4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Inside/Outside Temp Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2001, 09:03 AM

i hear you zagato... i have a 97' SE but WITH the cold weather package and i too would love to know what to do to get this AMB stuff working.. although i think it's helpless... my dash looks different than the '98's (as i assume yours does too) ... i too have the round button (up / down) temp on the left hand side... oh well!! i wish!!
Old 05-03-2001, 12:28 PM
MaxedOut97SE

So are you guys saying that the space between the off (or the last square button to the left) and the temp control is where the amb. button is supposed to be? Cmon guys lets figure this out!

Old 05-03-2001, 01:35 PM
Carl98SE

It works It works I now have AMB

Old 05-03-2001, 01:40 PM
Langley AFB Sux

And what about the other style ACC?

Originally posted by Carl98SE
It works It works I now have AMB
Is there a place for those of us with 95-97 ACC controls for us to do this?

Aaron
Old 05-03-2001, 03:21 PM
Carl98SE

Ok so I installed the AMB button and it fit just right, I modified the face plate and it looks great!. One problem, it doesn't give the proper AMB temp. I will test it out over the next few days and then I will update you. So don't go chopping up your dash just yet...

Old 05-03-2001, 06:12 PM

Ok so I installed the AMB button and it fit just right, I modified the face plate and it looks great!. One problem, it doesn't give the proper AMB temp. I will test it out over the next few days and then I will update you. So don't go chopping up your dash just yet...
I desperatelly need a pic of what you did, I took apart mine today, and it works perfectly!
The thing is, I phoned the dealership for that part, and they said that it is $10, only for the BUTTON COVER, without the spring or anything, just the little plastic cover. So can you PLEASE post pix of what you did, or get me a part number of What you did?!?!
Thanks

I took a few pics of the actual controler and everything, so I will post them tonight later, when I come back!

Carl - Please get me exact info on the part and on the install!
That place looks very small for a button.
Old 05-03-2001, 06:18 PM

well you guys contradicted my theory of it being associated with the cold weather package, im fresh outta ideas why some models/makes/years have it, and some don't .... Isn't there like an incredibly detailed book of every nook & cranny about this car somewhere? or at least the electrical system....

-Nate
Old 05-03-2001, 07:33 PM
Carl98SE

OK IS EVERYONE THERE< I WOULD LIKE TO CONFIRM THAT IT WORKS!!!!!! i JUST WENT OUT NOW AND TESTED IT AND IT GAVE THE CORRECT TEMP. AS YOU CAN IMAGINE I AM VERY VERY VERY VERY PROUD OF MYSELF FOR FINDING THIS SOLUTION...SO ANYONE WITH A 98 WITH ACC CAN DO THIS MOD. THE ONLY THING IS THE LIGHT FOR THE AMB BUTTON IS NOT AS BRIGHT AS THE OTHERS...I SAY WHO CARES AT LEAST IT WORKS...OK BOYS START TAKING THE DASH APART AND GO FIND THE AMB. IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS PLEASE E-MAIL ME I WILL BE MORE THAT HAPPY TO HELP YOU AS MUCH AS I CAN!!! BY THE WAY THE TOTAL COST OF THIS MODE WAS CHEAPER THAN AN OUT SIDE TEMP FROM WALMART...TOATAL COST $10+TAX...WHAT A DEAL

Old 05-03-2001, 08:32 PM

lol.. I love that feature.. used it every time since my parents bought the car for me
Old 05-03-2001, 09:18 PM

I hope this helps a bit

Here are some pictures of what I found in my car today.
I hope this helps someone who is thinkjng of doing this.

Old 05-03-2001, 10:06 PM
MaxedOut97SE

Ok, so will this not work for the 95-97 ACC?

