4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

parking brake boot question

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2001, 10:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have a silver carbon fiber Razo parking brake. It looks really nice and match perfectly with my Razo auto shifter. However, the Razo parking brake wasn't a perfect fit for the Maxima. It was made for Honda/Acura. My problem now is that the parking brake boot doesn't seem to fit perfect with the parking brake. The boot tend to slip down a bit. I pulled the boot over the end of the handle a bit so it fit and look better. Anyway, after awhile, the boot slide back down a bit. I usually pull up my parking brake when I park and release it when I head out. That might be another reason why the boot is loose because I use the parking brake often. The stock parking brake held onto the boot nicely, it was a tight/perfect fit. Anyway, anyone know how I can keep the darn boot up?
Old 04-23-2001, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by Cumalot
I have a silver carbon fiber Razo parking brake. It looks really nice and match perfectly with my Razo auto shifter. However, the Razo parking brake wasn't a perfect fit for the Maxima. It was made for Honda/Acura. My problem now is that the parking brake boot doesn't seem to fit perfect with the parking brake. The boot tend to slip down a bit. I pulled the boot over the end of the handle a bit so it fit and look better. Anyway, after awhile, the boot slide back down a bit. I usually pull up my parking brake when I park and release it when I head out. That might be another reason why the boot is loose because I use the parking brake often. The stock parking brake held onto the boot nicely, it was a tight/perfect fit. Anyway, anyone know how I can keep the darn boot up?
Perhaps you could use an adhesive such as RTV Silicone, Welder, Shoe Goo, etc. You want something which will remain flexible after it is cured. Epoxy is not the right product for this repair.
Old 04-23-2001, 10:37 AM

heres what i did.

i cut my stock shifter and the boot around that kept slipping down because it had nothing to grab around so i wrapped a generous amount of electrical tape around the actual stick to hold the boot up, this worked and hasnt given me any problems.
Old 04-23-2001, 11:45 AM

I used a piece of double-sided sticky tape for the boot to stay in the handle groove. It works perfect to me. Before I did that I found it was not that easy for the boot to slide down, but it was a little too loose, and once in a while it slid down.
Old 04-23-2001, 12:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

All are good ideas. Thanks guys. I'll try them them all and see what works.