4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Spoiler Brake light no working

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 05:10 PM

Spoiler Brake light no working

I have a spoiler that came with my 95 maxima and it has that skinny light that goes across it. It doesnt light up when i brake and i was wondering if anyone had any ideas of how it worked. Or how it was wired up and where the wires are that connect to it.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:30 PM

n/m...read your post wrong
Old 01-24-2005, 05:36 PM

welll....i guess i'll check back later
Old 09-27-2009, 02:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well,

I can't create a new thread because I am under the 15 post count I think.

I am having the same problem in this thread. My 3rd brake light on spoiler does not work.

I removed the trunk lid lining and took pics underneath. I don't know if this is what it is supposed to look like or not. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Crappy pics courtesy of HTC Touch Pro:
Right side of trunk:

Center of trunk lid:
Old 09-28-2009, 01:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Any help?
Old 09-29-2009, 04:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

NObody knows?
Old 09-29-2009, 06:24 PM
I need a truck

Originally Posted by nyclio
Center of trunk lid:
You had some wiring work done to your taillight wiring harness.

The spoiler is connected to the trunk lid in two spots with 2 nuts on either side, probably 12mm or 14mm.

In order to replace the spoiler brake light, you'll have to remove the spoiler, unscrew the old/broken brake light. Snake the new harness through the spoiler and screw the brake light back on.

Last edited by Conrad283; 09-29-2009 at 06:44 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:35 PM
I need a truck

Just went out to my car and peered into the trunk. I don't have a harness for my spoiler brake light. The harness that isn't hooked up to anything has a brown/yellow, green/yellow and a black wire going into a white harness.

Also, I couldn't tell for sure, but my current spoiler brake light wires are coming in from the right side and I didn't see a hole for them to pass through on the left.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:42 PM
I need a truck

I just realized that I have my old spoiler brake light (I was thinking about a custom spot for this). Anyway. The spoiler brake light has a green and a black wire coming out of it and those wires are maybe two inches, three max, and they feed into a black harness.

You'll still have to remove the spoiler to change out the brake light, because it's held in by three screws which are impossible to get to with the spoiler attached to the trunk.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:43 PM

i have almost the same problem but just some of the led is not working wonder how to fix it? pls help.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Conrad283
You'll still have to remove the spoiler to change out the brake light, because it's held in by three screws which are impossible to get to with the spoiler attached to the trunk.
I got my light off the spoiler a few years ago to fix the lights that were out WITHOUT removing the spoiler from the car. I used a Chapman offset ratchet set (Chapman #1316). The ratchet handle and phillips bit for the three screws fit perfectly between the screws and the trunk. Once the 3 screws are out, the LED assembly comes off the spoiler. Unplug the electrical connector, and then you can work on the light assembly.

I just carefully pried mine apart, soldered on a new resistor ( $.50 from Radio Shack) to replace the one that had obviously rusted away, and my LED's worked again. I used silicone sealant to glue the 2 plastic light assembly halves back together again. That was many years ago (it was such a simple and cheap repair I didn't bother to record it on my maintenance log), and my spoiler LED's are still working perfect.

$.50 sure beat the $180 - or something like that - the dealer wanted for a new LED assembly.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I would have started a new thread to ask this, but since I am new kid on the block and haven't made a first post yet, I came to this topic searching for my similar problem.

The rear spoiler light is not working, nor is my third brake light in the rear window. I checked all fuses in the car and all are good so not an issue there. Also, I have my driver's side rear left (corner) brake light which keeps burning out every few weeks. So, I am suspecting an electrical short, but not 100% sure.

Could it be possible that at least the Third break light and the spoiler light are wired on the same circuit or is it just coincidence that they are out at the same time?

To add another clue to the puzzle for me...The paint has all of a sudden started to peel starting with the clearcoat on the spoiler. This has allowed rain and moisture to eat away at it I am sure. I live in Oregon, where in the winter, it is the land of Rain!

I have a 96 Maxima GLE for a point of reference.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I was really hoping that someone could help here, but I guess the thread isn't too important anymore.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Anybody?
Old 01-27-2010, 05:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Why doesn't anyone not want to help???? Please?????
Old 01-28-2010, 09:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

You know, by the looks of this site, one would think that they would be able to get help with a basic question or at least a response, but apparently, this is not the case????

I feel like I have been patient enough waiting daily and yes maybe not towards the end, but at least giving by normal standards a fair amount of time for response. Do I have to keep posting to get my count up to the minimum 15 to get attention around here by posting a new thread????
Old 01-28-2010, 11:25 AM

Sir; you seem to be pretty ignorant on the rules here..

You need to Learn To SEARCH if you plan on staying on this site.

There is more than enough information here on the site to find the answer your looking for; that coupled with common sense and well, anythings possible...

You need the FSM or a Haynes or Chiltons manual; the Factory Service Manual is in a link in my sig... download it, unzip it, open it with a pdf reader and read.

You say you checked the fuses? well why not check the bulb in the rear light first, than while your at is check the wiring in the tail light as well as the power source to the spoiler light's; also the bulbs/leds in the spoiler just seem to like to go out.. Why dont you Search and Find the answers you seek about that as well?

http://forums.maxima.org/search.php
Old 08-19-2010, 02:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by nafddur
I just carefully pried mine apart, soldered on a new resistor ( $.50 from Radio Shack) to replace the one that had obviously rusted away, and my LED's worked again. I used silicone sealant to glue the 2 plastic light assembly halves back together again. That was many years ago (it was such a simple and cheap repair I didn't bother to record it on my maintenance log), and my spoiler LED's are still working perfect.
Here's my problem. I did exactly as above and it looks like the single resistor on top the LED bar (same side as the LEDs) is corroded. It is so corroded that I can't identify the resistor. Can anyone help?
Old 08-20-2010, 06:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by nafddur
I got my light off the spoiler a few years ago to fix the lights that were out WITHOUT removing the spoiler from the car. I used a Chapman offset ratchet set (Chapman #1316). The ratchet handle and phillips bit for the three screws fit perfectly between the screws and the trunk. Once the 3 screws are out, the LED assembly comes off the spoiler. Unplug the electrical connector, and then you can work on the light assembly.
If you really want to go low tech, just get a philips bit and clamp it in a vise grip so it's at a 90 degree angle. I just loosed the screws with the bit/vise grip and then unscrew it the rest of the way with my fingers. This way you can undo the 3 screws without having to take off the spoiler.

BTW, I gave up on trying to figure out what resistor to buy. I called a big junk yard in Maryland and they have used high mounted stop lamps for $20. Not as good as paying 50 cents for a resistor, but beats the $180 from the dealership.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Nosfur22
I gave up on trying to figure out what resistor to buy. I called a big junk yard in Maryland and they have used high mounted stop lamps for $20. Not as good as paying 50 cents for a resistor, but beats the $180 from the dealership.
Check the message I sent to you, Nos. Sorry I couldn't be more exact as to which resistor I used. But, if I remember correctly, the Radio Shack salesguy (all jokes about those RS workers aside) was actually very helpful in helping me determine which resistor I needed to get the LED strip working again. It was a little gamble, but the first $.50 resistor I tried (years ago, when I did this repair) worked like a charm and has been working ever since.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks Nafddur. Actually, I bought a light from a junkyard and replaced it. In the meantime my coworker took it up as a challenge and figured out it was a 22ohms resistor. He soldiered a new one on and it works perfectly. I hope I can sell it on Ebay.