Old 05-03-2001, 10:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by MaxedOut97SE
Ok, so will this not work for the 95-97 ACC?
I am not sure about the specific years but I have a 97. I have the up/down buttons on the right that form a circle. I took mine apart and didn't find anything. I could be wrong but I thought I looked it over pretty good.
Old 05-04-2001, 08:49 AM

How about

Is the much work to put a 98 a/c control unit w/the AMB button in to a 97 w/climite control. Outside of installing the outside temp. probe?
Old 05-04-2001, 03:54 PM
MaxedOut97SE

Ok, in the 95-97 ACC, there must be some way to figure it out. I have seen a '96 with the AMB button, and my '97 has the "AMB" in the display. Someone please lets figure this out. I know it is possible for the 95-97.

Old 05-04-2001, 06:24 PM
Carl98SE

Ok, in the 95-97 ACC, there must be some way to figure it out. I have seen a '96 with the AMB button, and my '97 has the "AMB" in the display. Someone please lets figure this out. I know it is possible for the 95-97.
IF I’m not mistaken the 3rd generation Maxima had the amb and the display is the same for all generations that had acc. So in theory it must have it. Take out the acc and take the faceplate off. There should be an extra button. The only way to figure it out you has to experiment. One thing that we should always know that it has to be logical. They design these cars so that it can be constantly up grated in a cost effective manner with out having to redo it all. Good luck...

Old 05-04-2001, 06:57 PM

You're IT

MaxedOut, I nominate you to be the test case for us 97ers that have the ACC, round buttons Take it apart and look for that button so WE can ALL have AMB

Cheers
Old 05-04-2001, 08:47 PM

Re: You're IT

Originally posted by zagato27

MaxedOut, I nominate you to be the test case for us 97ers that have the ACC, round buttons Take it apart and look for that button so WE can ALL have AMB

Cheers
I took apart my 97 with round buttons and didn't find anything. That was before the pics were posted so I didn't know what I was looking for. I might take it apart again tomorrow and look. It sure is a pain to get that thing apart.
Old 05-04-2001, 11:24 PM
MaxedOut97SE

By the way, why the hell do they call it AMB? Ambient? Outside Temp will do just fine. Anyways keep us posted on the 95-97 AMB button!

Old 05-05-2001, 12:59 AM

I am still waiting...

I am still waiting for someone to post a picture or give me some info on this damn button for a 98SE.
The dealership said that it is only the plastic cover, and not the springy mechanism inside the button that pushes onto the switch. So I can't figure out what's going on.
Can someone Please answer this soon, or give me a part number!?

Carl> You have this done, can you e-mail me or post a reply on exactly what's going on about this button. I am not sure if they are just idiots at the dealership, or it's me.

Thanks
Old 05-05-2001, 09:50 AM
Carl98SE

Re: I am still waiting...

Originally posted by Riot^
I am still waiting for someone to post a picture or give me some info on this damn button for a 98SE.
The dealership said that it is only the plastic cover, and not the springy mechanism inside the button that pushes onto the switch. So I can't figure out what's going on.
Can someone Please answer this soon, or give me a part number!?

Carl> You have this done, can you e-mail me or post a reply on exactly what's going on about this button. I am not sure if they are just idiots at the dealership, or it's me.

Thanks
Riot,

You have to make a button.
I took a peice of plastic that I shaved down to fit the hole. I put the plastic button cover that I ordered from the dealer on. To prevent the hole thing from falling out I crazy glued little stoppers on the inside. It took me a while until I figured out how the hole thing worked. You have to experiment. Hope this helps

Old 05-05-2001, 11:11 AM

Re: Re: I am still waiting...

Riot,

You have to make a button.
I took a peice of plastic that I shaved down to fit the hole. I put the plastic button cover that I ordered from the dealer on. To prevent the hole thing from falling out I crazy glued little stoppers on the inside. It took me a while until I figured out how the hole thing worked. You have to experiment. Hope this helps
Ha, that's what I thought!
Can you give me a little more detail on what you used? A pic perhaps?
What did you do to make it "pushy", like a spring to push back on the button after you press on it. I am thinking of using something like an automatic pen setup.
Any help from you would help, so can you please post a little more detail on that, and hopefully a pic!

