4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Will a RSB have me hip checking trees in the winter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 10:49 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Will a RSB have me hip checking trees in the winter?

I've got a serious hankerin' to improve the handling of my Max and have decided to start with a RSB & FSTB. Before I do though, I was curious to know how the properties of a RSB would affect my handling ability on ruddy dirt or snow covered roads. Would controlling the understeer be a good or bad thing in such conditions? In essence, would I be more apt to get bounced off the road or hip check a tree with one on?
(I may move back to Vermont so that's why I ask)
Old 11-30-2004, 07:14 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

I'm trying to determine whether I've posted a retarded question or not. No replies, so I'm thinking it is, but it could also be that I've phrased it in a way that I've made no sense, or you have no idea how to answer it. It's also possible that its been beaten to death, so if it has, my bad, I'm a green new guy.
Essentially, I want to know if a RSB will it make it harder to handle my car on bumpy or snowy roads. Would I be better off not to having one in such conditions or would it be all good seen as its a solid handling mod regardless of the road conditions?
Also forgive my manners, I didn't send my greetings last time. It's an honor to be a part of this informative, insightful and entertaining forum with you guys and look forward to posting a lot more retarded questions to you in the future.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

A retarded question will get 2 pages of flaming within minutes. No replies means nobody (or not many) know the answer.

I have heard of people spinning out because of them. They can be adjusted to have less of an effect (even the "non-adjustables" like addco).

Or you could just take the plunge and settle it once and for all by lowering...you know you want to .

Hopefully someone more knowlegeable on the subject will show up.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:11 PM
VK56 Inside

I would say that with my stock set up the ride was still very absorbant to bumps in the road, but I have them set on the stiffest setting. I got my RSB before my suspension. After the suspension you can get bounced around pretty good on a moderately bumpy road. They arent very expensive so you could buy one and resell it later if you dont like it.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:46 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Ah, funny you should say that. I've been mulling that one over too. "To drop or not to drop?" I guess it goes back to what I'm driving on, ****ty roads or clean, safe fast roads. In ATL, they are for the most part, excellent. In Vermont, you get a mixed bag of everything. If I go to VT, I certainly don't want to have an Atlanta setup on. I could be all over the place.
I'm also a stable, yet comfortable ride kinda guy. The H&R/Illumina or stock/Illumina setup would be options, but would the H&R drop me to low in snow or be harsher than the stock? Maybe, probably. I think the stock is too harsh as it is. I'm a tulip, I know, but VT can be rough on your hindquarters sometimes. What to do, what to do.
Option 1: FSTB, Illumina shocks, stock springs & ding the RSB idea.
Option 2: FSTB, Illumina & H&R and add the RSB for good measure.
Option 3: FSTB, illumina & something, and put the RSB on till I hip check a tree.
Option 4: Take the money, go to Vegas and see if I can turn it into a G35x
Hmmmm.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:30 PM

I have a Progress RSB and Otto FSTB with stock suspension otherwise. I did have to re-learn to drive the car. It definitely cornered a lot better however, when I pushed the car to it's limits without them, it would just plow into the turn and not stick the turn. After the RSB and FSTB, if I push the car to it's limits, the **** swings around and the car spun out on me a couple of times as if it were a RWD car doing a donut.
Luckily, I managed to control it and not hit anything.

It did this to me on dry pavement but more so on wet pavement. I have since learned it's limits and can handle it pretty good. It's definitely better than when I had it stock but you may have some scares until you get used to the car again.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:25 PM

I think i'll wait until spring to put the RSB on, I don't need to crack up my nice new baby.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:55 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I've driven many winters with my max and with an rsb. Just don't do anything stupid! If there is snow on the ground, slow down. Get good tires. The RSB will not make your car *THAT* tail happy. Just get it. I'll say it again, good tires.

Originally Posted by VTonmymind
I've got a serious hankerin' to improve the handling of my Max and have decided to start with a RSB & FSTB. Before I do though, I was curious to know how the properties of a RSB would affect my handling ability on ruddy dirt or snow covered roads. Would controlling the understeer be a good or bad thing in such conditions? In essence, would I be more apt to get bounced off the road or hip check a tree with one on?
Old 12-01-2004, 08:41 AM
VK56 Inside

Word of advice. Never use anything but stock replacement struts with stock springs. And visa versa, never use anything but aftermarket struts with aftermarket springs. You will end up blowing a strut.

Dub
Old 12-01-2004, 09:38 AM

If only it were that easy to go to vegas and turn it into G35C money.

