4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Emissions went straight to hell!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 08:55 AM

Emissions went straight to hell!

So its a long story......

Got the cattman headers installed, and I love them. They sound great, and the car has more low end pickup vs. Y pipe.

One thing I don't like is the header y pipe hangs lower than the previous y pipe leaving it vulnerable to road debris Especially since I'm lowered.
I also paired the new setup with a highflow cat.

Today I went and got my state and emissions inspection done. The guy was confused and insisted that my clearance lights were supposed to be amber, but they come stock with clears. He was trying to get me to buy amber bulbs, but I told him all 4th gen maximas come with white clearance lights. He disagreed but passed me anyway.

The exhaust was a big FAIL!

VA HC ppm Limit= 81 @15mph
my HC ppm Limit= 144 @15mph

VA NO ppm Limit= 647 @15mph
my NO ppm Limit= 1598 @15mph

VA HC ppm Limit= 78 @25mph
my HC ppm Limit= 128 @25mph

VA NO ppm Limit= 585 @25mph
my NO ppm Limit= 1441@25mph

About 3 days before this emissions test, I had gotten a CEL with 2 codes: 3 way catalyst/ and right bank 02 sensor.

I knew the 02 sensor was gonna go after the install cuz we used the same old one since we were waiting on the new one to come in.

Finally got the new o2 sensor installed and the CEL went off. No codes came up after that.

So I thought my car should bve ready for the emission test.

I am confused as to what it could be.

Is it the new headers? Is it the Highflow cat? I don't thinks its either of these.

Or is it that code for the egr system, even though the code went away?

My mechanic told me he highly doubts the cat did it, and hopes its not the headers. He believes that at 120,000 Miles the egr might have gone bad.

Does anyone else have a spin on this?
Old 01-24-2005, 08:59 AM
^ Jeff™

...aren't you removing the front cat by installing headers?

You could try doing a full clean tune-up. (seafoam...egr...all that jazz) Might help.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by MrEous
...aren't you removing the front cat by installing headers?

You could try doing a full clean tune-up. (seafoam...egr...all that jazz) Might help.
excuse my ingnorance, but what is seafoam? besides foam in the sea. I had a tune up when I got the car 2 years ago, you think its already time for another one?
Old 01-24-2005, 09:19 AM
^ Jeff™

Yeah...Probably a good idea to do a small tune-up.

Seafoam...is well...a cleaner for your intake. Directions are on the bottle. You'll want to run it through your brake booster.
http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm
Old 01-24-2005, 09:25 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Was the car driven around for a while before the test, as in up to full operating temp. Do you have a high flow cat or a test pipe. Just making sure.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:52 AM
SomePsychoGuy

The clearance light thing is stupid. As long as you have the stock amber bumper lights then you should be legal.

If you have headers/y pipe then you need to warm the car up so the cat is working. Go to another place or at least make sure it is not the same guy.

What codes did you get? You might need to replace the O2 sensors.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Did the code go away by itself after the O2 change? Or did you have to reset.

It's probably not related because it looks like you actually "failed" the test. But in my case, I reset the ECU right before the test to get rid of a VSS code (which shouldn't effect emissions anyway, but they won't test when a code is present). Anyway, my test failed because half of the readings came back "not ready." I've heard that the car needs anywhere from 50 miles to 2 weeks before the ECU is ready.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:52 AM

Damn, it might be a combo of the header and high flow cat, I havent heard of anyone with a high flow cat pass emissions, but hopefully I'm wrong, but in stock headers arent there some pre cats in it as well that help with emission, by getting after market headers I'm sure those are no longer present allowing a morepoluted exhaust to flow thru, and if your high flow cat isnt cleaning as much as it should be then you'll be one smoky Max on the road.

Originally Posted by NetFurie
I've heard that the car needs anywhere from 50 miles to 2 weeks before the ECU is ready.
i was told abouty 200 miles of driving should allow the ecu to go thru its cycle again, and display any codes if any after a reset.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:34 PM

I have a highflow cat not a test pipe. And yes I did run it for more than 30 minutes before letting the guy drive it in for inspection.

The stock headers have precats, which are only for cold motor emissions, which shouldn't have made a difference since my car was already warm.

The highflow cat should still clean as much as the stock one.

The CEL only gave one code at the shop but 2 days before it gave 2. The EGR code went away when I went to the shop to replace the O2 sensor.

The only code showing was for the O2 sensor, which we reset after the repair, and the light hasn't come back on since then.

