4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How can you tell when your transmission is slipping?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2001, 06:06 AM

I have an auto 98 SE, and I have started to notice that every once in a while, under light acceleration, the transmission when falling into overdrive seems to slip. Just before it wants to change into overdrive the rpms jump 100-150 before it actually engages into the gear. I have only started to notice this since I added a popcharger intake and can hear the engine wanting to change. The only time I notice this possible slip is when the gear change occurs at 2000 rpm. Is this my transmission slipping and the start of a major problem, or is this normal operation and nothing to worry about? I have 100 miles left on the 50,000 mile engine and tranny warranty, so a prompt answer is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-25-2001, 11:54 PM
Former Sponsor

I think it is slipping

Originally posted by 98sterlingmist
I have an auto 98 SE, and I have started to notice that every once in a while, under light acceleration, the transmission when falling into overdrive seems to slip. Just before it wants to change into overdrive the rpms jump 100-150 before it actually engages into the gear. I have only started to notice this since I added a popcharger intake and can hear the engine wanting to change. The only time I notice this possible slip is when the gear change occurs at 2000 rpm. Is this my transmission slipping and the start of a major problem, or is this normal operation and nothing to worry about? I have 100 miles left on the 50,000 mile engine and tranny warranty, so a prompt answer is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I've never had that happen to me, so I think you should take your car to the dealer ASAP.

Good luck!!!
Old 04-26-2001, 10:21 AM

Actually, EVERY transmission has this trait. I don't think it is a problem. Under light acceleration, each upshift is preceeded with a slight jump in RPM (it is like you say, 100-150 RPM). This is a method used by manufacturers to smooth out the upshifts (usually done by coordinating a slight engine timing retardation at the moment of the shift). Since you only notice it under light acceration (2000 RPM shifts), this is completely normal. If your transmission is slipping badly, the symptoms will be worse at high RPMS (I bet shifts actually get crisper on higher RPMS in your case, which would be normal).

A sure way to tell that your transmission is slipping is if you are in gear you step on the gas, the RPMs rise, and your car does not move. It will feel like wheelspin, but your wheels won't be moving (or moving VERY slowly).

Old 04-26-2001, 10:22 AM

Actually, the powertrain warranty is 5 years/ 60,000 miles, not 50,000 miles.

Old 04-26-2001, 03:42 PM

i have a Q

do 5spd's slip too or is it just autos?
Old 04-26-2001, 04:05 PM

Re: i have a Q

Originally posted by _DRU_
do 5spd's slip too or is it just autos?
For 5spds, you will usually hear people talking about the "clutch slipping"... Not the actual transmission gears themselves. Most of the time with 5spds, the syncros can go bad, making the manual "grind" when going in to certain gears at certain speeds. Autos have internal clutches (alot of em usually), and those are what start to slip in em.

And for the autos, when they start slipping: It is usually during the upshifts, and usually sounds and feels like the car is going up hill... You will hears the RPMs climbing, but the car won't be pulling...

I should know, I used to have a 5.0 Mustang Auto, and before I beefed up the internal clutches, my upshifts were slipping... Damn I pounded on that car...

Good luck...
Old 04-26-2001, 10:01 PM
maxmze

auto tranny with sc

I have a 96 auto with supercahrger and my car does this all the tieme for the past month. The rpms will go up but the car wont go nowhere. I upgraded to a level ten valvebody and torque converter but its doing the same thing. in other words the charger doesnt hit either it just boosts up rpms. Is this a tranny slippage problem or what?? PLEAASE HELP!!!!!! SOmeimes the rpms stick as well.

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Old 04-26-2001, 10:34 PM

well guys

same thing happen to me, my 2nd to 3rd shift car felt like it went in neutral and went up a like 2k rpm then the gear catched. conclusion yur trannt is f****. maxmaze explain the rpm stick?. basically wht u need to do is rebuild the tranny. my cars on fricken jack stands (taken everything off my car and fixin it), tranny at friends dad garage and hes gonna crack it open on monday and will find out whats the prob. he said the electronic tranny goes out quick espically if u drive hard or runnin boost. i want to spend some extra $$ and see if i can get some performance stuff in the tranny (whatever that is)think they gonna moddify the vb and will see wht eles we can think. rebuild not tht expensive at least for me probally like 200-300 parts oem nissan and 300 bux labor hopefully. ill keep u guys postin cause i can talk to these guys and they know their stuff. and wtf up with redline stuff i order 11 quarts 94 bux ahhhh!!! o yea going to pepboys tommorow whts the biggest tranny cooler i can run in my car??
Old 04-27-2001, 09:23 AM
BlkCat

Maxmze...