I would assume you shouldnt go sliding off the road with a RSB, I would figure you would when corning hard and the body roll puts more weight on that side of the car and the back making you slide. with the RSB that should kill the body roll and lower the amount of weight on the side your conering.

I'd would suggest putting the RSB on, and like other said you can try to adjust is, or if not sell it (I'd buy it)

I'm in atlanta too (gwinnett) and the roads are nice and smooth, so a drop would feel good on these streets. Except for downtown MAN!! those sh!tty bumpy streets, and many kills are a killer sometimes!!
Old 12-01-2004, 09:46 AM

Personally, I've never liked the idea of the RSB on our cars especially if the car is dropped. It most likely works better on a car that is not lowered but knowing how icy the roads get in the NE, I wouldn't bother with it. A car that understeers is easier to drive than a car that oversteers which is dangerous in fact. The FSTB is a good mod because it tightens up the front suspension and makes it feel more solid over bumpy roads.
My car is lowered and I'll never add a RSB with my H&R's.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dubbya
Word of advice. Never use anything but stock replacement struts with stock springs. And visa versa, never use anything but aftermarket struts with aftermarket springs. You will end up blowing a strut.

Dub

That makes no sense. Never use stock struts with lowering springs. There is no problem with using aftermarket struts with stock springs. It may even handle better. They definetely won't blow any faster than stock.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:40 PM

Ah, funny you should say that. I've been mulling that one over too. "To drop or not to drop?" I guess it goes back to what I'm driving on, ****ty roads or clean, safe fast roads. In ATL, they are for the most part, excellent. In Vermont, you get a mixed bag of everything. If I go to VT, I certainly don't want to have an Atlanta setup on. I could be all over the place.
I'm also a stable, yet comfortable ride kinda guy. The H&R/Illumina or stock/Illumina setup would be options, but would the H&R drop me to low in snow or be harsher than the stock?
It would likely be harsher than stock unless your stock suspension is in bad shape. I doubt you'll have a problem with height. I mean think about it, there are many stock cars out there that are lower than the maxima. I may change my mind once I get lowered (its coming soon ), but I don't think a mild spring like H&R's could make the ride so harsh that would really bother you. Again there are many stock cars with a harsher ride than the maxima. I think the handlng will be worth it, but it really depends on what you want.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:00 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

As it so happens, I live downtown. That's probably why I find myself wanting a softer ride. If I go back to VT, it's more of the same, but with a lot more snow and ice.

I guess I'm looking for the best of both worlds but wonder if it's attainable.
Deezo & Terran, you live in MA & you chose the H&R's (GO SOX & PATS BTW). Did you choose it b'cause it gives you a drop, is the softest spring (besides stock or the even softer GLE stock, and allows you to have the handling you desire or was it for other reasons?

I've decided to dump the RSB idea BTW. I'm a Murphy's Law thinker, and if there's any chance of something going wrong, I don't want to give it chance to fiz-uk, me up.

Any body out there with a stock/Illumina setup?
Old 12-01-2004, 06:09 PM

I have a RSB and FTSB, and there is no adverse affect on winter driving in the Northeast.

I put a drop on my car last year, but I didn't drive it in the winter. So this winter will be the first, it should be interesting with the drop.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:16 PM

I'm not lowered yet (I have the parts sitting next to me). Keep in mind therefore that all my info is secondahand. Most of my conclusions have been drawn from multiple sources though so I'm fairly confident that they are correct. I actually chose H-techs (because I got them slightly used). They are supposedly slightly stiffer and slightly better handling than H&R's though very comparable.

H&Rs are the softest lowering spring. Check out this site for some good spring descriptions. Springs are the cheaper part of lowering so you could get them and if you don't like them recoup much of your money by selling them. Shocks also play a role in comfort. Illumina's will be a very good choice whatever spring you go with. They are kinda pricey though (check my sig for the cheapest price they are available for). I really don't think you will have a problem with comfort unless you're like 90 years old .
Old 12-01-2004, 07:42 PM
is craving Bojangles

i too have often thought if a rsb is a good idea or not. afterall think how much time and effort nissan engineers put into the suspension of our car. so putting on something that will tottaly change it, making it somewhat tail happy doesnt seem like the best idea.

but on the plus side, maxima + rsb = drift car
Old 12-01-2004, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by max prodigy
....but on the plus side, maxima + rsb = drift car
Kinda sorta... it felt like a rear wheeler those times it spun out on me. Fun and scary at the same time.