I still failed the emissions test with flying colors.

My exhaust ojnly makes white smoke and vapor. There are no black or blue smoke clouds at all.

I'm thinking that the EGR is F'd even though the CEL is not on.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:16 PM
SomePsychoGuy

The stock cat is basically a high flow cat. The pre-cats that came in the stock y pipe and in the front exhaust manifold of 99+ Cali specs is used only for the car's warm up. A normal cat needs to be at a high temperature to operate properly. Once your high flow cat is warmed up is should pass. Drive your car around for a while, get any codes fixed and you should be good to go.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:27 PM
Hooooooonda.....

There is probably no aftermarket cat in the world that "filters" half as good as the stocker. The stocker costs $800 while the aftermarket one is $100, the honeycomb inside the stock one is 10x better than any aftermarket one.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:46 PM

iam intrested on finding out how oTranscendental lowers his emisson problems. I never knew Va had Emission test besides a visual inspection
Old 01-24-2005, 08:06 PM

reset the ecu again, and have the Exhaust Gas Recirculation system checked. then before you go to the emission test do some high load runs to get that cat nice and hot. a cold cat along with aftermaket headers is a sure fire way to fail emissions tests.

if i remember correct the factory headers are cast iron and retian a lot of heat within themselves and the exhaust flow. most aftermarket headers are tubular stainless steel, wich doesnt retain as much heat as the cast iron joints.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by NetFurie
Anyway, my test failed because half of the readings came back "not ready." I've heard that the car needs anywhere from 50 miles to 2 weeks before the ECU is ready.
I had this issue and it took about a month and a half for the ECU to finally say that enough of the monitors were ready to pass the test. I had failed due to 3 monitors saying "not ready", the limit in California is 2. The emissions with the y-pipe passed though . I put well over 1500 miles on it too. Hopefully I will not have to deal with that issue again.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:59 PM

Thanks for your input guys, I will have my mechanic check out the EGR soon, plus I'll have him look at the mass airflow meter. The emissions guy said my car was running lean. I always thought that running rich would be worse for emissions, but again I have learned something new.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:22 PM
Hooooooonda.....

If they plug into the OBD2 port on your car, you will fail if you reset the ECU within a few days before the emissions test, the monitors will not be ready.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:41 PM

I lived in va for years and I never had any kind of emissions. Still have va plates.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by vortechpower
I lived in va for years and I never had any kind of emissions. Still have va plates.

I think that might be because you live in a certain region.

For instance in Philadelphia they have emissions laws, but an hour north of philly, in allentown, you dont even need to have cats! cuz there are no emissions laws.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:54 PM

Update

I got my car tuned up,/ new fuel filter, new plugs, etc. Oil change w/ synthetic. Repaired minor exhaust leak. Replaced front O2 sensor.

I took the max in for the second emission test and FAILED again, this time I also failed my CO2 test.

All the results doubled instead of decreasing. I don't understand how My emissions got worse after being tuned up.

My EGR system has still not been diagnosed, but I will have to take it to a place with dyno rollers.

How did my emissions go up 2X? That blows my mind.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:00 AM
Hooooooonda.....

Did you "break" the parts/sensors in or did you go right after the install?
Old 01-30-2005, 09:46 AM

damn if you have your stock parts still, maybe put those back on and go again, if you pass then you know your parts are the result of your failing. And if you still fail atleast you know your mods arent the cause of you not passing.

I figured if doing a tune up+o2 sensors+KS+any other system cleaning, if that doesnt work. You cat is the only thing left.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by MDeezy
damn if you have your stock parts still, maybe put those back on and go again, if you pass then you know your parts are the result of your failing. And if you still fail atleast you know your mods arent the cause of you not passing.

I figured if doing a tune up+o2 sensors+KS+any other system cleaning, if that doesnt work. You cat is the only thing left.

Well, I just spent about 600 on putting the headers on, so those are staying on no matter what. I might take my brand new cat OFF, and put the old stock one back on with the bent flanges, and double gasket them to see if that works.

I might be able to get a waiver for my car after I have the EGR checked. Then I wont ever have to get my car inspected again.
If the total repair cost is over 620 and the emissions still fails, then the car will be waived for all emissions tests.

I know I already spent 500 for parts to fix it, so I'm going to test the egr and maybe get it fixed. If I still dont pass after that, I will be waived.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by oTranscendental
Well, I just spent about 600 on putting the headers on, so those are staying on no matter what. I might take my brand new cat OFF, and put the old stock one back on with the bent flanges, and double gasket them to see if that works.