I get that too! When I stomp it the revs jump up to redline and then the tranny decides to join in! I think this must be common with SC'ed auto trannys. If your Level 10 upgrade didn't help I wonder if Don's VB mod upgrade would help in this area?

Old 04-27-2001, 10:40 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

In OEM auto tranny's there is a tendency for this to happen--it's not slipping, but it's not sure what gear to go into. Even my '89 accord did this. For example, when getting off the highway on a curvy exit ramp, you may want to accelerate a LITTLE after decelerating a lot, and the tranny is unsure of where to go because of the RPM level etc. I don't htink it's slipping, but get someone you trust to check it out.
Old 04-27-2001, 12:52 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Umm, my car is still hesitating like that and the tranny is rebuilt...

My tranny died at 86k miles, I have almost 102k now and the tranny has been doing that "slipping" thing, or hesitation between gears for a while now, sometimes it's really bad, I can feel and hear it bang into gear, but like Eric described, if you press on the pedal, RPMs go up and the car doesn't accelerate or respond, it can very well be your tranny having trouble getting into gear.... Before mine died it did that all the time, i looked like a very bad stick driver with all the hesitation and missing, car jerking really bad on some Decent throttle acceleration..
Old 04-27-2001, 11:46 PM
maxmze

Re: Umm, my car is still hesitating like that and the tranny is rebuilt...

Guys,
with all this tranny problems i have a useless s/c. it dosnt do ****. it revs and boosts up but the car doesnt go anywhere. ive also got the lvel ten vb, torque convertor, and stillen tranny cooler.

HELPPPPPPPPP((((((((((((((

Old 04-27-2001, 11:53 PM
maxmze

HEY MARTIN PLS HELPPPPP

Originally posted by maxmze
Guys,
with all this tranny problems i have a useless s/c. it dosnt do ****. it revs and boosts up but the car doesnt go anywhere. ive also got the lvel ten vb, torque convertor, and stillen tranny cooler.

Old 04-27-2001, 11:55 PM
maxmze

HEY MARTIN PLS HELPPPPP

Guys,

HELPPPPPPPPP(((((((((((((( [/B][/QUOTE]

Old 04-28-2001, 09:06 AM

Re: HEY MARTIN PLS HELPPPPP

Guys,

If your engine gains speed rapidly but the vehicle doesn't, there is a transmission problem.

1) The transmission "thinks" it is in neutral.
There is a defect outside the tranny. A defect in the shifter, linkage, or motor mounts has shifted the tranny into neutral even though you didn't touch the shifter.

2) The transmission is slipping.
There is a defect inside the tranny, and it requires significant repairs. The aftermarket valve body assembly, torque converter, and ATF cooler are helpful but do not guarantee long transmission life.

There are several tests you can make with the fluid on the automatic transmission dipstick.

1) Level. It should be up to the full mark. If not, add as required.

2) Color. It should be bright red and translucent. A brown or black color is a sign of fluid degraded by excessive heat, and/or worn friction materials. A minty pink color is a sign of water contamination.

3) Odor. It should have a clean oily smell. A burned odor is a sign of fluid degraded by excessive heat.

4) Feel. Wipe the dipstick with your fingers and then rub your fingers together. It should be smooth and slippery. A "gritty" feeling is a sign of worn friction materials.

Sometimes the service life of a transmission can be extended by changing the fluid. Automatic transmission fluid is loaded with detergents, so new fluid can clean the insides of the transmission. If you decide to do this, find a shop that uses the Magic Sucker Pump which removes -all- of the old fluid. An ordinary drain-and-refill changes only about half of the fluid.
Old 05-12-2001, 04:51 PM

Re: HEY MARTIN PLS HELPPPPP

Guys,

[/B][/QUOTE]
Andy, call me... i need the lugs and $$$....
its been over a month....
Old 05-12-2001, 09:20 PM
Maxima Princess

Originally posted by Eric L.
Actually, the powertrain warranty is 5 years/ 60,000 miles, not 50,000 miles.

My powertrain warranty is 100K miles
Old 05-12-2001, 09:57 PM

STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please, no more talk of tranny deaths, I can't take the thought of it. I get the shivers!