Like a drift car.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:05 PM

So basically a rsb affects ride comfort? I had no idea of this. I was going to pull it off for winter but now I might just sell it.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:29 PM

Shouldn't hurt the comfort (not much anyway). Just makes it kinda tail happy.

The whole thing about nissan already perfecting the design...not exactly. Aside from with dedicated sports cars car companies will tend to make a car understeer rather than oversteer. No rsb a small mistake is not big deal. With rsb you're suddenly on the other side of the road facing the wrong direction. Most people who drive maxima's (this forum excluded) aren't going to like that feeling.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:14 PM

Well, let me throw in my two cents. I haven't gotten my Maxima (yet) but I do know what it's like to drive a tail happy FWD car. I've done some spirited driving in my friend's G20 and it's lots of fun. The tail steps out without much provocation, but you can always catch it.

I say definetely get the bar because understeer is never fun and with FWD, oversteer is always controllable.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:21 PM

Just get it! Install it, enjoy it. You will not spin out if you just drive normally! I can't believe there is so much debate over this. It's like saying I'm not sure if I want to install a supercharger because I will be going faster if I slam in to a wall.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by ZuMBLe
Just get it! Install it, enjoy it. You will not spin out if you just drive normally! I can't believe there is so much debate over this. It's like saying I'm not sure if I want to install a supercharger because I will be going faster if I slam in to a wall.
If you drive "normally", you don't need a sway bar.

If you drive "spiritedly" you will make better use of one but it should be noted, the car will now tend to oversteer instead of understeer.

If you drive "aggressively" you should definitely be aware of the oversteer and whether or not it's for you.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:39 PM

If you want one , get one. Dang, I have had one for along time and I like it. My car handles just fine. MY sub box in the trunk makes my car more dangerous than a rear strut bar ever will. My would a more solid car be a bad thing?
Old 12-01-2004, 11:43 PM

The poster is talking about driving in the winter. Which I assume means snow, sleet etc. Now, you drive spiritedly in the snow you will wrap yourself around a tree. Get the sway bar, have fun in the summer/spring, drive normally in the snow. And no, the car doesn't magically become like a 911 turbo ready to switch ends at any time. The car becomes a lot more neutral. I've never had the rear want to step out unless I slammed on the brakes and jerked the wheel. I think this is being blown out of proportion. This mod really isn't such a big deal. I'll say it again, good tires + swaybar.. Neutral handling, goooood. Bad tires + swaybar + slippery roads + going too fast = baaaaad... really, if you wrap yourself around a tree, blame yourself, not the swaybar.

Originally Posted by Igobuk
If you drive "normally", you don't need a sway bar.

If you drive "spiritedly" you will make better use of one but it should be noted, the car will now tend to oversteer instead of understeer.

If you drive "aggressively" you should definitely be aware of the oversteer and whether or not it's for you.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:41 AM

I think if you just go with H&R Springs with Illumina shocks and struts you will get what your looking for, better handling, close to stock ride without the added risk of loose rear[rsb]. That's my 2 cents
Old 12-02-2004, 06:31 PM

I have my RSB on there and I live in downtown Atlanta and I really like it. Around curves in any dry weather (90% of the time), it feels great. It really flattens the car out and now I can't imagine driving without it.

As far as being tail happy, I think it is blown out of proportion. I have never had my tail end step out since I've had it. I have always driven a RWD car before the max though so that kind of behavior is perfectly natural for me. Back then, I would sling the tail out on purpose in the rain on empty streets just because it was fun and I knew how to control it.

I say get the bar. It's $100 well spent in my book.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:10 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Thanks for all the input guys.

Having grown up in VT, and living on a dirt road (that thing was frozen solid from Dec. to Mar. & became a sloppy mess during mud season...oh to drive on top of those ruts hoping to hell I didn't get sucked in! ) I learned to respect and drive on them.

With that in mind, the RSB doesn't scare me. Unfortunately, you can't always drive normally up there. Dodging deer, families of racoons (I still feel bad about it, but I blasted through a whole caravan of em one time) and people who still haven't figured out how to drive on them yet. That's what has me questioning the safety of it. If the RSB doesn't make it ordinarily difficult to get out of situations like that, then gravy, I'm in. If it does, and has a dangerous tendencie to fish tail, then I'll just roll with the FSTB, Illumina & H&R combo. Maybe even roll with the stock spring if I can determine whether or not it's worth it (those dirt roads get rutty as hell too )

Thanks again for your input, for it has me closer to figuring out what I need and want to do with my max.