4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

LED Clearing Light bulbs.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 09:54 AM

LED Clearing Light bulbs.

Someone did a write up in this forum referencing changing out the standard bulbs with led bulbs...for the clearing / cornering lights...apparently it is a simple swap and they are much brighter. Has anyone attempted this and would you know where to purchase such bulbs?
Old 12-14-2004, 10:25 AM

www. superbrightleds.com

Almost any and every LED bulb you would need for the Maxima.

Plug and Play.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:17 PM

Have you used the LED light for the clearance lights? If so, which model light would I need to purchase? Once installed, is there an issue with failure and/or any need for some kind of conversion given the lower power needed?
Old 12-14-2004, 03:21 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

i have red led blinkers and the blink liek 3 times as fast. how do you fix this?
Old 12-14-2004, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by oceancrest67
Have you used the LED light for the clearance lights? If so, which model light would I need to purchase? Once installed, is there an issue with failure and/or any need for some kind of conversion given the lower power needed?
Just get the LED bulb that will replace the bulb you're looking for. 194, 1157, etc.

You do not have to modify the wiring at all or anything, they are plug and play. However, you may end up with rapid blinking as quoted below. Doesn't hurt anything, you just may not like it.

Originally Posted by ManualMaxima
i have red led blinkers and the blink liek 3 times as fast. how do you fix this?

To get rid of the rapid blinking, just put a resistor on the 12v wire of the bulb. This added resistance will simulate a stock bulb and the flash rate will normalize.

A 6 Ohm resistor should suffice.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:08 PM

wow igobuk you really no your shiznit.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by 2 Da Max
wow igobuk you really no your shiznit.
Thanks.

I learned soldering from working with computers and circuit boards and crap... but as far as LED's go for car mods, I learned everything I know off of this org and trying the stuff in the write ups myself.

After learning from that, I improvised and did other stuff not in the write ups like the Bose LED stuff I did. All based on the original write ups though.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:49 PM

they sell this on superbrightleds.com

LOAD RESISTOR KITS

One LOAD Resistor is required for each turn signal bulb

6 Ohm, 50 Watt resistors can be connected across the turn signal bulbs to simulate the load of a regular filament bulb (2 Amp load). This will solve LED related turn signal problems such as hyper flashing or burnt out bulb indications. Resistor measures 1.96L x .64W x .60H inches, leads are 12 inches long.
Kit Includes gel filled moisture resistant splice taps.

CONNECTION INSTRUCTIONS: Using included splice taps, connect one wire to ground and the other wire to the turn/brake hot wire. Splice taps allow for installation without cutting your turn signal wires.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Igobuk
Thanks.

I learned soldering from working with computers and circuit boards and crap... but as far as LED's go for car mods, I learned everything I know off of this org and trying the stuff in the write ups myself.

After learning from that, I improvised and did other stuff not in the write ups like the Bose LED stuff I did. All based on the original write ups though.
But for the cornering lights...I should be fine swapping them out without installing some kind of resistor? The cornering/clearance lights on my GXE are my parking lights and stay on when I turn my head lights on...no weird blinking problems created when swapping out these bulbs?

I just want to be sure what I am getting into before I spend my money.

Another topic: HID kits for headlights...I am reading that there is an issue using stock head units with a conversion kit...that it is better to go all the way and purchase projector head units. What is your opinion and experience...also, can you direct me to a good web site etc.

I am not looking for looks...I am looking for better lighting for driving and driving safety...especially in the rain.

Thanks.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:57 AM

Yeah, for the two marker lights (the one next to the headlight and the one right under that) a straight swap is fine. You only need a resistor for the blinker under the headlight or the tail blinkers. All other bulbs can be straight swaps as they don't blink. And don't get the resistor from superbrightleds.com, just get a Radio Shack one and splice it in.

As far as HID's go, I honestly don't have any personal experience with them. From what I remember on this forum however, our headlight housings are not made for HID bulbs... meaning that they will not disperse the light properly.

You can fit them in there and they'll light up and look cool but just be bright and not really help you see any better. A projector kit on the other hand is what will give you the real benefits of HID lighting by focusing the light and aiming it down the road.