4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Inside/Outside Temp Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2001, 06:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Does anyone know of a good looking Temp gauge. I bought one from JCWhitney and it's a joke. JCWhitney is a joke. It looks like they made it for a circus car. It big and goofy with wires hanging from everywhere. How is that supposed to look good? I was going to rip the casing apart and make my own so it would look better in the car. It's so big I can't fit it anywhere with ease. I want something that looks like it was made for the newer interiors. Any comments are welcome. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2001, 07:10 AM

i wish

I wish they would make a temp gauge for the outside accomponied into the climate control...that would be the best arty: its prob cheap
Old 04-19-2001, 07:13 AM

Re: i wish

They do. My auto climate control has it I push the AMB button, and instant outside temps.

DW

Originally posted by matty
I wish they would make a temp gauge for the outside accomponied into the climate control...that would be the best its prob cheap
Old 04-19-2001, 07:51 AM

They added it to the Maxima in '97. If you have the ACC, you can see that it is on the display, but there is no button for it. I don't know about adding it, but I would assume it would involve adding another sensor to the network and would probably be rather hard to do.
Old 04-19-2001, 10:12 AM

97&Up ACC Upgrade for 95-96

Does anyone have an idea whether or not its possible to upgrade the Automatic Climate Control unit in 95-96 maximas with the 97-99 model?

I too would like the outside air temp display!
Old 04-19-2001, 10:14 AM

AMB button? where is that located? i have the ACC but have never noticed the AMB button... hmmm.. is it an aftermarket thing, or am I just blind?
Old 04-19-2001, 10:17 AM

Re: 97&Up ACC Upgrade for 95-96

Originally posted by 96SE_dsm
Does anyone have an idea whether or not its possible to upgrade the Automatic Climate Control unit in 95-96 maximas with the 97-99 model?

I too would like the outside air temp display!
There was a post on this already and it was told that it is a very time consuming job. There is also a lot of sensors needed to do this. The unit I bought was about $20. It just looks like it belongs in a bus.
Old 04-19-2001, 10:19 AM

sorry dude... i got all excited... thought there was something that i had missed... hmmm... oh well....
Old 04-19-2001, 10:21 AM

I think there's a mistake somewhere. The ACC changed in 98. The 97s have the older ACCs, and the 98s and beyond maximas have the newer one. It's the same one as the Gen 5 as well.
The 98s also were the 1st Maximas to have the digital odometer.

DW
Old 04-19-2001, 10:23 AM

bummer!! that solves the confusion!!
Old 04-19-2001, 10:23 AM

Opps, I was told it was '97 and up. I stand corrected.
Old 04-19-2001, 11:43 AM

there are 3

different ACC modules

One for the 95-96 then a newer "look" model for the 97, then the 98+ had a newer one with the outside temperature reading.
Old 04-19-2001, 02:11 PM

Re: there are 3

Originally posted by Matrix
different ACC modules

One for the 95-96 then a newer "look" model for the 97, then the 98+ had a newer one with the outside temperature reading.
I have a 98 SE with ALL the toys, and never seen a button to display outside temperature!
Old 04-19-2001, 02:15 PM
I'm needing a caw

Outside temp? Can't you just stick your head out the window?

My old Merkur had a nice feature. When it was about 35 deg F, it would light up a triangle, when it fell below 32 deg F(freezing) another light would would pop up inside the triangle. A nice feature to tell you to beware of black ice when it's dark outside.
Old 04-19-2001, 02:18 PM

Re: Re: there are 3

OK, so you do have the Auto climate control then. In the middle of the control display, there should be a button labeled AMB. Or, maybe in the middle of yours, there's a gap?? Right between the up and down temp buttons and the deforster and re-circulate button??

DW

Originally posted by Riot^

I have a 98 SE with ALL the toys, and never seen a button to display outside temperature!
Old 04-19-2001, 03:36 PM
MaxedOut97SE

It's wierd. Some Max's have them, some don't. I personally do not, but wish I did. I have never seen a 97 with it, but I have seen a few 96's with the outside temp. reading.

