4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Any Bosch +4 Owners out there?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2001, 04:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

When you guys installed these plugs did you notice that the cars acceleration felt different from a standing start? I don't know if its me but there is a little feel like the engine is dragging in low RPMs when driving but when you punch it, it feels like a it has a little more at high RPM's. The NGK's had 70000 on them and they made the engine feel free in lower RPM's and with not much to offer in high RPM's. Do you guys know or think that the plugs will have to brake in like any other part of the car? Any ideas are welcome.
Old 04-27-2001, 05:16 AM
Administrator

no clue.. unfortunately when i changed mine i also changed my fuel filter.. and performance on a hold was a great improvement.. the car is peppy at all RPM's but then again i have a CAI and a Y Pipe.. so its suppose to..

let me ask you.. when was the last time you changed your fuel filter? has it ever been changed? maybe you should if not.. it will show greater improvement..
Old 04-27-2001, 05:19 AM

Originally posted by SprintMax
no clue.. unfortunately when i changed mine i also changed my fuel filter.. and performance on a hold was a great improvement.. the car is peppy at all RPM's but then again i have a CAI and a Y Pipe.. so its suppose to..

let me ask you.. when was the last time you changed your fuel filter? has it ever been changed? maybe you should if not.. it will show greater improvement..
This is actually the first time I have gotten under the hood to do anything since I bought the car last May. The plugs were original and I suspect that the fuel filter is too. I'll change it today. How much was it?
Old 04-27-2001, 05:35 AM

Bosch Plus 4

I just installed them ( thanks eric93se)as well as mobil One..

Saw a 200 RPM drop in Idle. Have NOT noticed performance Change....YET..

I was warned about them... Bosch will replace them free if i am not satisfied... Waiting 90 days.. Want to see gas milage improvment..

We removed standard NGK plugs...with 45k on them so i hope these make a difference...

The NGk laser platinum plugs were 28 bucks EACH.. Bosch 4.99.. How bad could it get??
Old 04-27-2001, 05:37 AM
Administrator

I bought a purolator one from Advanced Auto Parts for $9

http://web2.airmail.net/scutchen/max...lter/index.htm

check out Steve's site.. when i did mine.. i didn't do the bottom hose steve did.. i did the one at the bottom of the filter...

good luck

Originally posted by deezo

This is actually the first time I have gotten under the hood to do anything since I bought the car last May. The plugs were original and I suspect that the fuel filter is too. I'll change it today. How much was it?
Old 04-27-2001, 05:41 AM

I bought a purolator one from Advanced Auto Parts for $9

http://web2.airmail.net/scutchen/max...lter/index.htm

check out Steve's site.. when i did mine.. i didn't do the bottom hose steve did.. i did the one at the bottom of the filter...

good luck

Thanks man, I'll check it out.

Old 04-27-2001, 05:48 AM

Re: Bosch Plus 4

Originally posted by bluefish
I just installed them ( thanks eric93se)as well as mobil One..

Saw a 200 RPM drop in Idle. Have NOT noticed performance Change....YET..

I was warned about them... Bosch will replace them free if i am not satisfied... Waiting 90 days.. Want to see gas milage improvment..

We removed standard NGK plugs...with 45k on them so i hope these make a difference...

The NGk laser platinum plugs were 28 bucks EACH.. Bosch 4.99.. How bad could it get??
I bought the Plat +4s from AUTOZONE and they had a deal if you bought 4 or more they would give you a $10 AUTOZONE card. Worked for me, think the total was about $6-7 each for around $36 BUT I did get the $10 card (bought a Meguirs clay bar). I changed out my pcv, fuel filter too. Can't say that I noticed any difference in performance. This car absolutely sings at high rpm. Scary how fast you can get it to 6,000 and how smooth it is. My SE idles at about 500-600 with a/c off, with a/c on it's about 700-800. Yes, I use MOBIL 1 and I too am using the PURE One filter....I think mine only cost about $6 though. I KNOW that the MOBIL ONE filters are about $9.
Mileage....usually around 24 mpg...that includes city and highway (highway is always at 80 mph w/ cruise). BTW, mine is a 5spd. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Cheers
Old 04-27-2001, 01:16 PM

