4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

CEL 0101 (camshaft position sensor): need some knowledgeable advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 03:11 PM
eturnl

CEL 0101 (camshaft position sensor): need some knowledgeable advice

For the past couple of days my car has been taking time to start, instead of starting immediately, it would crank for like 3seconds (count it, thats a long time!) then finally start.

I figured it maybe a fuel/ignition problem so yesterday I got the chevron techron fuel system cleaner. (I use it occasionally) filled up my tank, drove about 20miles then about 4hrs later I drove again for about 10miles; and as I was driving I noticed my CEL was on (first time ever since I’ve owned the vehicle Jan04) I was convinced it was my O2 sensors b/c I’ve heard that sometimes fuel system cleaners cause O2 sensor failure. Surprisingly though when I checked the codes, immediately after I parked, it turned out to be the camshaft position sensor! Anyway I reset the ECU and figured the CEL would just come back on. I turned the car back on and the light was out. gave it a little gas, and the light came on momentarily and then went out. Every time I revved to about 2000-3000rpm it would come on then go out after I let off the gas! After about 2min of this, I just turned it off and left it alone for a few hours. As I was leaving to go home (about 25mile drive) the light never came back on. Today, the light is still off. ECU code gives 0505 (no problems) car starts immediately most of the time, but some times it takes a couple of seconds. Car runs smoothly, always did, but sometimes the starts take longer than they should. The main reason I’m concerned about this is because I’ve never had problems due to proper maintenance, and I want to take care of anything that be a potential problem.

My questions are: does the ECU register the problems immediately after a reset, if it indicated code 0101, why didn’t it come back after a reset? Could the techron fuel system cleaner have any effect on this? Is my CAS actually faulty? Should I change my CAS? I would like some good advice from fellow members. Thanks fellas!

Incase anyone is curious:
mileage: 128k
fuel: 93 octane (shell and chevron only)

Old 01-08-2005, 03:52 PM

Just so you know, you dont have to replace the Cam sensor. You can take it out and clean it. The magnets on it pick up metal shavings so it cannot configure itself properly.

The ECU uses the Cam and Crank sensors at start up to know at what position/angle they are in the engine. If they are dirty or bad your car will start hard or bad... as is your case. I really wouldnt worry about it to be honest, I'd clean it out and reset the ECU. It probably triggered it because it was really dirty and somehow managed to barely get a signal out.
Old 01-08-2005, 04:30 PM
eturnl

I had already took it out to look at it, but it seemed clean, had oil all over but pretty much clean. i wiped it off nontheless and put back in, im just waiting/wondering if the light is going come back on.

Old 01-08-2005, 04:44 PM

It may or may not, if it comes back then you know you definately have to replace it. If it has not come back on after you cleaned it, then your good to go.