4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

waddup ya'll

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 10:07 AM

waddup ya'll

don't get to send a lot of messages but i just have a couple of question buggin my mind about my '97 nissan maxima.

1. Why does my maxima take forever to downshift back to first gear when i am coming to a stop. This is a pain in the a** because when i slow down and i want to accelerate it stays in second gear slowly accelerating instead of dropping to first gear. WHat can i do to fix this problem.

2. my suspensions are f**ked up. Have been for a while and i was thinking about getting the custommaxima combination of shocks and struts($699), the adjustable kind. I read the .org all the time and i hear people talking about how good the combination is but no one has actually said that they have one installed in their whip. HOw good is the combination in terms of ride comfort and control? Can i just get the stock shocks and lowering springs without getting the performance struts?

Would appreciate responses. holla
Old 11-25-2004, 10:20 AM

First ... read all the stickies at the top of this forum, in particluar, the FAQ's. They're very helpful and will probably answer most of your questions.

Second, exactly what setup are you talking about? There's really an endless list of combinations you can use that have adjustable struts and coil over springs. You need to be a bit more specific ... But, you need to ask yourself a question before you really start researching suspension: What do you want? Comfort or better handling. If you want a car that's going to corner better, you'll have to sacrifice a bit on ride quality. A nice stiff suspension will provide great response and feedback in the twisties, but will ride a bit harder than stock. Go here for a nice list of combinations: http://maxmods.dyndns.org
Old 11-25-2004, 10:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You can get that suspension much cheaper just about anywhere. Ebay will be the cheapest. If you want those struts with a different spring check my sig. Those are even cheaper than they are on ebay. Here's a site to help you choose springs. H&R's, H-techs, and eibachs will have a similar drop to the tokico springs, but depending on what you're looking for will have different handling/comfort characteristics.

edit: Sorry, looks like the guy above me already linked to that site.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:56 AM
Always sunny in philly

If you find it on custommaxima, you can find it elsewhere/better combo for cheaper.