4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Tokico Illumina's

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 05:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Tokico Illumina's

I got my Tokico Illumina's today and they came with a little bag of goodies.

I'm looking at this site. The front seems to have come with a NUT W/ WASHER (01225-00072). The rear seems to have come with a BUSHING RUBBER (56218-61L10), BUSHING RUBBER (56217-61L10), two diffent types of brass nuts (not listed on the site), and some type of circular brass thing with a hole in the middle (also not listed).

Do tokicos usually come with these things? What are the nuts and the other brass thing for (particularly the brass thing since I have no idea what it is).

Also, maybe I can get a few other suspension questions out of the way so I don't have to start another thread. I'll be getting dust boots (probably KYB), and OEM bearings. I have Ben's rear stut mounts and I got H-techs so I don't need spring isolators (they come with them). Anything else I should definitely replace? Anything I should look at and possibly replace (and if so what signs should I look for)?

I've heard of people making the orange spacers (55338-0M000 and 54329-39U00) out of some type of gasket material (it comes in a sheet and they simply cut it out). How thick are these things? What is the material?

I know there are alot of questions there, so please answer even if you can only answer some of them. Thanks!!!
Old 11-30-2004, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Terran
I got my Tokico Illumina's today and they came with a little bag of goodies.

I'm looking at this site. The front seems to have come with a NUT W/ WASHER (01225-00072). The rear seems to have come with a BUSHING RUBBER (56218-61L10), BUSHING RUBBER (56217-61L10), two diffent types of brass nuts (not listed on the site), and some type of circular brass thing with a hole in the middle (also not listed).

Do tokicos usually come with these things? What are the nuts and the other brass thing for (particularly the brass thing since I have no idea what it is).

Also, maybe I can get a few other suspension questions out of the way so I don't have to start another thread. I'll be getting dust boots (probably KYB), and OEM bearings. I have Ben's rear stut mounts and I got H-techs so I don't need spring isolators (they come with them). Anything else I should definitely replace? Anything I should look at and possibly replace (and if so what signs should I look for)?

I've heard of people making the orange spacers (55338-0M000 and 54329-39U00) out of some type of gasket material (it comes in a sheet and they simply cut it out). How thick are these things? What is the material?

I know there are alot of questions there, so please answer even if you can only answer some of them. Thanks!!!
I just installed this kit 2 weeks ago.
I think the brass things your talking about are just the washers. Replace them or don't... they shouldn't wear.
The orange spacers I believe are just there to insulate against metal on metal (noise). You could probably use almost anything. My front ones were okay but I had to replace the back cause they were in shreads. I just got a piece of the thinnest rubber I could find at home depot and fabricated my own. I think it was about 1 mm thick.
Two of the nuts that come in the bag for the back struts are the mounting nuts. If you're using bens mounts, just keep using his nuts... that doesn't sound right... The others are for the top of the strut to hold it all together.

The only other thing I recommend replacing (besides the bearings) are the strut insulators for the front. I had one break about a year ago and the other went about a week before I got the illuminas. They're about $40 online or $60 from your local dealer.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:09 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally Posted by NetFurie
If you're using bens mounts, just keep using his nuts... that doesn't sound right...

Old 11-30-2004, 09:56 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

You can make all new gaskets to isolate both front and rear upper mounts from the chassis. This helps cut down on noise transmitted from your suspension into the cabin of the car. Pick up a sheet 8-1/2 x 11 of headder gasket material, approx 1mm thick. Trace the old gaskets and cut them out. The headder gasket material is thicker then the OEM gaskets and provides better isolation against transmitted suspension noise. I might have a pic somewhere of the gaskets I made.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:59 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Old 11-30-2004, 04:32 PM

Very nice njmaxseltd. That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

Netfurie, those insulators are part number 54320-40U00 (from the site above) correct? My current thought is to get everything and return what I don't need. How would I tell if they're bad or soon will be?

I'm lucky enough to live near JRnissan so my local dealer is the cheap online source.