Old 04-19-2001, 03:43 PM

I saw another Temp Gauge that looks better than mine at Kmart today but mine has more features. I'll just have to redesign the one I have from JCCrappy.
Old 04-19-2001, 03:44 PM

My 96 had it so did my 92 but not the 97 sorry I think it sucks not having it
Old 04-19-2001, 04:19 PM

Medsonic/Signature Pictures

Originally posted by medicsonic
They added it to the Maxima in '97. If you have the ACC, you can see that it is on the display, but there is no button for it. I don't know about adding it, but I would assume it would involve adding another sensor to the network and would probably be rather hard to do.
Sorry, off subject. How about reworking your signature pictures. To read your comments you have to slide right to get them all. Think it's because of your pictures side by side. Just a thought. It's a bit of a pain when you're scrolling through to have to slide to read your stuff. Oh yeah, I do read your stuff.
Cheers
Old 04-23-2001, 10:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Re: there are 3

I want the ACC but have a 95 GXE can I install an ACC control box were the old one is? Are the plugs the same? Compatible?
Old 05-02-2001, 01:59 PM
Carl98SE

AMB ON 98 MAXIMA with ACC

Hey guys I just figured out that the 97 & 98 Maxima's have the amb button. You have to remove your ACC and the face plate and the button is in side and it works! You have to order an AMB button from the dealer from a 98 and a half or 99 maxima for a about $10. Then take your face plate and cut, or shave off the fake button. Put the new AMB button inside, put back the face plate and vois la! You now have the outside temp OEM style... Don't try it yet I ordered the button today so I will get it tommorow, I know it will work. I will let all of you know when I'm done....

Any ways let me know what you think!!!

Old 05-02-2001, 02:32 PM

Re: AMB ON 98 MAXIMA with ACC

Originally posted by Carl98SE
Hey guys I just figured out that the 97 & 98 Maxima's have the amb button. You have to remove your ACC and the face plate and the button is in side and it works! You have to order an AMB button from the dealer from a 98 and a half or 99 maxima for a about $10. Then take your face plate and cut, or shave off the fake button. Put the new AMB button inside, put back the face plate and vois la! You now have the outside temp OEM style... Don't try it yet I ordered the button today so I will get it tommorow, I know it will work. I will let all of you know when I'm done....

Any ways let me know what you think!!!
I have a 97 SE with ACC (Automatic Climate Control?). I don't have any spare buttons that I know of. I'll be REAL interested to hear if this works. Looked at your interior picture and our climate controls are different. If you make the swap, write down "how to" and take pictures too.
Cheers
Old 05-02-2001, 02:36 PM

AMB reading

What really blows my mind, is that the 3rd generation Maxima with the ACC, HAS THIS! (My parents used to have a '94 with it). Why they did away with it in '95, is beyond me. Unless I'm missing something. GTRBlkMax97 said he had one in his '96, but those two years were nearly identical.

I don't get the last message on this thread by Carl98SE. Why on Earth would Nissan put an active AMB system in place and hide the button with a fake overlay button? My guess is that he'll have to buy the sensor equipment too. That's the expensive part!

Personally, I think the AMB is a very useful sensor... gives you an idea in winter of how close the road is to having black ice. I looked for an aftermarket sensor in a variety of places, and couldn't find one that seemed good enough. Gave up for now...
Old 05-02-2001, 02:53 PM
Carl98SE

Gary I was at the dealer today and tested it and it worked. If you have an ACC that looks like mine and you flash a bright light in the display you can see the AMB light. When I took the face plate off I pressed the button underneith with a screw driver and the outside temp was showed. Trust me me it works and they all have it, I even compaired part numbers with my climate control v.s. the 99 climate control which has the AMB. This was a mistake that Nissan made and corrected in the last model year of the 4th generation Maxima. I will send all of you picts very soon once it is all done...As fare as the senser goes all cars with ACC has to have an outside temp to control the inside temp with the ACC. Try it if you have a ACC that looks like mine, take off the face plate and the button is hidden underneith. Good luck!!!

