4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need some assitance :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 04:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Need some assitance :)

I went to start my car this morning, its around 10 degrees outside. Anyway, it wouldn't start. I tried for about 5 minutes to get it going, using "cold weather starting" techniques, outlined in the TSB thread. However it would not turn over. For the first few minutes I could at least hear it attempting from the faint whined up noise, which was completely gone pretty quickly. From then on out all I could hear was clicking noise when I attempted to start the car. Now, I know this sounds like a battery issue, and I thought that myself, since i've had to jump my battery before and it was doing the same thing before I jumped it. However, I was able turn the radio on, and lights etc, with no problem, when it died the last time it came on for a few seconds then just went out, but this time it stayed on. I also tried jumping the car after this point and still got nothing, just that clicking noise. Any chance it could be the starter or something else? Or could it just be the battery playing tricks on me? It started up fine last night when it was like 35 degrees out
Old 12-15-2004, 05:16 AM

It maybe time for a new battery? They usually crap out between 4 and 7 years old.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:12 AM

Based on the limited info provided, most likely the starter.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:20 AM

Radio and other electrical items working does not equal a good battery. There can be enough juice to run those things yet not enough to actually start the car. Change the battery and if that doesn't work then it's probably the starter.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:07 AM

Yeah, im going to lean towards the battery as well. The last time my car died, which was like 3 weeks ago it was pretty warm, and the car had been sitting in "on" playing some music while I was cleaning it, after about 10 minutes **** just shut off, first my subs died, then the rear speakers, then the tweeters, finally everything was just off. Any suggestion on type of battery to get? I was thinking Optima Red Top, I did some reading (not really) and they seem to have a cold start rating and overall performance rating than most batteries. Anywho, thanks fellaz
Old 12-15-2004, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mmmaxx
Yeah, im going to lean towards the battery as well. The last time my car died, which was like 3 weeks ago it was pretty warm, and the car had been sitting in "on" playing some music while I was cleaning it, after about 10 minutes **** just shut off, first my subs died, then the rear speakers, then the tweeters, finally everything was just off. Any suggestion on type of battery to get? I was thinking Optima Red Top, I did some reading (not really) and they seem to have a cold start rating and overall performance rating than most batteries. Anywho, thanks fellaz
Whatever brand of battery you get, pay attention to not just the "cranking amps" (ca) rating but, more importantly in Maine, the "cold cranking amps" (cca) rating.

I used to have a diesel car and lived in Boston. When it got really cold out I would always have to spend a few extra seconds cranking the engine while the plugs warmed the fuel up enough. I was killing batteries until I got a big truck battery with like 1100 cold cranking amps or something like that. It gave me the extra cranking power to get the car started every time, no more jump starting.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:19 AM

Today 11:07 AM
Mmmaxx
I did some reading (not really)
That made me laugh for some reason
Old 12-15-2004, 11:44 AM

yeah, its definately zie batterie, I re-jumped this afternoon with a bit more time on my hands to work with and it started up after awhile, never really noticed before, but there is a huge build up of corrosion on the positive terminal, sept its like blue, not white at all really hehe
Old 12-15-2004, 01:33 PM
I never narc'd on nobody.

Originally Posted by Mmmaxx
yeah, its definately zie batterie, I re-jumped this afternoon with a bit more time on my hands to work with and it started up after awhile, never really noticed before, but there is a huge build up of corrosion on the positive terminal, sept its like blue, not white at all really hehe
i have the same problem, i clean it pretty frequently, but it always seems to come back even quicker. how do you guys recomend keeping those bloody crystals off?
Old 12-15-2004, 02:17 PM

coke.....

Some anti- corrosion spray will work
Old 12-15-2004, 04:42 PM

Use a brush and clean it all off.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:52 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I use the red and green anti corrosion washers. They cost a buck at car stores and work fine!