Thank you very much in advance.
Old 05-05-2001, 11:48 AM
Carl98SE

You don't need a spring, because it pushes back by its self. What you need is to hold it there so that it does not fall out of the unit. I made the piece into basicly a rectangular cube. I glued little wings on the bottom part about 3 milimeters up so that it would stop and not fall out of the unit. The cube would slide in from the back and I would put the AMB button on top from the front. Make sure you make the cube tight fitting in the hole so that there will be risistance. I have included a diagram

Old 05-05-2001, 12:42 PM

diagram?

You don't need a spring, because it pushes back by its self. What you need is to hold it there so that it does not fall out of the unit. I made the piece into basicly a rectangular cube. I glued little wings on the bottom part about 3 milimeters up so that it would stop and not fall out of the unit. The cube would slide in from the back and I would put the AMB button on top from the front. Make sure you make the cube tight fitting in the hole so that there will be risistance. I have included a diagram
A diamgram would be very helpful but I think you forgot to attatch it
How do you keep the cover and he cube from falling out of the console? The original buttons are held somehow from within, I understand what you are doing, just how do you keep it in? and what wings?
Old 05-05-2001, 03:42 PM
Carl98SE

You have to take it completly appart. Remove all screws and take chip with display out. Incert new button and crazey glue little plastic stoppers on the inside so it does not fall out through the front.

Old 10-02-2001, 11:08 PM
ql1

One more 97 SE w/o AMB

Well, I too would really like to have an outside temp reading.

Before taking my dash apart (this is a serious pain in the ***) I pointed a light on my display, and noticed a very clear AMB label.

So for so good.

Then I looked under the hood, and found what has to be a temp sensor mounted right behind the grill.

At this point, things were looking pretty good.

I then proceeded to take the dash and the ACC unit apart COMPLETELY. I can confirm that in my 97 SE (loaded execept for the heated seats), there is NO button of any kind that operates the outside temp reading, even though all the wiring seems to be there. So, the question is, will a 99 ACC unit work in a 97? I have no way of testing, but I might try searching a few local junkyards.

Best of Luck

Old 10-03-2001, 09:24 AM

Nope. 97 to 98 or 99 ACCs not interchangeable

The ACC system changed in 98. Completely different system. 97 has diferent ACC from 98s. 98 and 99 are the same.

DW

Originally posted by ql1
Well, I too would really like to have an outside temp reading.

Before taking my dash apart (this is a serious pain in the ***) I pointed a light on my display, and noticed a very clear AMB label.

So for so good.

Then I looked under the hood, and found what has to be a temp sensor mounted right behind the grill.

At this point, things were looking pretty good.

I then proceeded to take the dash and the ACC unit apart COMPLETELY. I can confirm that in my 97 SE (loaded execept for the heated seats), there is NO button of any kind that operates the outside temp reading, even though all the wiring seems to be there. So, the question is, will a 99 ACC unit work in a 97? I have no way of testing, but I might try searching a few local junkyards.

Best of Luck
Old 10-03-2001, 10:24 AM
Licensed to Spell

You guys are too cool.

I thought I was the only one who thinks about this stuff! I have ALWAYS hated how the Maxima's Electronic Climate Control (ECC) does not have Outside Temperature Dispaly (OTD). To me, ECC and OTD are pees and carrots. OTD and memory seats are two features I really miss from my Audi. Carl, you are the man for finding out that discovery! If I had a '98, I'd fly out there and give you a kiss but since I have a '96, you only get a high five. lol

If anyone can figure out how to do this on a '95/'97, you would put a stupid, silly, goofy grin on my face for 2 weeks straight.

