4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

so a dumpster rolled into my bumper!(long&summary)advice on bumper and estimate ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 10:03 PM
Custom User Title...

so a dumpster rolled into my bumper!(long&summary)advice on bumper and estimate ?'s

well here's the story:
i was parked out back of my work and i came out to see a dumpster was resting against my front end. it was a bfi dumpster, about 2/3 the size of my car, on wheels that had no locks. it was windy out that day and we just put 2 & 2 together to figure out it somehow blew across the parking lot and rolled into my car. my work is in a plaza with 2 other businesses and the dumpster belongs to the middle business, mine is on the side. basically, my boss is also a cop and he told me we'd work it out and it would be taken care of after the holiday. this happened on Dec. 23rd right before everyone went home for the holiday weekend.

currently, i just called my insurance because i just got the info for the dumpster company's corporate office and the verizon store's corporate office. i spoke with both companies and they are pointing the blame/responsibility to the other. that is why i finally called my insurance because neither seems to want to admit fault. the manager of verizon promised me he'd get to the bottum of it so i'm confident someone will pay. i'm getting an estimate tomorrow so i'll update then.

the damage done is mainly cosmetic. my bumper has pretty significant paint scratched/chipped off it. ~roughly 8"x2.5"s...the very edge of my hood also has a slight crease in it now too from the dumpster. (i think one headlight is slightly out of aim now too but i guess i could adjust that myself)

i'd like to get a 97 bumper and i already have the grille. my question is, i've read many times on the org about people using aftermarket bumper covers, some complain some do not...would you recomend against them and getting oem, or are aftermarket ok? if they're going to pay for it, i'll try to push for oem but i was hoping i could maybe get aftermarket to keep the costs down if they write me a check. either way, this is gonna be expensive because of my qno pearl white color. i'll have to stress that to the estimate guy tomorrow.

i don't know what to do about the hood. the damage is barely noticable at all, but i still did and it is not how my hood was before the accident. i'm not sure if it would be able to be repaired or not because of the awkward location of it. so, i'm not really sure if i should bother with this or not. i'll try to get pics up soon if anyone cares. realistically, if i had to pay and was SOL, i wouldn't bother, but i don't think i should have to allow damage to my bumper and not hold anyone accountable. the dumpster should have been secured and had locks on the wheels...it wasn't my fault. thanks for the long read!

summary: dumpster on wheels (not secured) rolled into my front end. bumper is cosmetically damaged. hood has slight crease on edge about 3/4" up, not major but i noticed it. are aftermarket bumpers ok or should i really push for oem? going to try to switch to 97-99 bumper. any advice on what to say to guy during estimate(demand oem and stress 3 stage $)??
Old 01-12-2005, 10:18 PM
sunten1

Old 01-13-2005, 05:37 AM
ChristheNite

bump for a friend

Old 01-13-2005, 03:30 PM
Custom User Title...

well no one has any input? surely someone with qno has repainted. just trying to get idea on their cost. i'm waiting for the estimate/appraisal stuff in the mail, had it looked at today but the guy said he'd have to put it into the computer to compute prices.

i'll have to make a f/s thread soon too selling my fog lights if i change bumpers. pm me if anyone is interested in them.

maybe i'll get the grill painted all white too...i've always wanted that and now is my chance. i know the guy jeremiah from ct has his painted like that, anyone else?
Old 01-13-2005, 03:35 PM
sunten1