4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

need help...car wouldn't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 10:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

need help...car wouldn't start

My car is having major issues. Lately when I come to a stop, my car would stall. It started back up though. I have no idea what's going on so I brought the car into the dealer to let them look at it. I brought the car in last Wednesday and got the car back today. The car isn't fixed. They basically gave up because they couldn't figure out the problem either. Like I said, the car would start back up usually. However, when I try to start the car at the dealer, it wouldn't start. It cranks, but doesn't start. I had to get the car towed back to my house. At home, I recheck everything that I could. Check spark plugs, fuses, fuel pump, battery, vacuum lines, etc. Nothing! All seem to check out fine. WTH? I can't believe even the mechanics at the dealer could figure it out. So bad they gave up. I'm so sick of this crap. If I could fix this problem, I might just go ahead and sell/trade the car in. Ideas???
Old 12-07-2004, 10:43 AM
^ Jeff™

Did they test the MAF? That's usually the first thing a dealership would say...then try and charge $550 for a backordered part.

I take it you aren't getting any codes either?
Old 12-07-2004, 11:23 AM

I really have no idea what they check. They say they check everything. Yet when I asked about the fuel pump, they said they didn't check that. As far as codes, it's weird. With the stock ECU in there, I got a 0111 which is a EVAP code. However, when I plugged the JWT ECU in there, I got a 0505 which means everything is fine. I'm not sure but when I turned the key to the ON position, I didn't hear the fuel pump activating. I have the stock fuel pump in there now. I know it's not going to be as loud as the Walbro pump when, but I think I should still be able to hear it when I turn to the ON position right? Like I said, I checked the fuel pump itself and it seems fine. I don't know about the sensors. I don't have a meter to check. I think I should go buy one.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:44 AM
^ Jeff™

Are you able to check your fuel pressure with a gauge?...
Is the car running fine otherwise if it's still on?
Last time you changed fuel filter?
Are you low on gas at the time?
Old 12-07-2004, 11:57 AM

Haven't check fuel pressure. Other than starting up, the car's stereo and accessories work fine. Changed fuel filter just recently, about 5k miles again. Yes it was kind of low on gas. So I thought it was that. I filled the car up with some more gas and it still didn't start. So it's not that. Can the fuel pressure be check without starting the car? Could it be the fuel sending unit?
Old 12-07-2004, 01:16 PM

Well, I'm going to have another mechanic take a look at it. It was my dad's idea. This guy has a shop near where I work. My dad knows him pretty well apparently. I would be shock if he could fix it when the guys at the Nissan dealer couldn't. Oh well, no harm in letting him check. I'll update you guys.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:07 PM
^ Jeff™

I really don't know where to start. You've already ensured you are getting spark so I don't think it is an electrical problem. Unless one of your sensors aren't sending the correct signal. Sounds like your MAF is either not plugged in or a vacuum hose is loose/cracked. That's happened to me before.

Check the fuel pump/sending unit as well.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:59 PM

Ok, the guy just stopped by and said he foud the problem. He said it's the computer? The computer that controls the whole car. Does he mean the ECU? Besides the ECU right next to the gas pedal, is there another ECU somewhere else? I know there is a control unit for the automatic transmission behind the center console. It can't be the ECU because I tried both the stock ECU and the JWT ECU, neither of them could result in getting the car started.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:33 PM

Just got the car back. It starts up fine now. However, still a slight problem. When I'm cruising along, it's fine but when I floor the gas, there's a hesitation for about 2 second and then the car would go. I'm going to bring back to the guy to have a look.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:57 AM

Yup this is exactly what i'm having as well... It seems to be a mystery problem with alot of 4th gen Max's..

I would drive for a while, come to a red light or stop sign and car would just die out. Try starting it up a few more times and eventually it'll stay running again. But it seems to happen really often now.

But the hesitation i feel as well. If after a light the RPM starts to drop, i step on the gas the car like studders then goes then studders and goes...

I'm not sure what the problem is but i changed the ECTS, fuel filter, sparks few months ago, new oil, and tried using chevron fuel injection cleaner.... problem still there..

