4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Wierd Noise Driver side Tire

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 05:18 PM

Wierd Noise Driver side Tire

Was driving today and noticed a weird faint whining noise coming from the driver side front tire.

It seems to come and go. Has anybody else experienced this before?
Old 12-13-2004, 08:57 AM

Yup, there have been a number of threads about this, and probably noone replys to your question because noone knows what causes it. One guy said it is a sign of a bad bearing, but, generally, wheel bearings all make the same kind of noise when they go bad, and this isn't it. Furthermore, there will be play in the hub if the bearing is going bad. My car makes this noise and there is no play in the hub. If there are no other characteristics of a bad wheel bearing, it doesn't make sense to say the bearing is bad, does it? Anyhow, I just live with it. It will be interesting to see, if my wheel bearing does go bad, if the whining goes away with a new bearing.

Greg
Old 12-13-2004, 09:02 AM

I appreciate the help. I'll have my mechanic check it out next time.

Asked so many times but no real answer. Seems kinda odd. There's always a fix to a problem here.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Same thing here, i have this problem, it come and go but i found that it make it only when i'm driving for a while on the highway (maybe a heat buildup?).
My friend think it's the transmission seal, but i never cheked it.
I hope that sombody knows about this problem
Old 12-16-2004, 08:35 AM

I've noticed that this happens after a long drive and only going at low speeds.

It's like a slow whine and get's louder then stops.

Argh!!
Old 12-16-2004, 08:52 AM

thats exactly wuts happening to me...like from 15-35 mph then it goes away..i will have it looked at and will report back since i need to fix my cv boots soon. grease = bad

-myke
Old 12-17-2004, 05:25 AM

I am having the same problem, it's driving me nuts. It's does not make the noise all the time, usually after a long drive. I guess after it get hot down there. I wish someone knew exactly what the noise is, it's annoying as hell. I don't want people staring at my car thinking "man, that's a piece of crap."
Old 12-17-2004, 05:28 AM

Glad I'm not the only one. Hopefully we can come up with some kind of solution.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:26 AM
Custom User Title

My rear left wheel makes sort of a squeeking noise only when turning right, is this a symptom of a bad wheel bearing ?
Old 12-17-2004, 12:00 PM

Signs of a bad wheel bearing:

NOISES: usually a rumble that gets louder the worse the bearing becomes. Pitch of the rumble will change as you go right or left (loading or unloading the bearing).

PLAY: jack up the corner of the car closest to the suspect wheel, grab wheel at 9 and 3 o'clock, and try to rock back and forth (i.e., push with the right hand while you pull with the left, repeat quickly). There shouldn't be any movement whatsoever. If there is any play, the bearing is bad. If it is bad, you probably can also rotate the wheel and feel the unevenness in its rotation.

As you can see, since everyone's noise seems to come and go, and there are no complaints of a rumbling sound, it all fails the wheel bearing test. The other thing I was thinking is that there isn't enough grease in the bearing, or the grease is failing, which causes the noise when it gets really hot. This means the bearing may fail in time, just not yet. Just a theory though.

Greg
Old 12-18-2004, 12:25 AM

Check your axle.. seriously. When my axles were bad and the boots were gone, they would make a faint whining noise
Old 01-09-2005, 05:22 PM

yea guys update. i fixed my axles and boots today and the noise is gone + the steering is way easier to do now. took a coupe of hours but it wasnt that bad so if youre having that whining noise, noticing clicking sounds, and steering is a ittle unresponsive, i suggest doing it soon. good luck guys.

-myke
Old 02-06-2005, 02:35 PM

Update:

I recently took my driver side wheel off and noticed a grove on the outside part of the rotor( near the middle). Does anybody know if this is producing the whinning noise?

Should I replace my rotors?

I am not noticing any click,click sounds when turning. So I don't think my axles are bad and no torn boots.

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-06-2005, 03:31 PM

Anybody know what heats up down there that can cause a whinning noise? The sound reminds me of a balloon that you let go of the air slowly from the mouth of the balloon.

This only happens after about 30mins of constant driving and only happens at low speeds.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:34 PM
Black Maxima

Signs of a bad wheel bearing:

NOISES: usually a rumble that gets louder the worse the bearing becomes. Pitch of the rumble will change as you go right or left (loading or unloading the bearing).

PLAY: jack up the corner of the car closest to the suspect wheel, grab wheel at 9 and 3 o'clock, and try to rock back and forth (i.e., push with the right hand while you pull with the left, repeat quickly). There shouldn't be any movement whatsoever. If there is any play, the bearing is bad. If it is bad, you probably can also rotate the wheel and feel the unevenness in its rotation.

As you can see, since everyone's noise seems to come and go, and there are no complaints of a rumbling sound, it all fails the wheel bearing test. The other thing I was thinking is that there isn't enough grease in the bearing, or the grease is failing, which causes the noise when it gets really hot. This means the bearing may fail in time, just not yet. Just a theory though.

Greg
Hey, thanks Greg. I'm getting a rumbling noise from the right side of my car when I go left, right, and over bumps. Tomorrow, I'll jack up the car and see what's happening.

Old 02-07-2005, 05:59 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I'm also getting that wining noise after a 20 - 30 min highway cruise..

My question to you guys is for those that are experiancing the noise, are we all on a lowered suspension setup? If so the angle the CV boots are at could be the issue here. If the boots are compressed and rubbing ribbs against each other this could be causing the wining noise. I'm going to lube the outside of the boots up tomorrow and take a drive. If the noise doesn't come back, then I think I might be onto something.

