4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

tint

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 05:44 PM
Team Ramrod

tint

i had my car tinted last thursday, i had 35% done to the rear windshield and the 4 windows. my friend told me i should get a sticker just incase a cop decides to give me **** about it. im not sure the name of the sticker, i think maybe a UV protection sticker or something. well its supposed to make it legal for me to have tint... the only place i can get it around RI is at an optomotrist, so u hafta actually have a real medical excuse. does anybody know where else i can get one? cuz theres no way i would get one from an optomotrist. sorry this was so long to ask a simple question
thanks
Old 01-03-2005, 05:46 PM

do it eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeebbbbbbbbay!! yea
Old 01-03-2005, 05:54 PM

yeah, there was a discussion about this a long time ago... ppl thought they could go get a paper signed by a doctor permitting them darker tint... im sure some people did because of their friends, but i think it'd be easier said than done... but no, i don't know where... sorry
Old 01-03-2005, 05:55 PM

im sure you could be able to get a paper allowing you to smoke trees with that tint too paper too. h no's:
Old 01-03-2005, 06:03 PM

In NY you can get the sticker two ways that I know of.

One way is to get a doctor to test you and give you a letter but that will in turn put a restriction on your license. So you can't use a friend because the restriction will then be put on your friends license, not yours.

The other way is to get it tested by a local police department or other facility and if within legal limits, you get the sticker. If it's not in the limits, you have to take it off on the spot.

I would just drive around and risk it. 35% is not that dark and you can still be seen relatively easily. You shouldn't attract too much attention.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:07 PM

if you get pulled over i had 2 options they present you a ticket, and tell you you have to pay the fine or you will have to have the ticket signed by the place that removed the tint and you dont have to pay the ticket....either way its up too you, I had it removed and the guy put it back on at half price lol...
Old 01-03-2005, 06:14 PM
Team Ramrod

Originally Posted by Igobuk
In NY you can get the sticker two ways that I know of.

One way is to get a doctor to test you and give you a letter but that will in turn put a restriction on your license. So you can't use a friend because the restriction will then be put on your friends license, not yours.

The other way is to get it tested by a local police department or other facility and if within legal limits, you get the sticker. If it's not in the limits, you have to take it off on the spot.

I would just drive around and risk it. 35% is not that dark and you can still be seen relatively easily. You shouldn't attract too much attention.
what do they do when you get it tested by a local police department?
Old 01-03-2005, 06:16 PM

they have a UV meter they slide it over your window, its 2 sided, then shine a light on it and the meter on the other side shows the percent of light that comes through...and determines what % tint you have
Old 01-03-2005, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by JaMdMax97
they have a UV meter they slide it over your window, its 2 sided, then shine a light on it and the meter on the other side shows the percent of light that comes through...and determines what % tint you have
so they cant give u a ticket if ur car is parked on the street? 'cause then they wouldnt be able to use their uv meter right??
Old 01-03-2005, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by AntLis97
so they cant give u a ticket if ur car is parked on the street? 'cause then they wouldnt be able to use their uv meter right??
No, they won't ticket a parked car for tint. They need the driver because it's a traffic violation... not a parking violation.

And who knows, you may have a valid reason for having the dark tint, they'd need to verify that if one existed.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:47 PM

its a good thing i asked 'cause i was always afraid ill come back to my car and see ticket for tints there...thanx a lot for the info
Old 01-04-2005, 03:33 AM
Team Ramrod

Originally Posted by JaMdMax97
so in other words, if i was to do that, it would do me no good, seeing as tint in RI is illegal
Old 01-04-2005, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by enjoyincubus504
so in other words, if i was to do that, it would do me no good, seeing as tint in RI is illegal
Tint in RI is not illegal, just requires very light tinting. 70% is the limit, so right now you're at double the limit. And since most cars come with a very light tint from factory to give the glass a slight bluish color, even if you got 70% tint, the factory tinting of the glass would put you over.

I've seen 50% tint and that looks clear to me. 70% is not even worth tinting. Below is the link to all tint laws for the 50 states if you wanna look.

http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/Law_Chart/S...aw%20Chart.htm
Old 01-04-2005, 06:24 PM
JSMEXUSA

I did mine 35% and for me is very light; when get some money will change to 20% and will try to do what I did last time; asked my dr. to write me a little prescription saying you have problems with sunlight on your skin or your eyes, then fill out the motor vehicles aplication requesting a tint exempt; first try failed, so had to go back to dr and gave me another prescription and finally got a permission. That was about 10 years ago and just remembered after my tint was done a couple months ago; I am happy with it but will be happier with 20%. Will call MV this week and check about it, going to see dr next week as well; so, if I get it will put 20%. Most of the time when cops pull you over for something else, they give you ticket for the tint; very rare to stop you just for tint. But you should be good with 35%.

Old 01-04-2005, 06:25 PM
Team Ramrod

Originally Posted by Igobuk
Tint in RI is not illegal, just requires very light tinting. 70% is the limit, so right now you're at double the limit. And since most cars come with a very light tint from factory to give the glass a slight bluish color, even if you got 70% tint, the factory tinting of the glass would put you over.

I've seen 50% tint and that looks clear to me. 70% is not even worth tinting. Below is the link to all tint laws for the 50 states if you wanna look.

http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/Law_Chart/S...aw%20Chart.htm
i dont have a site, but it has since then been revised, since a police officer was shot and killed by a person with tinted windows. thats the word on the street anyway
Old 01-04-2005, 06:31 PM
JSMEXUSA

My advise if you have dark tint and get pull over, roll down all 4 windows down, so the cops can see everything inside the car; most of the time works and even sometimes very few cops say thanks for that, at the same time you may avoid the ticket for tint.

Old 01-04-2005, 06:36 PM
Back from the dead

not only in this situation, but in any, be good to the cop, and he will be good to you. cops are people too! their just people with power to take all your money
Old 01-04-2005, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by RockfordMax
their just people with power to take all your money
oh yea because its going into their pockets

Its pretty sad how far you would go for some light tint, I mean lets be real if your gonna go all out and LIE and say you have a vision problem and get a restricted license, make it worth your while and get like 5% tint... otherwise... enjoy all that work for nothing. Your still going to get pulled over
Old 01-05-2005, 03:38 AM
Team Ramrod

Originally Posted by Ant96GLE
oh yea because its going into their pockets

Its pretty sad how far you would go for some light tint, I mean lets be real if your gonna go all out and LIE and say you have a vision problem and get a restricted license, make it worth your while and get like 5% tint... otherwise... enjoy all that work for nothing. Your still going to get pulled over
no ****, i just found out that the place i got it tinted at doesnt give out the permits anymore