Also have a hard time starting on a cold morning.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by viktornguyen

But the hesitation i feel as well. If after a light the RPM starts to drop, i step on the gas the car like studders then goes then studders and goes...

Exactly what I meant by the hesitation that I'm feeling. It doesn't happen all the time.

I just bought a mutli-meter. I'm going to check...everything...lol. We'll see if anything comes up. Checked ECU codes again, got a 0505(mean nothing is wrong).
Old 12-08-2004, 01:12 PM

You key things to start up is Fuel, Spark, Compression and Air. It has to be one of those 4.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:28 PM
Team Ramrod

same thing happened to me. i had a bunch of things wrong, crankshaft position sensor, engine coolant temperature sensor, bad fuel injectors, and to top it all off, my ecu was gone. it was corroded and rusted because apparantly a long time ago some moisture got into it... maybe its your ecu module
Old 12-08-2004, 02:37 PM
^ Jeff™

Not his ecu module...he is using 2 of them.

Cumalot - Anything come up using the multimeter? Check all sensors as possible. Check the MAF too, just in case.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:44 PM
I need a truck

How's the MAF? My car was acting all weird when I didn't have the harness properly secured.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:19 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Have you checked the vacuum? I know that you've done a lot of parts swapping in the recent months and if you reused intake gaskets, they could be failing.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:21 PM

I haven't check with the multi-meter yet. I'm going to check everything including the MAF. I don't think it's any gaskets, I always get new gaskets.

Right now it's running fine except for the hesitation from time to time.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:24 PM
Made in Taiwan

cumalot,
1)check your intakes vaccum system like others said, it's really important you do this first, make sure there are no chance for leaks.

2) check and maybe replace your tps(throttle body position sensor). this little devil can do many things when it's rusted. i had this similar problem once with my old sentra, and replaced a 30 dollar tps, and everything went fine after that.

3) come down to baton rouge to visit us here, we (maxima orgers) need to meet more and get acquainted. hehehe.

peter
Old 12-08-2004, 09:48 PM

take out your fuel pump and check all the connections, i have dealt with the same intermentent problem and the ground on the send unit was partially burned through giving it a poor connection
Old 12-09-2004, 11:35 AM

I still haven't check with the multi-meter yet, probably have to wait until the weekend. Another I noticed is after a drive, when I get out, I smell gas. No sure if it's coming from the muffler or not. I checked and didn't find any leaks. Like I said I'll probably have to wait until the weekend to check with the multi-meter since I'm going to check everything.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:49 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

A $20 multimeter from Sears and a Haynes manual will walk you through a lot.

rough idle/stalling at idle I would check the IACV (not a cheap part)....but I doubt thats the whole problem. Also check coolant temp sensor (cheap part).
Old 12-10-2004, 11:58 AM

I had some free time today, so I checked a few things with the mult-meter.

TPS at closed position, it had a .60k ohm reading.

IACV had a 32 ohm reading

Fuel injectors had a 32 ohm reading.

MAF checked out fine. I assume the IACV and fuel injectors are fine too right? How about the TPS? Is .60k ohm at the closed position ok?

That was all I checked today. Still need to check the fuel sending unit.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:14 PM
Sports Button FTW

camshaft position sensor?

why does everyone say MAF? i think even if MAF was missing, car would still start, just wont rev high and be real rough dont yaw think?
Old 12-10-2004, 01:44 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The IACV has six pins and requires checking resistance between 5 sets of the pins as I recall.
Old 12-11-2004, 12:29 PM

Just an update. I haven't experienced the hesitation anymore. Maybe it's temporary and it will come back, maybe it will not. Anyway, I did some more work on the car today. Everything else seem to check out. I didn't locate any problem with the mulit-meter. However, I noticed one thing while working on the car. I noticed there was some fuel coming out of the top of the fuel filter. I tightened it up more. I guess when I changed the fuel filter awhile back, I didn't tighten the top clamp enough. Not sure if this had anything to do with my problems. Regardless, I know leaking fuel out of the fuel filter isn't good.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:27 AM

Come on, no feedbacks?

I checked the camshaft position sensor today. It had a reading of 1840 ohm. Is that normal? How about the readings I gave a few posts above about the TPS and IACV?