4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Advice on Reducing Droning Sound.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 06:28 AM

Advice on Reducing Droning Sound.

I could really use some advice. I recently installed a Stillen (intake, Y-pipe and cat-back system). I love the way my car starts up and how it sounds when at idle and when accelerating aggressively. However, this droning (I think that's what you would call it) noise at approximately 2000 RPM under light acceleration is way too loud. I would say it's 5 times louder than under heavy acceleration. I don't have an issue if I constantly have my foot to the floor but that just won't work in city driving.

I know the Stillen mid-pipe does not have a resonator. However, I've been given conflicting advice with respect to whether a resonator will help or not (i.e. with the droning sound). I've also been told that it's the muffler that needs to be replaced and not the mid-pipe.

Before spending any further money, I would love to get some good advice with others that have had this issue. My stock parts are all trashed now, so I would have to go out and purchase new parts to correct this problem.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:05 AM

Dude, get a resonator. It'll make all the difference.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:10 AM

Agreed -- that is what the resonator is for. Your exhaust will be somewhat quieter at all times and the droning should go away if you have the proper resonator installed.

BTW, you should be able to avoid buying new parts. A muffler shop can weld in a resonator to your existing B-pipe. Should be fairly inexpensive to do.
Old 12-17-2004, 08:55 AM

I dont know, I have a budget y and resonated B and a magnaflow muffler. I get the same droneing sound and its still loud as hell even with the resonator. Its especially loud at around 2.1 2.3 k but after that my intake drowns it out. When it drones my floorpan shakes it brutal. I cant imagne how bad it sounds on the outside.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:33 AM

Pimpmobile has a point and that's what I've been told (i.e. that a resonator may not help with the droning sound at approximately 2000 RPM). I'm not sure why but it may not. Before having to cut my brand new stainless steel mid-pipe to install a resonator, I just wanted to be sure this would fix the problem and am seeking advice. I'm not happy to hear that Pimpmobile still seems to have an issue. Pimpmobile, do you know what's causing the droning sound?

Is it the muffler? or the Y-pipe?

I'm surprised others are not having similar problems. If they are, I haven't read about them. I know the parts used make a big difference but I've got all Stillen parts (which I was told were good) and Pimpmobile's Budget Y pipe and Magnaflow muffler appear to be pretty common. Is this an isolated issue? or do others have similar problems?
Old 12-17-2004, 10:36 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Originally Posted by Pimpmobile
I dont know, I have a budget y and resonated B and a magnaflow muffler. I get the same droneing sound and its still loud as hell even with the resonator. Its especially loud at around 2.1 2.3 k but after that my intake drowns it out. When it drones my floorpan shakes it brutal. I cant imagne how bad it sounds on the outside.
Use the stock muffler. Its extremely quiet with the Budget y and resonated b pipes. Take off that crossmember bar by the b-pipe hanger if you still have it. I found it to transmit exhaust noises into the cabin. For the time I had that bar on the exhaust sounded really good but maybe ricey at 1800rpm but I knew that it would drive the wifey crazy. Oh well, I enjoyed it for that short time!
Old 12-17-2004, 11:15 AM

The inherint design of the magnaflow muffler produces alot of noise, its essentially just a expensive resonator. Also the fact that the whole system is 2.5" adds a lot more flow .: resonance. I had my stock muffler on before and it still droned at around 2k but not nearly as bad. If you dont mind to losse 3-5 whp then run a standard muffler or a "super quiet" verison or even source a motorcyle resonator and install that (what im hoping to do).
Old 12-17-2004, 11:22 AM

Sorry to seem selfish. But with the Stillen set-up that I have - I would hate to lose the muffler (considering the amount of money I spent on it and I just installed it). Do you guys think the addition of a resonator would decrease the droning noise at 2000 RPM.

And out of curiousity, why do we get the droning noise under light acceleration at 2000RPM. I'm still don't really understand that. It's quiet under heavy acceleration and at idle. Actually, even when it's parked and I step on the gas, there's no droning noise and it actually sounds great.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by NewMax96
Sorry to seem selfish. But with the Stillen set-up that I have - I would hate to lose the muffler (considering the amount of money I spent on it and I just installed it). Do you guys think the addition of a resonator would decrease the droning noise at 2000 RPM.
Expect to still have droning from the Stillen muffler but a resonator would definitetly help.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Get a res. Otherwise just grin and bear it.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:40 AM

O.k. Good. I just wanted to be sure that the resonator was going to make a difference with the Droning sound and based upon the feedback here, everyone seems to be in aggreement that the resonator will at least reduce the droning sound.

I would still love to know what exactly causes the droning sound. Anybody know?