EDIT: I don't think it's really anything to be concerned about, it's annoying for sure when it's present but my car has been making the noise for almost a year now and nothing has failed or shows signs of wear on my drive shafts, CV boots, brakes, tranny, ect..... It would be nice to really figure out WTF this noise is.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:01 PM

Could be, I noticed my axles are not straight... they are at an angle from being so low...
Old 02-07-2005, 08:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Update here!!!

Since it is cold these days up here i don't hear the whinnig sound anymore EXCEPT if i'm really bad on brake so it more or less confirm the heat buidup!

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd

My question to you guys is for those that are experiancing the noise, are we all on a lowered suspension setup? If so the angle the CV boots are at could be the issue here. If the boots are compressed and rubbing ribbs against each other this could be causing the wining noise. I'm going to lube the outside of the boots up tomorrow and take a drive. If the noise doesn't come back, then I think I might be onto something.
i'm on stock suspenssion here so i don't think it matters.

I'm getting tired of this noise!
Old 02-07-2005, 09:25 PM

Looks like we might be able to solve this if more people are trying to figure this out.

I'm on Stock springs/Illumina Struts.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:48 AM

OK, seems ride height isn't a factor.
Thats the first thing we can eliminate.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:41 AM

Got the same problem. Had both CV joints replaced because they were shot when I bot the car. The sound went away for a while, but just came back on the left front wheel about 6-8 months after having that CV joint replaced.

Someone mentioned the CV boot rubbing against itself. That is a possibility, as the noise went way for about 6-8 months after I got a new joint with a new boot. I has the wheel off the other day and found that by turning the front rotor by hand, sometimes I could reproduce the sound and sometimes not.

I have no clue guys. If anyone finds out, let me know!

Mike

PS- at my last brake change I had Just Brakes do the full bearing re-packing and all that jazz. It didn't seem to do any good at all.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:47 AM

EDIT: I don't think it's really anything to be concerned about, it's annoying for sure when it's present but my car has been making the noise for almost a year now and nothing has failed or shows signs of wear on my drive shafts, CV boots, brakes, tranny, ect..... It would be nice to really figure out WTF this noise is.
Did the lube work?
Old 02-08-2005, 05:30 PM

Didn't get a chance to do it and after reading crashmanmikes post I'm thinking it may not be the boots. What it could be is the bearing dust seal on the inside of the hub. That seal sits against the drive shaft and could be giving off the high pitched wine if it's not lubricated or dried out. But in theory both sides should do that and everyone on here only has it happening on the left front.

I'll definately be pulling my wheel off and lubing a few things on the left front hub assy. I'll update this post every time I do something to keep you guys updated on the results.
Old 02-19-2005, 05:11 PM

Update:

To everybody that's been following this thread. I believe the final answer to this question is finally here.

We put the car on the Lift and pin pointed where the noise was coming from; it was coming from inside the CV boot or around the joint area. Tried to squeeze some grease inside but that didn't help.

So the mechanic suggested replacing the whole axle. After driving for 2 hours on the highway and driving around local streets I no longer hear the whining noise coming from the driver side wheel.

If you’re having the symptoms listed throughout this thread replace your axle and you'll be fine.

Thanks for all the help that everybody contributed.

Old 02-19-2005, 05:19 PM
Black Maxima

How much is an axle and how easy would it be to install (if you could)?

Old 02-19-2005, 05:23 PM

Everbody recommends http://www.raxles.com/

I had a mechanic do it for me.

Cost: $150 parts/labor
Old 02-19-2005, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by crashmanmike
Got the same problem. Had both CV joints replaced because they were shot when I bot the car. The sound went away for a while, but just came back on the left front wheel about 6-8 months after having that CV joint replaced.
Dragon, hate to burst your bubble but the guy above replaced his axle's only to have the noise return shortly. You upset the right front drive line by takng it apart. As in the case above, the noise is gone. But I doubt the axle was the cause. Did you notice if the inner hub seal was worn or dry while you had the axle out? Was there any wear on the sealing areas of the axle, both hub side and tranny side? Was there an excess build up of brake dust anywhere inside the hub area, such as near the ABS pick up ring? What was the condition of your CV boots, were they very dry? Did you spin the hub assembly once the axle was out to see if there was any resistance? After having your axle out, what was the overall condition of the joint, was it very loose or tight? How about the inner joint, is the boot very dry and is the CV joint tight or loose?

When you had the car up, was the sound coming from the inner CV or the outter CV near the hub?

Any more info that you can post would be helpful.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:22 PM

Dragon, hate to burst your bubble but the guy above replaced his axle's only to have the noise return shortly. You upset the right front drive line by takng it apart. As in the case above, the noise is gone. But I doubt the axle was the cause. Did you notice if the inner hub seal was worn or dry while you had the axle out? Was there any wear on the sealing areas of the axle, both hub side and tranny side? Was there an excess build up of brake dust anywhere inside the hub area, such as near the ABS pick up ring? What was the condition of your CV boots, were they very dry? Did you spin the hub assembly once the axle was out to see if there was any resistance? After having your axle out, what was the overall condition of the joint, was it very loose or tight? How about the inner joint, is the boot very dry and is the CV joint tight or loose?

When you had the car up, was the sound coming from the inner CV or the outter CV near the hub?

Any more info that you can post would be helpful.
Ok let me try and answer each one of your questions-

From what he said he replaced the CV boot and not the whole Axle.

Condition of Boot: No Rips looked totally normal. We thought there wasn't any grease inside so we pumped some in but that didn't help.

The sound was coming from the hub side and not the tranny.

Spinning the hub didn't create any noise.

I believe the sound was coming from the joint from the hub to axle

I didn't get a good look at the old axle sealing areas, but from what I remember the hub side of the axle looked brown (maybe rust)

That's all I can remember for now. I guess I'll wait 6-8 months and see if it comes back.