Thanks everybody...you guys are the best.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:04 PM

I am purchasing the illuminas after the holiday the only thing i`m not sure of is the springs either the the complete illuminas set-up or the progress springs any input would be nice.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:33 PM

You should consider H&R's and H-techs too. Check out maxmods.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:06 AM

I looked at the H+R`s and i didn`t think the drop was enough. but i will check out maxmods.
thanks
Old 12-01-2004, 08:11 AM

The drop may not be anough but the ride can't be beaten unless you buy coilovers.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by 99MAX
I looked at the H+R`s and i didn`t think the drop was enough. but i will check out maxmods.
thanks
Unless I'm mistaken both my suggestions are comparable to the tokicos and progress.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:26 PM

bro the only thing you will need is: sheet of head gasket material @ any auto store, cut out a circle cut out middle, poke some holes

then get some 3/4" wire loom and wrap it aroudn first couple of coils on top to stop spring grindding noises when turning, someone else said use a nylon tube and cut it up or somethign, too much work this was easier. i regreased my strut bearing w/ mobil 1 super syn grease, work just fine, dont really need new ones, and you might wnat to cut your front bumpstops a lil. -gl
Old 12-01-2004, 08:32 PM

The h-techs come with spring isolators...so no wire wrap here.

Your bumstops were still in ok condition. I keeping hearing about how fast the KYB boots break apart so I'm thinking I may not go with them.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:51 PM
Chassis Freak

Originally Posted by goodhead
bro the only thing you will need is: sheet of head gasket material @ any auto store, cut out a circle cut out middle, poke some holes

then get some 3/4" wire loom and wrap it aroudn first couple of coils on top to stop spring grindding noises when turning, someone else said use a nylon tube and cut it up or somethign, too much work this was easier. i regreased my strut bearing w/ mobil 1 super syn grease, work just fine, dont really need new ones, and you might wnat to cut your front bumpstops a lil. -gl
I just found this thread on a search and I was all about to order new paper insulators (which would cost like $45 bucks total even with a discount, and they're just paper anyway!!!). My old ones were shriveled up. Thanks so much for this tip (and njmaxseltd too)! I'm going to buy some headgasket material and save myself some money and hopefully reduce noise. Good idea about greasing the strut bearings. This is what the Org is all about.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:02 PM

Just so you know they looked at me like I was an idiot when I asked to headgasket material. Evidently head gaskets usually are bought precut. Just ask for gasket material. It was less that $10, so all more than enough for all 4 for less than the price of 1.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:10 PM
Chassis Freak

Thanks, noted.

I have the High-Techs too, they seem to be one of the few springs that come with the spring isolators pre-installed.

Yeah, I just decided that I would try to repair my stock boots rather than waste $60+ on KYB boots that will break apart. My stock ones are fine except for a few small tears, and I'm thinking a little duct tape on the inside will take care of that for a while! I'm also going to cut my front stock bumpstops because I never did that. I would buy new OEM dust boots but apparently Nissan changed the part so now it's one-piece and you can't separate the bump stop in order to cut it.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:06 PM

I think they're the only ones that have the isolators. I still haven't installed them though. Should be doing it soon. I got new OEM boots. The bumpstops are attached, but they're outside the boot. I forsee no problem cutting them.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:20 PM
I Broke OT

sorry to piggyback on this thread, but does anyone know THE BEST PLACE to get Illuminas? I have this problem where I can't buy something unless I find the absolute best deal, and I thought I saw somewhere that someone got them for about $420 or less shipped? The best I've seen is at an e-bay store around $470ish. Any help would be great! I can't wait to get them and throw on my S-Techs and slam that *****!
Old 04-12-2005, 07:29 PM

i bought from perfomancepeddler.com its 408 shipped. Brads a cool dude, should be getting mine friday. HURRY UP AND ORDER NOW! they run out of stock quick
Old 04-12-2005, 08:20 PM
Chassis Freak

Originally Posted by 2 Da Max
i bought from perfomancepeddler.com its 408 shipped. Brads a cool dude, should be getting mine friday. HURRY UP AND ORDER NOW! they run out of stock quick
Yeah I was going to say that too, it's the lowest price I've seen but I haven't been looking, I already have my Illuminas.

You can also try a Froogle search, although it won't include shipping costs: http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...Search+Froogle
Old 04-12-2005, 08:24 PM
I Broke OT

Originally Posted by 2 Da Max
yeah, that's the one. I think you or someone else mentioned this site earlier! sounds like a great deal and a lot more reliable than e-bay.
thanks again
Old 04-12-2005, 09:26 PM

yea the guy Brad there is real cool and nice.