4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What HID kits would you recommend for a Maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004 | 10:11 AM
Armani

What HID kits would you recommend for a Maxima?

I'm looking to buy HID's. I don't want to spend more than say $500. I want to get a very bluish, Audi S4-type HID's because IMO they look the best out of all HID's out there.

Any suggestions? What would you go with?

I found these and I really like them but I don't know if they will fit: http://www.hidtech.com/

they're the first pictures under PRODUCTS: "Euro Spec Valeo HID Package"
Old 12-02-2004 | 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Armani
I'm looking to buy HID's. I don't want to spend more than say $500. I want to get a very bluish, Audi S4-type HID's because IMO they look the best out of all HID's out there.

Any suggestions? What would you go with?

I found these and I really like them but I don't know if they will fit: http://www.hidtech.com/

they're the first pictures under PRODUCTS: "Euro Spec Valeo HID Package"
Are you talking about aftermarket HID kits or OE stuff? HIDtech only sells OE HID components that you'll need to retrofit into your housings. They are not PLUG-N-PLAY like aftermarket rebased kits. The bluish color flickering from most Audis are due to their projectors (Valeos) and not the bulbs. All OE hid projectors have some blue in them depending on what angle you're looking at.
Old 12-02-2004 | 10:20 AM

I love my HID kit. 8000k Phillips K2 with Hella ballast. I'll post pictures this Saturday if your interested? By the way you will never get that crisp Audi look unless you get projectors. Our light housing is not made for that and it will just scatter the light everywhere and blind other drivers. So if you do end up getting HIDs, get ready to get high beamed a couple times a year if you don't have projectors.
Old 12-02-2004 | 10:33 AM
Tha Snatcher

quick question, sorry to steal the thread. i bought some projectors over the summer and i forgot what kind of bulb is uses. All i remember is that they are BMW projectors from an E- something. 46 i think. i can't find the receipt for my purchase. what's the bulbs size? D2S or D2R?

oh i recommend Phillps HIDs hands down, i have phillps bulbs and ballasts, 4100k. Brightest and whitest you can get!!
Old 12-02-2004 | 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Iron Scimitar
quick question, sorry to steal the thread. i bought some projectors over the summer and i forgot what kind of bulb is uses. All i remember is that they are BMW projectors from an E- something. 46 i think. i can't find the receipt for my purchase. what's the bulbs size? D2S or D2R?

oh i recommend Phillps HIDs hands down, i have phillps bulbs and ballasts, 4100k. Brightest and whitest you can get!!
All HID projectors use D2S bulbs. Only HID reflectors use D2R bulbs.
Old 12-02-2004 | 10:49 AM
Always sunny in philly

Originally Posted by MaximaGLE1
I love my HID kit. 8000k Phillips K2 with Hella ballast. I'll post pictures this Saturday if your interested? By the way you will never get that crisp Audi look unless you get projectors. Our light housing is not made for that and it will just scatter the light everywhere and blind other drivers. So if you do end up getting HIDs, get ready to get high beamed a couple times a year if you don't have projectors.

Phillips produces an 8000k bulb?

AM: Phillips 6000k kit or OEM retrofit. I've read a lot of mixed reviews about HIDTECH.com. If you go with them, u may want to do some more research
Old 12-02-2004 | 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Nismotic
Phillips produces an 8000k bulb?

AM: Phillips 6000k kit or OEM retrofit. I've read a lot of mixed reviews about HIDTECH.com. If you go with them, u may want to do some more research
I guess Philips produced a 8000K bulb just for K2??? J/K!!!

HIDtech has been under alot of heat lately...due to their recent decline in worksmanship and customer service. Also, their email response have been very very slow. If looking for quality OE parts, I suggest to give www.hidplanet.com a try.
Old 12-02-2004 | 11:21 AM
Armani

So are you guys saying that there's no way I can ever get that bluish look that Audi S4's emit for $500 or so??? What do you guys mean by retro fit the OE ones?
Old 12-02-2004 | 11:25 AM
Armani

what if I were to get this kit: http://www.hidplanet.com/package.html

Would I be able to install this myself? I know modifications are needed, but how major?
Old 12-02-2004 | 11:27 AM
Tha Snatcher

Originally Posted by imports_only1
All HID projectors use D2S bulbs. Only HID reflectors use D2R bulbs.
awesome, thanks for the info.
Old 12-02-2004 | 11:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

get projectors..
Old 12-02-2004 | 12:02 PM

Yes do get projector.

Check out this system:

http://www.starship1.com/html/k2_h_i_d__systems.html
Old 12-02-2004 | 12:12 PM
Armani

Originally Posted by MaximaGLE1
Yes do get projector.

Check out this system:

http://www.starship1.com/html/k2_h_i_d__systems.html
So, is the installation easy? What exactly is meant by "projectors" as opposed to what else? What I like is a look that from far away one doesn't see a scattered beam coming from my headlights, but rather a little bluish or whitish dot.
Old 12-03-2004 | 12:44 PM
Armani

anyone...?
Old 12-03-2004 | 01:23 PM

There a big difference between a retrofit and rebased kit. Rebased kits are plug and play; direct plug into your halogen housing. However, a retrofit requires you to cut up your halogen housing to accept the OE projectors. Then you need to mount the projectors securely, aligned them, and then re-seal them back up so that no moisture or water can get in. It's a tidious process that requires time, creativity, and patience. But the result is well worth it.

If you're good with tools (dremel) and have the time, creativity, and patience, you can do it. If not, I suggest you check out the retrofitting services provided by HIDplanet.com ( w/ Illusion-Ligthing). Your other option is HIDretro.com. I have seen Pliepl's retros and they are all excellent work. I don't recommend HIDtech because of their current reputation.
Old 12-03-2004 | 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Armani
what if I were to get this kit: http://www.hidplanet.com/package.html

Would I be able to install this myself? I know modifications are needed, but how major?
HIDplanet.com sells only OE HID components just like HIDtech.com. Therefore, you will need to retrofit them into your housing. Inserting a rebased kit into your halogen housing will never yield the output and the nice blue, purple, white color flickering that you see coming from Audis, BMW, M-B, Lexus, etc. But a retrofit will yield the exact same results...sometimes even better if you modify the shield. I'm not in any relation associated with HIDplanet.com but I do recommend you to visit that forum and do some research.

Check out my DIY for the HID projector retrofit:

Maxima HID retrofit DIY
Old 12-03-2004 | 01:42 PM
Armani

thanks a bunch for the responses guys