4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Any reason a '95 shouldn't run high 15's stock?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2000, 08:30 PM

just wondering because i'm headed out to the track this weekend and have a grudge match my team against this other. i'm paired against a '97 civic ex coup with intake and an exhaust with a turbo at 2-6 psi. he says he's quick at 17's but my guess is he's lying to win a buck. anyways, just wondering. i have a '95 gxe auto with 75K miles.
Old 10-04-2000, 09:15 PM

NO

not an auto
well..not my auto that is...
btw
my 95 se auto stock vs 97+ stock has about extra 5 to 10 FWHP...on the same dynojet (i compared with 2 other 97 stock)
but...by golly....I don't think mine will get 15's....

Old 10-04-2000, 09:36 PM

from what i hear

and know is that stock auto runs 0-60 in 7.7 1/4 in 15.7 or something like that. manual is 6.7 and 15.2 respectively. a guy in town running a '96 se with leather had a greddy cat back and exhaust with a ghetto intake and ran 14.80's. supposively, '95 GXE five speed is the fastest 4th gen but i dunno for sure. i ran against a '92 laser turbo and was keeping up, actually ahead until his turbo kicked in. he can run 14.30's with his tires at 22 psi. 14.7's at street pressure. i can't explain the difference but i saw it myself. so maybe if i removed the back seat and spare and dropped my tires to like 27 or so and had a 1/4 tank, i should be around the 15.7 mark. i might pick up a drop in k&n for the race but since i'm getting an intake, it's a waste of money. anybody know how to make a ghetto *** one for temp usage?
Old 10-05-2000, 12:15 AM

I have a custom made intake...

remove the top box piece first (disconnect all the wires!)
then remove the bottom piece.
put your filter on the top piece, seal the sides with silicone glue ( i used this GE silicone II household glue)
Let it cure
then bolt the top piece back...oh yeah...just tie strap the
thermo sensor near the filter and cover up the top piece hole where the sensor used to sit in.
I think getting a K&N element for that actually helps because air flows more freely... (yeah I tried blowing air through my cone intake and the regular intake...the cone intake flows better)
thats all...
have fun
ps:quarter tank...umm need a bit more than that...if it is just straight line than you are ok I guess...remove all your carpet and all the stuff in your trunk....
that should save you like 50lb..
spray on that stuff that someone mentioned about for tire traction....I don't quite recall.

Old 10-05-2000, 01:06 AM

Not sure if I'm reading right....

But if he say's he's only running 17's with it turbo'd I'd definately say he's lying...shouldn't they run that or lower stock?

Originally posted by Romeo
just wondering because i'm headed out to the track this weekend and have a grudge match my team against this other. i'm paired against a '97 civic ex coup with intake and an exhaust with a turbo at 2-6 psi. he says he's quick at 17's but my guess is he's lying to win a buck. anyways, just wondering. i have a '95 gxe auto with 75K miles.
Old 10-05-2000, 01:06 AM

Not sure if I'm reading right....

But if he say's he's only running 17's with it turbo'd I'd definately say he's lying...shouldn't they run that or lower stock?

Old 10-05-2000, 06:54 AM

I know :)

Ok there let me help you out.. I have a 98 civic Ex turbo... running 5 PSI of boost I can beat a 96 Maxima GLE by about a car length and a half or more, to 75 MPH. I have an automatic civic too (never could drive those sticks) I have a Greddy turbo, cat back exhaust, Ignitions upgrade, Cam gear (timed for torque) I also carry a massive system in a custom made box and run on 16 inch wheels.
If he has his stock rims (hubcaps) on, Id watch it, Id bet you there is NO way that you can beat him. With those tiny 14inch wheels that car floats. Weight will make A LOT more difference in his car than in yours also. If he is stripping the car down might want to reconsider.