Old 05-02-2001, 05:06 PM
Carl98SE

Gary I was at the dealer today and tested it and it worked. If you have an ACC that looks like mine and you flash a bright light in the display you can see the AMB light. When I took the face plate off I pressed the button underneith with a screw driver and the outside temp was showed. Trust me me it works and they all have it, I even compaired part numbers with my climate control v.s. the 99 climate control which has the AMB. This was a mistake that Nissan made and corrected in the last model year of the 4th generation Maxima. I will send all of you picts very soon once it is all done...As fare as the senser goes all cars with ACC has to have an outside temp to control the inside temp with the ACC. Try it if you have a ACC that looks like mine, take off the face plate and the button is hidden underneith. Good luck!!!
I also just installed a rear view mirror that auto-dims and has the outside temp and North South East West on it. It even has an ICE worning when the temp is close to freezing. It is very simple to install and it looks like the new Infiniti I30 rear view mirror. I recomend if you order it get the one for the Subaru and go to Subaru and order the button that goes on the windshield from them (SUBARU IT'S $10) and have it installed by a auto glass place (IT TAKES 2 MINUTES. I paid $199 plus shipping $6. It has to be the best toy I have for my car. By the way the temp idicator is accurate. When ever they say the temp on the radio mine always matches... Hopefully I will send pictures to show you the instalation... The temp sensor should be mounted in front of the radiator on a cross member that is towards the side of the opening IN THE BUMPER. Look you will see... To order the mirror go to www.donnellye.com and you can call the 1-800# and say that a friend bought it for $199 THEY MIGHT WANT TO SELL IT TO YOU FOR MORE...DO NOT PAY MORE!!! I hope this helps

Old 05-02-2001, 05:37 PM

so let me get this straight...

All Maximas have the outside temp. display option?
and you simply need to get the button for it?
Old 05-02-2001, 05:45 PM
Carl98SE

Re: so let me get this straight...

Originally posted by Riot^
All Maximas have the outside temp. display option?
and you simply need to get the button for it?
Yup I will tell you tomorrow how it work. Just take the face plate off and you will see...First take a flash light and look at the display. AMB is writen on the bottom. So when I took the face off I reconected it and took a screw driver and pushed the button between the recerculate button and the up down temp button...Try it you will see it works!!!

Old 05-02-2001, 06:25 PM

I was going to go test this myself on my 97 GLE but couldn't get the dash off. I got the piece around the shifter and ashtray but how do you get the vents off? I think i broke half of it already. Is this sensor behind the clock or AC display? I am assuming clock since thats where the button goes. Do I have to take the rest of the dash off to get behind this piece? Please help! Thanks.
Old 05-02-2001, 07:12 PM
Carl98SE

Don't break the dash...The button must be on the Climate controle under a fake button. Look at my pic and if you have the same ACC as me then you can do it. To take the ACC out you need to take the clock/vent out. It is not easy you must pull up and out, do not use a screw driver. Once it is out take all the screws out and the radio and the climate control (ACC) will come out etc, I'm sure you can figure out the rest.... I hope I can help. I will post pictures up this weekend with the instalation.

Old 05-02-2001, 07:19 PM

I finally got it apart without braking it (I hope) and didn't find any button. But I dont have the same ACC as you do. Mine is automatic but my buttons for up/down are on the left where that square is and mine form a circle. So I guess I am out of luck. I have a 97 GLE by the way. Can't wait to drive the car and see how many rattles I have created.
Old 05-02-2001, 07:24 PM

One last question, in the cars that this comes stock with isn't the AMB button in the clock display? I thought it was for some reason.
Old 05-02-2001, 07:25 PM
Carl98SE

Sorry it didn't work on your model. I know forsure that the 98's work. Don't worry it won't rattle just make sure you put the clips right..GOOD LUCK

Old 05-02-2001, 08:30 PM
Langley AFB Sux

Hmmm

I wonder if for those of us with ACC and that have AMB in the display but no button.........if there is a way or maybe a button pressing combination to show the amb temp? There has to be a way or why have the display show it..