I might be able to get a waiver for my car after I have the EGR checked. Then I wont ever have to get my car inspected again.
If the total repair cost is over 620 and the emissions still fails, then the car will be waived for all emissions tests.

I know I already spent 500 for parts to fix it, so I'm going to test the egr and maybe get it fixed. If I still dont pass after that, I will be waived.

Oh I thought you did all the installs yourself, yea that would be very expensive to have it all uninstalled after just puttin them on.

so you wont ever have to get emission testing, if you have eveything checked out and you still fail?
Old 01-30-2005, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by MDeezy
Oh I thought you did all the installs yourself, yea that would be very expensive to have it all uninstalled after just puttin them on.

so you wont ever have to get emission testing, if you have eveything checked out and you still fail?
Yup, Isn't that awesome? i can just get a straight thru instead of a cat and run it like that all the time.or i could buy a cutout and put it at the end of my header down tube.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:07 AM

If you live near a speed shop that sells Cam2 gasoline, get some. Its a pure racing fuel, very high octain. I don't understand the logic, but it lowers emmisons some how. Its about $4-5 a gallon, so get some and get ur tank fairly low b4 putting it in. It SHOULD lower your emmissions by roughly 10-20% from what i have been told.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:53 AM

well....that sucks man, i feel 4 ya! i'd get another receipt, and then file for a waiver. simplest, cheapest at this point...
Old 01-31-2005, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by thefed
well....that sucks man, i feel 4 ya! i'd get another receipt, and then file for a waiver. simplest, cheapest at this point...

thats for shizzle
Old 01-31-2005, 01:54 PM

Well i spoke to my mechanic and he said that he's going to speak to his boy about this whole mess and see if there is any more light to be shed.
He told me that my air filter was pretty dirty, so I will replace it with a new K&N to get rid of that POS ebay filter that came with my CAI.

From what he tells me, since my emissions all doubled, my car is actually running even better from a performance standpoint, but not so as far as passing emissions.

He told me that my new Hiflow Cat might be the source of my problems along with a dirty air filter. The cat is more of a problem than the filter.

There are two possibilities:
1: The cat is TOO highflow, and therefore not cleaning the unburned gas well enough.
2: although only two weeks old, the cat might be faulty, in which case I am screwed either way because I can't return used goods, nor can I pass emissions with it.

I wonder if I could claim that the cat was F'd and get a refund. probably not.

I'm not sure what size flange diameter to buy for the K&N. Does anyone know what size all those ebay CAI are? I think they are all the same. My guess is 3 in. inner diameter for the filter.
Someonw please help.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:41 PM

Who is the manufacturer of your high flow CAT? If its Cattman, you should bring it to Brian's attention if all suspicion is pointing in that direction.

Originally Posted by oTranscendental
Well i spoke to my mechanic and he said that he's going to speak to his boy about this whole mess and see if there is any more light to be shed.
He told me that my air filter was pretty dirty, so I will replace it with a new K&N to get rid of that POS ebay filter that came with my CAI.

From what he tells me, since my emissions all doubled, my car is actually running even better from a performance standpoint, but not so as far as passing emissions.

He told me that my new Hiflow Cat might be the source of my problems along with a dirty air filter. The cat is more of a problem than the filter.

There are two possibilities:
1: The cat is TOO highflow, and therefore not cleaning the unburned gas well enough.
2: although only two weeks old, the cat might be faulty, in which case I am screwed either way because I can't return used goods, nor can I pass emissions with it.

I wonder if I could claim that the cat was F'd and get a refund. probably not.

I'm not sure what size flange diameter to buy for the K&N. Does anyone know what size all those ebay CAI are? I think they are all the same. My guess is 3 in. inner diameter for the filter.
Someonw please help.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:19 AM
il massimi bassi

Originally Posted by 1996blackmax
I had this issue and it took about a month and a half for the ECU to finally say that enough of the monitors were ready to pass the test. I had failed due to 3 monitors saying "not ready", the limit in California is 2. The emissions with the y-pipe passed though . I put well over 1500 miles on it too. Hopefully I will not have to deal with that issue again.
I had an evap code and cleared the ECU codes and then I unhooked the battery overnight. If i am correct this will clear the "system readiness test as well". I drove less than 1 miles to the inspection station and my OBD test came back ok and I passed. Maybe i was lucky??? or maybe I am on to something??