4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Inside/Outside Temp Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 05:06 PM

anyone have a write up on the climate control swap ,,, not bulb swap, but the hole thing
Old 03-02-2003, 01:00 AM

Originally posted by nforg
What I don't get is how some model cars from the same year with the same options have the amb button and some don't, did the guy installing the face plates run out and just pick up another one or something....

Or is the AMB possibly associated with an option? Perhaps Cold Weather Package, which changed it's name to Deluxe Seating Package in 98, it includes heated mirror/seats, etc.... I only guess this option because it is the top option you can get .... Someone said 96 had it??? Can you guys take close pics of your dash for us, if possible, thanks ..

BTW, what does AMB stand for??

-Nate
The ambient outside temp sensor is already installed in all Max's with Auto climate Control. On a 97, it is in front facia. It helps the A/C compensate for outside temp. There are 3 temp sensors on a 97: The one in center or front facia for outside temp: One in defrost vent to monitor temp output: And one in dash under those little slits by the temp controls to monitor actual interior temp.
On the '98, there is an additional air intake sensor right side of dash to monitor recirculated air temp. This helps control/maintain interior temp more precisely. My '97 struggles to keep temp just right. I often put system on manual.
I had a SHO, and the climate control worked perfectly, until it broke ( which it did, several times,and expensive to fix). I imagine the 98 Max ACC works very good too.
Old 03-02-2003, 02:22 AM

Re: Re: Re: :o)

Originally posted by ptatohed

Good job! Sounds like yours looks real nice. Pics would be great when you have a chance (not that I can do it with my '96). Just curious, how'd you find out about it in the first place? This thread or another source?

$100 to anyone who can figure this out for '95/'96! It's soo frustrating because when I look in there, sure enough the 'AMB' text is in there.

""$100 to anyone who can figure this out for '95/'96![/I] It's soo frustrating because when I look in there, sure enough the 'AMB' text is in there. ""

How do I collect? Can anyone vouch for this guy?
WTF do you need a momentary button for?? You have a place for a switch under the Gauges next to the dimmer switch. Just tap into the PCB and run the wires over to the switch. You can then leave "AMB" on . Gee, maybe I'll do this with my 1997, since there is no button anyway.

Anyone know if Infiniti has the AMB button? Another reason it is not on the Max. So they can put it on the Infiniti, just like the other goodies us Max owners would like to have available as options.
Old 03-02-2003, 08:17 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

Originally posted by Bgohan

""$100 to anyone who can figure this out for '95/'96![/I] It's soo frustrating because when I look in there, sure enough the 'AMB' text is in there. ""

WTF do you need a momentary button for?? You have a place for a switch under the Gauges next to the dimmer switch. Just tap into the PCB and run the wires over to the switch. You can then leave "AMB" on . Gee, maybe I'll do this with my 1997, since there is no button anyway.

That's ssuming you know where to tap into the circuit board..if there's even a spot for it. The 95/96 do not have a place for a button when you remove the faceplate..they were not designed for it. Theoretically, it should be possible, but I think you'd need the schematics for the climate control to figure it out. They still have the ambient temperature sensor mounted in the front of the engine compartment, and by putting the climate control in test mode, you are able to cycle through the temperatures being read by each sensor (might take a few steps, but it's still possible to display the amb temp ). If you know which 2 spots on the circuit board have to run through a switch to get the 95/96 to show the amb temp, by all means share with us.
Old 03-03-2003, 11:13 AM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

Originally posted by Bgohan

What are you saying Bgohan? That you figured it out?

Yes I'll give you $100 if you can tell me exactly how to have outside temp. display on my electronic climate control screen at the press of a button. But why are you asking how to collect if you haven't done it yet?