Aaron
Old 05-02-2001, 08:48 PM
MaxedOut97SE

good point!

Old 05-02-2001, 09:06 PM
Langley AFB Sux

Well.....

I went out and tried a few things......nothing. I wonder if there is a place like on the 98's, maybe on the back to add a button....why would nissan have a option to show amb temp but no button to actually do it? Think ill call the nissan shop tomorrow. Would love to be able to use this feature

Aaron
Old 05-02-2001, 09:28 PM

What I don't get is how some model cars from the same year with the same options have the amb button and some don't, did the guy installing the face plates run out and just pick up another one or something....

Or is the AMB possibly associated with an option? Perhaps Cold Weather Package, which changed it's name to Deluxe Seating Package in 98, it includes heated mirror/seats, etc.... I only guess this option because it is the top option you can get .... Someone said 96 had it??? Can you guys take close pics of your dash for us, if possible, thanks ..

BTW, what does AMB stand for??

-Nate
Old 05-02-2001, 09:32 PM
Langley AFB Sux

" Ambient" nm

now i want to figure out how to get this working.........

Originally posted by nforg
What I don't get is how some model cars from the same year with the same options have the amb button and some don't, did the guy installing the face plates run out and just pick up another one or something....

Or is the AMB possibly associated with an option? Perhaps Cold Weather Package, which changed it's name to Deluxe Seating Package in 98, it includes heated mirror/seats, etc.... I only guess this option because it is the top option you can get .... Someone said 96 had it??? Can you guys take close pics of your dash for us, if possible, thanks ..

BTW, what does AMB stand for??

-Nate
Old 05-02-2001, 10:39 PM

Sorry it didn't work on your model. I know forsure that the 98's work. Don't worry it won't rattle just make sure you put the clips right..GOOD LUCK
Dude, finally a normal pic of your dash! I got the same exact setup as you, and I have a 98SE, so that means I have an option for that?
If I do, I swear to god I am gonna go to Nissan dealership and burn that place down, that would be the lowest scam they can pull on people to get them to buy those damn buttons for $10 Those damn Mot@^$7%^@#kers

And you my friend have made a great discovery?

Anything else interesting? Like a hidden Turbo Charger?
Old 05-03-2001, 07:24 AM
Carl98SE

Riot^

Behind the fake button between the recerculate button and the up/down temp button, that is where the new button will go. You have to remove the face plate of the ACC and cut out the dummy button and incert the new one that you order from Nissan. Before you cut anything test it first. Remove the face plate, in order to gain access to the button. Plug back the acc and press the "AMB" button (at this point it looks like a flate rubber *** deep in the unit), if it works go order the new button and cut the dummy out. Thats all for now I will let you know how my little project worked out....

If you want to get 50 more horse power out of your maxima for under 50 bucks then here you go:

1) Go to auto supply store and buy a tow rope
2) Find a friend with a glue gun
3) Get 5 large elastic bands
4) A 40 watt light bulb (Not 60 watt to strong)
5) Silly puddy
6) Lots of speaker wire
7) 2 nine volt batteries

You know on second thought I don't want to give up all my secrets

HAVE A NICE DAY!

Old 05-03-2001, 07:27 AM

AMB

Originally posted by Aaron95SE
I went out and tried a few things......nothing. I wonder if there is a place like on the 98's, maybe on the back to add a button....why would nissan have a option to show amb temp but no button to actually do it? Think ill call the nissan shop tomorrow. Would love to be able to use this feature

Aaron
I've got a 97 SE 5spd with everything BUT the cold wx package. Man, I wish it had the cold wx package but I got it used. I went out and looked at the display and yes there is a "amb" in there. I've got the auto climate control and there are no "extra" buttons I also tried a number of switches in combination but no luck. Can anyone figure this thing out for us 97s with auto climate???? I'd love to get this thing working without having to cut and chop the dash and add something that doesn't look like it should be there.
Oh well, I'll be watching. Now it's off to get an oil pressure sensor from Nissan.
Cheers

Quick Reply: Inside/Outside Temp Gauge