Carl, I was getting so desperate that I too looked into buying the rear view mirror with auto dim, compass, OTD. There are two that I know of but I prefer the Donnely like yourself. I probably would have purchased it by now but I was told they can't mount to our existing mirror 'stick'. We would have to glue a cheesey button to our windshield like the American cars. It looks lame from the outside and would screw up my windshield tint strip. Did you go with the button or did you figure out a way to use the existing 'stick'? If you did use the stick, please send me detailed instructions and part numbers, etc. Thanks a million.

And congrats again on your great discovery.
Old 10-04-2001, 01:51 AM

i have a 95 gle maxima and saw the letters AMB in the display but when i opened it from front faceplate and back there was just a hole and i was sad so i put it back i dont think the 95 has it
Old 10-04-2001, 02:35 AM
Licensed to Spell

Yup

Originally posted by asianpr3082
i have a 95 gle maxima and saw the letters AMB in the display but when i opened it from front faceplate and back there was just a hole and i was sad so i put it back i dont think the 95 has it
I looked closely at mine too and sure enough, there is a little 'AMB' in there. But I also saw something I haven't heard you guys mention. Above the 'AMB' was a little "<degree symbol> C" (^C). What would that be for? Couldn't the readout just show a 'C' intead of an 'F' if it were in celcious (Since the 'F' is a digital '8' anyway)? Do you guys have this 'degree c' as well?
Old 10-10-2001, 01:28 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: You guys are too cool.

Originally posted by ptatohed

Carl, I was getting so desperate that I too looked into buying the rear view mirror with auto dim, compass, OTD. There are two that I know of but I prefer the Donnely like yourself. I probably would have purchased it by now but I was told they can't mount to our existing mirror 'stick'. We would have to glue a cheesey button to our windshield like the American cars. It looks lame from the outside and would screw up my windshield tint strip. Did you go with the button or did you figure out a way to use the existing 'stick'? If you did use the stick, please send me detailed instructions and part numbers, etc. Thanks a million.
I am exactly in your shoes. Did you figure out the solution to this problem? If so, care to share it?

Thanks
Old 10-10-2001, 03:24 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: You guys are too cool.

Originally posted by dashingMax

I am exactly in your shoes. Did you figure out the solution to this problem? If so, care to share it?

Thanks

No dashing, Carl never got back to me. I was so bummed. I have been thinking about the auto dim mirror for some time now but have not pursued it as I do not want to glue a button on my windshield. It was nice to hear another Maxima owner purchased one. But when I asked him how he did it, no answer. Carl, if you are reading this, please answer. Dashing, if you come up with an answer, let me know. And I'll do the same for you. But you have a '99 so don't you have OTD already? And, if not, you have the hidden button for it, no?
Old 10-10-2001, 05:21 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: You guys are too cool.

No dashing, Carl never got back to me. I was so bummed. I have been thinking about the auto dim mirror for some time now but have not pursued it as I do not want to glue a button on my windshield. It was nice to hear another Maxima owner purchased one. But when I asked him how he did it, no answer. Carl, if you are reading this, please answer. Dashing, if you come up with an answer, let me know. And I'll do the same for you. But you have a '99 so don't you have OTD already? And, if not, you have the hidden button for it, no?
I am not about to dig out my dashboard looking for the OTD button. I just want to make sure that I install the mirror correctly. The cheapest I have seen is at www.summitracing.com

I'll try things with the mirror this weekend and will post results.

Thx
Old 12-14-2001, 12:54 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

Reviving this 2 month old thread for two reasons:

Has anyone had any success in getting the amb to work on their 95/96/97?

Also, since Carl isn't answering me regarding mounting the auto dim mirror, has anyone else mounted one? Did you use the stock 'stick' or windshield button?

