4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

mevi's on whats wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 07:12 AM

mevi's on whats wrong?

hello orger's i installed my mevi this past saturday at my dads shop. with all the info i printed out from org members it took about 1hour. he did the manifold and i did the install kit. i ran into a problem though. here's what i have

summit switch
ac delco solenoid
nissan vac canister with built in check valve

when we hooked everthing up the red light stays on in the rpm switch and for some reason i have to set my switch to the lowest setting to get 4800 which is 2000 and 000 on, those with the switch know what i mean. when i reach this point the green light comes on but the lever will not move. then we switched the hoses around but that made the lever pull constantly. so i thought i grounded the solenoid wrong so i switch from using the yellow wire to uses the grey wire but i got the same results. i know a few people said that there mevi would work a few times and not all the time and then all of a sudden just work and im hopeing that is whats wrong with mines. i couldn't test it on the road because of the snow. any thoughts pleaze help thanks

Old 01-25-2005, 08:28 AM
I still miss the max

did you check the faqs?
Old 01-25-2005, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by CarbonDreams95
did you check the faqs?

ive been reading those for the past 6 months on the mevi downloaded pic from eveywhere i can find i even made a folder for just this topic but none is helping out my situation im hoping once the snow clears and i test it that with a few runs it will magically work

Old 01-25-2005, 08:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by laylow1988
hello orger's i installed my mevi this past saturday at my dads shop. with all the info i printed out from org members it took about 1hour. he did the manifold and i did the install kit. i ran into a problem though. here's what i have

summit switch
ac delco solenoid
nissan vac canister with built in check valve

when we hooked everthing up the red light stays on in the rpm switch and for some reason i have to set my switch to the lowest setting to get 4800 which is 2000 and 000 on, those with the switch know what i mean. when i reach this point the green light comes on but the lever will not move. then we switched the hoses around but that made the lever pull constantly. so i thought i grounded the solenoid wrong so i switch from using the yellow wire to uses the grey wire but i got the same results. i know a few people said that there mevi would work a few times and not all the time and then all of a sudden just work and im hopeing that is whats wrong with mines. i couldn't test it on the road because of the snow. any thoughts pleaze help thanks

I'm going from memory on this so I hope I'm right. The same issue kicked my butt when I first installed mine.

Put the vacuum hose from the canister (black port) to the side of the soleniod where there are 2 nipples. Attach the other nipple to the actuator on the VI with another hose. Leave the single polished nipple as a vent.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:33 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

if your getting the activation and power light on the summit switch to come on then most likely that is done correct. So if that is working then you could still have the solenoid hooked up wrong. The yellow wire off the summit switch should be going to the solenoid, the grey wire is not used in out application. The other wire off the solenoid goes to your 12v power source.

Sounds more like a vacuum problem to me. You probably have the hoses wrong on the solenoid like Deezo is saying, or you are just not holding vacuum....but if it was a problem with holding vaccum you should still get it to open while the car is parked.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:54 AM
SLOW

Definately a vacuum problem. Check the connections of your hoses and if you cant figure out what is wrong with their current connections, mark them (so you can remember how they were) and then start hooking them up in different combinations to see what works. The way you describe it its definately a problem with the way you have the hoses hooked up.

The hose going to the gold MEVI actuator needs to attach to the solenoid such that it flows air freely when the solenoid is not activated (you can test this by blowing through that hose with the car off, and you should hear/feel air coming out of one of the nipples on the solenoid. The other nipple on the solenoid needs to be hooked to the vacuum canister without any sort of valve in the way. Then the other nipple on the vacuum canister needs to be what connects to your vacuum source T, and that hose needs to have a checkvalve in between where you T for the source, and the nipple of the vacuum canister.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:05 AM

ok i got to a shopping complex and popped the hood. i didnt touch anything i just looked at the setup. i decided to try it one more time before i start playing with the hoses. i kept the rpm at 5000 and i saw the lever moving, adding a little more pressure on the gas it just worked, but as soon as i let off the gas it closed back up. so if this is the way the mevi is suppose to work then im good to go. i cant wait for some dry roads to test it

Old 01-26-2005, 07:40 AM
SomePsychoGuy

The MEVI is supposed to be open above ~5000 and be closed below ~5000. A VAFC-2 can allow you to have different points to open and close but I am not sure that it is really needed.

