4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

New Aftermarket Mid pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 01:06 PM
Hella internets

New Aftermarket Mid pipe?

I was wondering, if they frankencar midpipes show no gains over stock mid-pipes, why not have a new and improved midpipe designed? Maybe something along the lines of the "reservour" like box on the stock intake. Would it be easy to make something like that? Maybe possibly improve on the stock design to actually have a non CAI that shows gains over stock?

Any thoughts?
Old 12-21-2004, 01:39 PM
Hooooooonda.....

All a box on the intake would do is maybe improve torque. The stock setup uses the box under the battery tray as storage for air to have "on demand" pick up. That's how I see it at least. A box would sort of act like that I guess. I guess I can try it since I've been trying to make my intake for months. It's cold as hell though and I don't want to move the battery to the trunk again cause of cold starts.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:46 PM
Hella internets

Well im mostly just talking about the Mid-pipe. Not all the other CAI like scoops and stuff that Nissan designed. Im talking about the mid-pipe, and the midpipe alone. The aftermarket midpipes have shown losses instead of gains mainly becuase that boxish reservour helps prevent turbulence in the manifold somehow. I am talking about re creating a mid-pipe that would not only improve the sound of the car (like the frankencar does but with no gains) but also be an improvement over stock. This would also be a usefull item for people that spray, instead of using a midpipe that has no gains (actually losses) to drill their wet or dry jets into they can have an improvment over the stock design and have the durability of an aluminum design or some sort instead of settling for the stock plastic housing to recieve the same regular gains.

Make sense?
Old 12-21-2004, 02:35 PM
This is a democracy

sounds good, get to work!
Old 12-21-2004, 03:19 PM
Hella internets

I will see if i can design something ghetto and see if it works out.

Anyone that has some ideas or thoughts on what i can use for this project. PLEASE let me know..
Old 12-21-2004, 03:26 PM
This is a democracy

i thought the ridges in the midpipe did something too, or maybe that was just for the sound... dont remeber
Old 12-21-2004, 03:32 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

If you could design it with an attached resevoir of the same volume as the OEM square box, then it would have nearly the same shape torque curve as the OEM setup.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by mzmtg
If you could design it with an attached resevoir of the same volume as the OEM square box, then it would have nearly the same shape torque curve as the OEM setup.
hmmm.... but would the fact that the midpipe being made of aluminum instead of plastic have any affect? Doesn't the aluminum pipe heat up more than the stock plastic resonator/reservoir? Plus, u'd still have the air flow turbulence, which would be creating heat inside the midpipe anyways.

I think that accordian (sp?) thingy helps to smooth out air flow, while the reservior box provides air on demand for quick throttle response.

IMO, the nerds at Nissan knew what they were doing in the first place.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:59 PM
Hella internets

Yea. well now im a nerd trying to improve on it.. lol

I guess aluminum isnt a good material to use. i will come up with something...

The thing is, i understand making it the same volume, but how would it work to possibly improve the flow of it? make the volume smaller? bigger? different shape (maybe like the shape of a pear )

Any MORE ideas? hehe (btw thanks for all the info.. so far)
Old 12-24-2004, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by XeroX
Yea. well now im a nerd trying to improve on it.. lol

I guess aluminum isnt a good material to use. i will come up with something...

The thing is, i understand making it the same volume, but how would it work to possibly improve the flow of it? make the volume smaller? bigger? different shape (maybe like the shape of a pear )

Any MORE ideas? hehe (btw thanks for all the info.. so far)
I think the shape of it has a lot to do with it. Look at how funny looking the stock intake setup is! Obviously the guys at Nissan were thinkin somethin.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:50 AM
Kevlo for President

Use tupperware
Old 12-24-2004, 12:34 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

who cares to go through all this time, work and money to get a .2 HP increase. i am moving back to my stock one, and i will leave this worthless mod up to everyone eles. mid pip does nothing but create noise.....