Thanks.
Old 04-04-2002, 12:56 PM

The deal with AMB in 4th generation Maximas

Reviving this 2 month old thread for two reasons:
Has anyone had any success in getting the amb to work on their 95/96/97?
Also, since Carl isn't answering me regarding mounting the auto dim mirror, has anyone else mounted one? Did you use the stock 'stick' or windshield button?
Thanks.
Well, I had done a little research on this myself since I have a '95 and noticed that "AMB" (outside ambient temp) indicator in the display. However, as one previous poster indicated, the button interface and hardware is only on the 98 & 99 Maximas. Why did Nissan do away with this VERY useful feature from 95-97? I'm not sure, but I've heard of two reasons: 1) cost cutting, and 2) inaccuracy. Personally, I don't believe either. It probably cost more to redesign the unit without the AMB switch and to change building procedures to leave out the sensor equipment. I think it was just INCOMPETENCE. After all, to leave in everything except the button? What lunacy! This is a selling feature--why hide it?

Anyway, enough of that. Trying to modify an early 4th gen for this feature is just too costly and time consuming. So, third party products are the only alternative. Unfortunately, I could never find an aftermarket outside temperature indicator that looks good and would mount in a desirable location in my Maxima. That is, until I found a Gentex auto-dim mirror with compass and temp indicator. This looks like a really great item, well designed and won't look like an aftermarket add-on. I am planning to order one very soon. MITO corporation sells these on their website, but I found an even cheaper place (www.sportsimportsltd.com/nigvisrearvi.html). Currently it is $215. They also include a free mounting interface for foreign cars, and this is supposed to be compatible with the Maxima. If and when I get it and mount it, I'll post a follow-up.
Old 04-04-2002, 01:39 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: The deal with AMB in 4th generation Maximas

Originally posted by Gary95

Well, I had done a little research on this myself since I have a '95 and noticed that "AMB" (outside ambient temp) indicator in the display. However, as one previous poster indicated, the button interface and hardware is only on the 98 & 99 Maximas. Why did Nissan do away with this VERY useful feature from 95-97? I'm not sure, but I've heard of two reasons: 1) cost cutting, and 2) inaccuracy. Personally, I don't believe either. It probably cost more to redesign the unit without the AMB switch and to change building procedures to leave out the sensor equipment. I think it was just INCOMPETENCE. After all, to leave in everything except the button? What lunacy! This is a selling feature--why hide it?

Anyway, enough of that. Trying to modify an early 4th gen for this feature is just too costly and time consuming. So, third party products are the only alternative. Unfortunately, I could never find an aftermarket outside temperature indicator that looks good and would mount in a desirable location in my Maxima. That is, until I found a Gentex auto-dim mirror with compass and temp indicator. This looks like a really great item, well designed and won't look like an aftermarket add-on. I am planning to order one very soon. MITO corporation sells these on their website, but I found an even cheaper place (www.sportsimportsltd.com/nigvisrearvi.html). Currently it is $215. They also include a free mounting interface for foreign cars, and this is supposed to be compatible with the Maxima. If and when I get it and mount it, I'll post a follow-up.

Thanks Gary for the informative post. I too, have not given up on this and I think about it all the time. It is on my must-buy list. HOWEVER, I will not mount a button to the windshield. I want to use the stock stick that comes down from the headliner. Any company I e-mail that had a rear view mirror I like, tells me it won't work without the button. I have seen the one you linked us to but, no offense, I ruled it out. I am very picky and I do not want that style where it a.) has an unsymetrical temp./compass display and b.) it blocks some of the mirror. The one I like is from Donnelly. In fact, they even have map lights built in now!

http://www.donnelly.com/products/int...ms/default.asp

My guess is it's around $250. But, like I said, they tell me I need to glue a button to my windshield. I might just order it and try to make it mount to my stick. Not sure yet...
Thanks again Gary.
Old 04-04-2002, 03:59 PM