Good luck. Those MEVI problems are a big pain to deal with after all of the work of putting it on. My Summit ended up going bad from when I wired it up wrong or I had some kind of connection problem but when I connected my friend's MSD switch and soldered most of the connections better then it worked fine.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:21 AM
Boosted Panda

ok i got to a shopping complex and popped the hood. i didnt touch anything i just looked at the setup. i decided to try it one more time before i start playing with the hoses. i kept the rpm at 5000 and i saw the lever moving, adding a little more pressure on the gas it just worked, but as soon as i let off the gas it closed back up. so if this is the way the mevi is suppose to work then im good to go. i cant wait for some dry roads to test it

What dip switch setting do you have it set on? 3400?
I cant seem to get mine to activate. Everything is hooked up correclty and I can get it to activate if I ground the Neg. terminal on the Solenoid but it just doesnt seem to be getting an RPM signal to the solenoid.
Im just wondering if I havent found the right switch setting.
Ive tried 2000 through 3400 on the switch and revved to 5500 each time. Im just wondering if I need to keep setting it higher or if the switch just has an issue.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:27 AM

[QUOTE
Good luck. Those MEVI problems are a big pain to deal with after all of the work of putting it on. My Summit ended up going bad from when I wired it up wrong or I had some kind of connection problem but when I connected my friend's MSD switch and soldered most of the connections better then it worked fine.[/QUOTE]

your old post about the problems you were having is one post that helped me install mines along with iansaw's(i think thats how spell his name) ,vqpower, deezo,chuckie311,nealoc187,I30tmike,and the faq's. so thanks to all and when the road dries up i'll test it out, but as far as the lever situation it seems to be fixed.

Old 01-26-2005, 08:41 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Originally Posted by FLAVOR_24/7
I cant seem to get mine to activate. Everything is hooked up correclty and I can get it to activate if I ground the Neg. terminal on the Solenoid but it just doesnt seem to be getting an RPM signal to the solenoid.
Ive tried 2000 through 3400 on the switch and revved to 5500 each time. Im just wondering if I need to keep setting it higher or if the switch just has an issue.
Change where your getting your rpm signal. Try the ECU
Old 01-26-2005, 08:45 AM

so im assuming u have the same parts as i. here is how i hooked it up

the rpm switch:
red/pos--goes to the cig lighter pos
blk/neg--goes to the cig lighter neg
white wire-to the screw behind the tach
yellow wire -runs to the engine bay connecting it to the solenoids ground wire

the positive wire on the solenoid can just go to ur battery positive or whereever you can get a 12volt pos from the engine bay.

the setting on my rpm switch was weird though i had to set it to 2000 (on) and 000 (on) to get it to activate at 5000 rpm. some told me 3400=5400 or sumthing like that but 2000 worked the 5000rpm for me.

is your red light on when the car is on?

when you set the switch to the lowest setting you shouldn't have to rev more than 5000 rpm for the green light to come on.

look at ur wiring again and make sure the connections are ran right

Old 01-26-2005, 09:17 AM
Boosted Panda

so im assuming u have the same parts as i. here is how i hooked it up

the rpm switch:
red/pos--goes to the cig lighter pos
blk/neg--goes to the cig lighter neg
white wire-to the screw behind the tach
yellow wire -runs to the engine then u connect it to the solenoids ground wire

the positive wire on the solenoid can just go to ur battery positive or whereever you can get a 12volt pos from the engine bay.

the setting on my rpm switch was weird though i had to set it to 2000 (on) and 000 (on) to get it to activate at 5000 rpm. some told me 3400=5400 or sumthing like that but 2000 worked the 5000rpm for me.

is your red light on when the car is on?

when you set the switch to the lowest setting you shouldn't have to rev more than 5000 rpm for the green light to come on.

look at ur wiring again and make sure the connections are ran right

I have the
positive from the switch going to the 12volt cig,
black from the switch to a chassis ground
white wire to the TAM screw
Yellow wire going to the Neg. on Solenoid
Positve wire for solenoid is taped into the postive wire of the switch.
Switch has power and is showing a red led.

When you say yellow wire going to the engine, where at on the engine?
Mine is going directly from the switch to the solenoid.
Like I stated before, when I ground out the solenoid directly, it opens.
So it seems everything is wired correctly its just not getting the RPM signal telling the solenoid to GND and activate the MEVI.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:21 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
Change where your getting your rpm signal. Try the ECU
It seems it should be getting signal from the TAM, my shift light comes on and its wired there as well.
I even disconnected the shift light and just ran the wire for the Switch to see if the shift light was interfering but still nothing. I will try the ECU wire next I guess. I just hate to splice into those wires for fear of messing something up.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:34 PM

just pull out your gauges and tap into the wires there. thats what i did it was much easier. just find the white wire with green strip
Old 02-11-2005, 05:25 AM

i believe he got the problem fixed he didnt turn both sets inside the rmp box in the on position i guess he overread my thread and didnt notice what i said about 2000 on and ooo on but its fixed
Old 02-11-2005, 05:30 AM

It seems it should be getting signal from the TAM, my shift light comes on and its wired there as well.
I even disconnected the shift light and just ran the wire for the Switch to see if the shift light was interfering but still nothing. I will try the ECU wire next I guess. I just hate to splice into those wires for fear of messing something up.
Use the TAM screw.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:31 AM
Boosted Panda

Yes, I have it going now.
Just as laylow1988 stated, I didnt have the 000+ turned on with the 300 and 4000+