinking. It's not going to happen.

Samantha
Note to moderators: I'm not trying to get a flame started, I am simply trying to point out the fact that we are here to share information and hopefully learn something about our cars.. and this can be done without finger-pointing and name-calling. However, if it's the view of the moderators or readers of this thread that my message may cause problems in any way, feel free to remove it and I will keep my mouth shut from that point on.
Old 04-18-2001, 10:05 AM

Private Eddress

Originally posted by Kenneth
Daniel's e-mail address is unlisted in his profile. ...
I did this because I already get a lot of E-mail from people asking me to diagnose their car problems. I prefer not to do this by private E-mail. There aren't enough hours in the day!

The advantage of a newsgroup or forum is the sharing of knowledge and experience. No one person knows it all.
Old 04-18-2001, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Re: Private Eddress

liar..

you are that one person that knows it all

I did this because I already get a lot of E-mail from people asking me to diagnose their car problems. I prefer not to do this by private E-mail. There aren't enough hours in the day!

The advantage of a newsgroup or forum is the sharing of knowledge and experience. No one person knows it all.
Old 04-18-2001, 10:28 AM

Re: Private Eddress

I said that, Daniel. You roc!
Old 04-18-2001, 10:44 AM

Re: Re: Just for the record.. I am female...

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Well I try to be as non-biased and "mature here"

1) What if you have been posting legitimate information time and time again, then someone comes up and posts something like "well I do this becuase someone told me to". "It was good enough 30 years ago, why not now?" "Besides it's cheap, why not". So we have legitimate, scientific information VS hersay at the very best. What would you honestly think that is?
As I said, you have your reasons for doing things your way and he has his - agree to disagree and go on with your life. Is it really doing any good to argue the subject when it's obvious the other person will not be swayed? Once it gets to the point that your find yourself even tempted to turn it into a personal attack, it's time to stop.
2) As far as "Shufly" goes.. I do believe he calls me ****, a$$ and f'king idiot before I mention "Shufly" I ask you again, what's worse?
I didn't say who started the name calling, and I really don't care. The point I'm trying to make is it happened. Names were called and tempers were flared. A simple conversation on motor oil shouldn't turn to a mud-slinging, it's not politics guys. I wasn't trying to single you out, I just couldn't remember Shumax's name because the fly thing kept popping into my head. I realize he was calling you names as well, and therefore my comments are aimed towards him as well. But you didn't have to follow suit and call him names too. The "he started it" excuse should be left behind with the days of playgrounds and school lunches, I expect by the time a person is old enough to own a car (and therefore be in this forum) that they would have grown out of this. I guess I was wrong. Agreeing to disagree and moving on....
3) In the future, before you make a statement on what I should or should not do(or bashing me in general), please take the time to read the entire post vs saying "from what I remember". I deserve at least that courtesy.
I did read the entire post. In fact, I stated that before I wrote my message I went back to look at the now locked thread and read up on what I had missed. I saw what started out as an attempt to inform us Maxima owners of a test run by Consumer Reports dealing with the frequency of oil changes turn into a battle. I don't think that was the purpose of the thread in the beginning, and it rather confused me as to how it was turned into one.
Please don't keep your mouth shut, I would enjoy your reply.
OK, you have my reply. Do with it as you wish. Personally, I think this poor, dead horse has been beaten beyond recognition and it's time to bury the blasted thing before another someone else says something they may later regret.

Samantha - backing away from the computer and going to bed.
Old 04-18-2001, 10:55 AM
I'm needing a caw

Samantha,

I agree that it's not about oil anymore. But when someone outright flames me, I should have the right to defend myself. If someone outright contradicts sound research with hearsay, then it should be called out on. Besides up to that point, I was actually having a good conversation w/ one person and giving good advice. I didn't see that from the other person(s)

There is way too much opinion that is stated as fact on this board. It should be dealt w/ swiftly and bluntly. It's unfortunate that some take that as a flame.

Thanks for the rely and have a good night.
Old 04-18-2001, 11:08 AM

3K is a waste of money.

S.F.D.

Old 04-18-2001, 11:16 AM

He made a general comment regarding women and although I don't agree with it, I didn't take it personally - no names were mentioned......

All I meant is that "Men are from Mars and Women are from Vesus" and the whole thread broke away from what the aarticle was saying and people were not understanding each other. I think people should have asked me what I meant before jumping to the defensive. Hey, I am human and I am not perfect just like anyone else on this Earth. I am a man about this and if women misunderstood my point and got upset there is an apology at the top of this thread. Everyone here has said something out of context or something that was misunderstood, so please don't judge.
Old 04-18-2001, 11:22 AM

He made a general comment regarding women and although I don't agree with it, I didn't take it personally - no names were mentioned......

All I meant is that "Men are from Mars and Women are from Vesus" and the whole thread broke away from what the article was saying and people were not understanding each other. I think people should have asked me what I meant before jumping to the defensive. Hey, I am human and I am not perfect just like anyone else on this Earth. I am a man about this and if women misunderstood my point and got upset there is an apology at the top of this thread. Everyone here has said something out of context or something that was misunderstood, so please don't judge.
Old 04-19-2001, 05:53 AM

Re: Re: Just for the record.. I am female...

All I meant is that "Men are from Mars and Women are from Vesus" and the whole thread broke away from what the article was saying and people were not understanding each other. I think people should have asked me what I meant before jumping to the defensive. Hey, I am human and I am not perfect just like anyone else on this Earth. I am a man about this and if women misunderstood my point and got upset there is an apology at the top of this thread. Everyone here has said something out of context or something that was misunderstood, so please don't judge.
deezo,
I wasn't judging you, and if I came across that way I am sorry. Actually, I think they over-reacted to your comment and I was merely stating that if "personal attacks" were the reason the thread was locked, it should have been done way before your comment was even posted. The personal attacks between Jeff and Shumax should have been put to a stop long before your woman comment. I didn't take it as an attack, and I'm sure it was misunderstood. No harm done on my part, sorry if you thought I was judging you.

Samantha
Old 04-19-2001, 06:02 AM

Re: Re: Re: Just for the record.. I am female...

deezo,
I wasn't judging you, and if I came across that way I am sorry. Actually, I think they over-reacted to your comment and I was merely stating that if "personal attacks" were the reason the thread was locked, it should have been done way before your comment was even posted. The personal attacks between Jeff and Shumax should have been put to a stop long before your woman comment. I didn't take it as an attack, and I'm sure it was misunderstood. No harm done on my part, sorry if you thought I was judging you.

Samantha
Sam, all is fine. I am a grown man that is trying to understand women more each day. I wouldn't dog a woman because I am in love with one. DeAnne said I was closed minded but I proved her wrong with my apology to ALL women.
Now let's talk about some Maximas!!!! Hee Haww!!!!