Someone stated that the Climate control is the same as on the 5th gen wrong, the redisned in for 00. Heres the break down on the auto climate control from Nissan:
85-88: had climate control but no digital readout so no ambient
89-90: redesigned auto climate (digital readout)Had the ambient button
91: no ambient, no automatic climate control this year
92-94; Had the ambient(auto climate control reappeared)
95-97: had auto climate but no ambient
98: Redesigned Climate control,slot for ambient but no ambient, shine your light in your control and you can see the digital display for outside temp.
99: same climate control as 98 but ambient button was added.
2000-2001: redesigned climate with ambient button
2002: Ambient in Instrument cluster no matter if you have Climate control or not.
Old 04-04-2002, 06:50 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

I got a cheap one from my local auto parts store. It's got a silver finish and looks pretty nice, though it's hard to read in the sun. It even has a little push button light so you can see it at night.
I can get them for about $12 or so and provide pics if anyones interested. Email me, I don't check here often anymore.
Old 04-04-2002, 07:22 PM

Hehe! I am actually almost an expert on this.

The climate control modules changed in 98 not 97 models. In fact I find it unusual that the 98 model had the AMB button. Most of them had it missing from what I understand. You had to drill a hole and make your own AMB button. The electrical switch was there but just covered up.

To convert a 97 or earlier to '98 module is quite a task. you have to get a new bracket for the bose head unit (right hand side) and you need to get some of the vent door control motors, some of those changed too! Then you need one extra temp sensor (intake temp sensor I believe) After you have those pieces you need to splice them into the BCM under under the bose unit. The "brains" for the pre 98 models were located in the BCM ... separate module, same compartment. It's a real pain in the butt. I have all the parts to do it, but not the time. I have wiring diagrams for both '98 and '97 if anyone is interested. It's better just to get a third party probe. I may do it one day...I am just enjoying my turbo right now though .

As far as the deg C and deg F for '98+ climate controls you can ground a wire and get degrees C. For pre '98 I think (but I am not sure) you can do the same.
Old 04-04-2002, 11:20 PM

I just read through this thread for the first time (it caught my eye cause I wish I had an ambient temp button too...)

Anyway, I started looking through the FSM (i've got a 96). So far, I've found that the car already has an ambient temp sensor (I knew that) that is located under the hood (it's attached to the radiator core support next to the hood rock stay). There's even a little chart that tells you what resistance value the sensor should give for certain temps.
I also found that in the self-diagnostic mode, there's a way to get it to show the temp the ambient sensor is reading on the display (AMB doesn't light up though..that light isn't shown in the manual at all). But at least it isn't past the unit to show what the ambient temp guage is reading...

If you want to know when it's getting cold out, you could rig something to detect when the resistance is at least 6 k-ohms (6.19 is 32°). Also, if anyone was wondering, the °C is there for the cars sold in Canada.

If anyone has a pic of a 96 climate control with an AMB button, I'd really like to see it (so I can figure out where it should be..)

-zach
Old 04-05-2002, 12:15 AM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

Originally posted by zboy
I just read through this thread for the first time (it caught my eye cause I wish I had an ambient temp button too...)

Anyway, I started looking through the FSM (i've got a 96). So far, I've found that the car already has an ambient temp sensor (I knew that) that is located under the hood (it's attached to the radiator core support next to the hood rock stay). There's even a little chart that tells you what resistance value the sensor should give for certain temps.
I also found that in the self-diagnostic mode, there's a way to get it to show the temp the ambient sensor is reading on the display (AMB doesn't light up though..that light isn't shown in the manual at all). But at least it isn't past the unit to show what the ambient temp guage is reading...

If you want to know when it's getting cold out, you could rig something to detect when the resistance is at least 6 k-ohms (6.19 is 32°). Also, if anyone was wondering, the °C is there for the cars sold in Canada.

If anyone has a pic of a 96 climate control with an AMB button, I'd really like to see it (so I can figure out where it should be..)

-zach
Zach, what is the procedure for getting the display to show the outside temp in diagnostic mode? I too, thought of this and went through my '96 FSM but did not see it. Please let me know. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Inside/Outside Temp Gauge