Also!!! By the way, the civic wont have a turbo and an intake at the same time The turbo pipes replace the intake in a turboed civic, so he is obviously pullin g your leg there Just thoguht youd like to know that

[Edited by aerostyle on 10-05-2000 at 10:17 AM]

Old 10-05-2000, 11:49 AM

GOOD LUCK BUDDY! Give him hell!!!.......

and win.
Old 10-05-2000, 12:29 PM
The missing moderator

Re: from what i hear

and know is that stock auto runs 0-60 in 7.7 1/4 in 15.7 or something like that. manual is 6.7 and 15.2 respectively. a guy in town running a '96 se with leather had a greddy cat back and exhaust with a ghetto intake and ran 14.80's. supposively, '95 GXE five speed is the fastest 4th gen but i dunno for sure. i ran against a '92 laser turbo and was keeping up, actually ahead until his turbo kicked in. he can run 14.30's with his tires at 22 psi. 14.7's at street pressure. i can't explain the difference but i saw it myself. so maybe if i removed the back seat and spare and dropped my tires to like 27 or so and had a 1/4 tank, i should be around the 15.7 mark. i might pick up a drop in k&n for the race but since i'm getting an intake, it's a waste of money. anybody know how to make a ghetto *** one for temp usage?
A stock autoi won't run high 15's... more than likely low low 16's. Those numbers you post are probably the best one time deal. taht 6.7 has never been repeated by any other magazine. So I would'nt count on it. As for the civic, hard to say... 2psi is bull****... no one runs 2psi. 6 psi, ok... standard kit pressue. I'd guess if he know what he was doing, he'd out run a stock maxima. If not, you would win.

-Shing
Old 10-05-2000, 12:39 PM

You'll probably run a 16.1 then on your last attempt-->>

of the day you may run a 15.9. I still think you'll beat the civic. Make sure you have ~ 1/4 tank of gas when you run.
Old 10-05-2000, 04:33 PM

ALSO!! ONE MORE THING...

where do you live?
Is it humid and hot?
Temperature affects this engine dramatically.
I live in the southeast and we recently have a cold spell.
That being temperatures in the 50's.
The car fly's!
Easy 1 to 1.5 second improvement.
If I push it maybe more but the wife never approves.
And yes please have 1/4 tank or less. Weight is crucial.
God speed.
Old 10-05-2000, 05:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

watch out..

a turbo civic is a fast car. a supercharged civic is fast too. and a nitrous civic will do mid 13's. you will at least have to strip out all your seats, and empty the trunk, run on empty with 100 sunoco octane with a 7 point octane booster from nos, when nobody is looking pour it in your tank. lower your tire pressure to 25 lbs. and do a burnout. then stage ,take off when u see the last yellow, don't worry you won't redlight.(you shouldn't)redline every gear or you will loose time. trust me.even first gear(this will give you a good 0-60, any slower and you will have a slow time. by the way a civic with a integra engine will run 15's. a lot of these guys switch engines around, and put a turbo on, and my guess would be low 15's or mid to high 14's. but dunno really. it could be close since you have a 6 cylinder.i seen a guy run a tube straight out to his headlight for a intake on his max. no filter.just some ideas to help, sorry if i am getting on your nerves.
Old 10-06-2000, 01:41 AM

ok, lemme see here

he's running on aftermarket rims, looks like 15's, exhaust and a turbo. it's at a non-upgradable 2 psi. i don't get it either so don't say anything. my friend's lazer runniing on street tire pressure smoked him by 4 car lengths or so and my guess is was running a 14.8 or so.

as for my car running a 16.1 stock, that might be more accurate since my car does not feel like a 15 second car. i'm taking out the spare and the backseat and will run a 92 octane (highest available) and put in an additive. most likely my passenger seat and just about anything else i can get out will go. i'll run at a 25 psi. i'm going to do the 1-2-D shift and use an e-brake torque. i thought about going on my old 15" wheels so i can light them up better but too much hassel.

i might also try the ghetto intake thing and see if that will work. my just worried it'll do the same thing my friend did when just ran with out a filter to sound cool.

thanks for the tips.

as for a civic with a gsr engine, i saw a '98 hatchback run 14.80's dry and 14.3 on nos