4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Well, hell, what do I do now?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 03:18 PM

Well, hell, what do I do now?

I have a '95 Maxima GLE with the BOSE stereo, my front right speaker blew, it sounds like **** now. What can I do?

I know one option is to replace everything in the system, and I am expecting some money pretty soon... what kind of system could I build for 800-1000 dollars? Suggestions? Did I mention that this blown speaker sounds like ****?
Old 12-17-2004, 03:25 PM

wrong forum, there's Audio section for this stuff.
Please Move, kthnkxbi
Old 12-17-2004, 03:26 PM

If you don't want to spend the money on a new system, you might be able to buy a used replacment speaker. Lots of people have changed them out. Just a thought.

If you want a new system, there's a whole world full of options out there. Do you want satellite radio? What kind of music do you listen to? How loud do you want to play it? Any brand names you really like?
Old 12-17-2004, 03:37 PM

yea mine is blown in the right passenger speaker, but I will just go to the junk yard and grab out out and swap it in, shouldnt cost more than $30.

but if you want this could be a good time to take out all the speakers and get a nice thumping system in there, if you're going to do that, then let me know I would like to buy your speaker that is still working good. PM me.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:51 PM

its like $170 to rewire the system.buy some rockford 6 1/2" speakers ($120 ea pair) all around and a nice alpine or pioneer deck.($300-600) then maybe some BA or Kicker subs and amp.probably reach about $1000-$1200.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:23 AM

Some people still sell their old Blose speakers. They suck major *****. You cant use any others though unless you change the ENTIRE system. 1000 for an entire system isnt much, thats like Best Buy territory
Old 12-18-2004, 09:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Ant96GLE
Some people still sell their old Blose speakers. They suck major *****. You cant use any others though unless you change the ENTIRE system. 1000 for an entire system isnt much, thats like Best Buy territory
Hmm.... one of my front BOSE speakers is starting to crap out. I have a pair of JL Audio 6.5s sitting around and planned on sticking them in the front doors.... but I can't use them? Why aren't they compatible - head unit? wiring?
Old 12-18-2004, 09:20 AM

Because Bose uses their own amps with their speakers. Their headunit puts out literally no power. You would need an external source... ie an amp to run them. Your better off buying a new system.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:04 AM

The amp is probably underneath the front passenger seat, right? What's wrong with using aftermarket speakers on the BOSE wiring - won't that amp still power them?

Edit: My head unit and amp are fine, it's just a blown speaker. I don't see why everything would need to be replaced, unless its a compatibility issue (such as the BOSE speakers using different wiring than JL).
Old 12-18-2004, 10:08 AM

Hey, just curiosu - but doesn't BOSE have a lifetime warranty on their stuff? therefore, shouldn't they be able to replace it for free???

Thanks in advance -

* Sorry the newbie questioin*
Old 12-18-2004, 10:09 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If you want I still have a Bose front speaker that I pulled out of my car when I replaced everything, PM me if you want it.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:02 PM

if you like rap/hip hop/crunk music (lots of bass) go with infinity subs/speakers/and a alpine HU (or pioneer if you want to save some) and high powered multi-channel amp so you could really feel the boom. all this should run you just under a grand if you find the right deals.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by SolidSnake
The amp is probably underneath the front passenger seat, right? What's wrong with using aftermarket speakers on the BOSE wiring - won't that amp still power them?

Edit: My head unit and amp are fine, it's just a blown speaker. I don't see why everything would need to be replaced, unless its a compatibility issue (such as the BOSE speakers using different wiring than JL).
Man I wish that were the case

Blose uses a different format... each speaker has an amplifier connected on the back of it. Open your trunk and take a look at your rear speakers, see that big plastic cover they have? Thats the amplifier. Its the same for the front speakers. Blose system uses the Head Unit to just send a signal and then EACH speaker has an amplifier to amplify and play music. There is no other amplifier in the headunit either. The wiring you can still use, I used the original wiring in the car and it was fine.

Edit: In order to use your JL's you need another headunit... The Blose headunit has no power just a signal so no juice is going to go through those speakers. If you go that route, all you'll need is the new headunit and a wiring harness to have the new unit plug into the OEM one so you can use the same wiring in the doors. Its really not that complicated. Ask in the audio forum, those guys in there are good...

BTW.. yes I keep calling them Blose... they're garbage, I blew out 3 out of my 4 speakers to dust, my headunit would skip and half the buttons wouldnt work... it sucked!
Old 12-18-2004, 06:33 PM

Id say just replace them all, I never had the bose, I had crapfactory pioneer's and blew out the rear's. So i picked up some MB quart components for the front, and some rear 6.5's by MB also and they sound sweet. I just need to get an amp to them because im underpowering them off my pioneer deck.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Ant96GLE
Man I wish that were the case

Blose uses a different format... each speaker has an amplifier connected on the back of it. Open your trunk and take a look at your rear speakers, see that big plastic cover they have? Thats the amplifier. Its the same for the front speakers. Blose system uses the Head Unit to just send a signal and then EACH speaker has an amplifier to amplify and play music. There is no other amplifier in the headunit either. The wiring you can still use, I used the original wiring in the car and it was fine.

Edit: In order to use your JL's you need another headunit... The Blose headunit has no power just a signal so no juice is going to go through those speakers. If you go that route, all you'll need is the new headunit and a wiring harness to have the new unit plug into the OEM one so you can use the same wiring in the doors. Its really not that complicated. Ask in the audio forum, those guys in there are good...

BTW.. yes I keep calling them Blose... they're garbage, I blew out 3 out of my 4 speakers to dust, my headunit would skip and half the buttons wouldnt work... it sucked!
Damn... I assumed the system was powered the same way that it was in the 90-96 Z, which (IIRC) only had one amp under the pass seat. And our amps are actually a part of the speaker and can't be transferred? Bummer.... I like the clean factory look, and have had no problems with mine. Occassionally the CD player would read 'Err' when inserting a burned disc, but ejecting it once and trying again always fixed it.
Old 12-18-2004, 09:58 PM

what is a good amp to buy to give the stock speakers or aftermarket speakers a little more UMFF...
Old 12-19-2004, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by exit10
what is a good amp to buy to give the stock speakers or aftermarket speakers a little more UMFF...
...ask the guys in Audio/Video...
Old 12-19-2004, 03:48 PM
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake

the bose speakers are 1ohm resistance. normal speakers are 4ohm, thats why when you replace the headunits, you have to buy new speakers. but if it were a clarion headunit, it would play the stockers just fine.

i'd replaced my front speakers only if i were you. most people dont have rear fill. unless its for midbass. Adire Audio Koda 6.1's are on sale right now for $225 they are 6.5 components. or you can get a set of CDT EF61's for around $199.

i'd look into some soundstream amps for you. they are great speaking from personal experience.
i have the vga500.4 for my front stage, and a vga1600.2 for my Brahma.