BOSCH 4 +

Just put these in about 2 weeks ago to replace the Original spark plugs. I've got 100K+ on my 97 SE 5 speed.
The difference was instantly noticable. Must have had a rotten original plug or something.
The car pulls from 2500 rpm to 3000 with a bunch more gusto. Then it flat out takes off and is siren smooth all the way to redline. Gas mileage improved too by about 50 miles a tank.. Also I used to have a loud engine hum -kinda course- at 80MPH when running 3,000+ RPM -that's gone now. It is much quieter at higher rpms. A bigger improvement than I thought it would be.
Old 04-27-2001, 01:28 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: BOSCH 4 +

Wait a minute. You cannot compare plugs w/ 100+k miles on them(40k beyond the replacement interval) w/ brand new plugs. Tell you what put another 100+k miles on these Bosch ones and then compare(if the plugs are still able to fire by 100k)

Originally posted by VQ Quick
Just put these in about 2 weeks ago to replace the Original spark plugs. I've got 100K+ on my 97 SE 5 speed.
The difference was instantly noticable. Must have had a rotten original plug or something.
The car pulls from 2500 rpm to 3000 with a bunch more gusto. Then it flat out takes off and is siren smooth all the way to redline. Gas mileage improved too by about 50 miles a tank.. Also I used to have a loud engine hum -kinda course- at 80MPH when running 3,000+ RPM -that's gone now. It is much quieter at higher rpms. A bigger improvement than I thought it would be.
Old 04-27-2001, 02:40 PM

of course you can't compare old plugs to new ones

That's not the point. The point is the general enhancement and improvement that can easily be done. Just like the improvements in handling and performance when upgrading from worn out stock 16 inch rubber to ultra high performance rubber and 17 inch rims. ie. For little money you could improve your engine performance.
Old 04-27-2001, 02:44 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: of course you can't compare old plugs to new ones

Yeah, as long as everyone understood that. It wasn't clear in the post. IMHO the Bosch plugs won't last nearly as long as the NGKs though. Maybe half as long maybe. But since they are 1/2 as cheap and you have to go to the trouble to change them again and maybe suffer the effects of old plugs twice then I guess it's worth it.

Won't know until you put about 30-40k on them.

Originally posted by VQ Quick
That's not the point. The point is the general enhancement and improvement that can easily be done. Just like the improvements in handling and performance when upgrading from worn out stock 16 inch rubber to ultra high performance rubber and 17 inch rims. ie. For little money you could improve your engine performance.
Old 04-27-2001, 04:39 PM

Re: Re: of course you can't compare old plugs to new ones

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Yeah, as long as everyone understood that. It wasn't clear in the post. IMHO the Bosch plugs won't last nearly as long as the NGKs though. Maybe half as long maybe. But since they are 1/2 as cheap and you have to go to the trouble to change them again and maybe suffer the effects of old plugs twice then I guess it's worth it.

Won't know until you put about 30-40k on them.

I will get rid of them in about 30000 anyway. By then I will have put aside anough money for the NGK's.\

SrpintMax, I put the new fuel filter in and the idle is much smoother now. I am going to run to the store and test it out. What a b#tch to get out tho!!!
Old 04-27-2001, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: of course you can't compare old plugs to new ones

you my friend must have ABS and a stock airbox .. its soooo much easier when you have a CAI and no ABS

i am getting rid of mine soon for NOS anyway.. colder NGK plugs

Originally posted by deezo

I will get rid of them in about 30000 anyway. By then I will have put aside anough money for the NGK's.\

SrpintMax, I put the new fuel filter in and the idle is much smoother now. I am going to run to the store and test it out. What a b#tch to get out tho!!!
Old 04-27-2001, 05:25 PM

Re: Bosch Plus 4

>The NGK laser platinum plugs were 28 bucks EACH.. Bosch >4.99.. How bad could it get??

The NGK plugs are more expensive because they have a solid piece of platinum on the electrode. Platinum costs more that gold. It also wears very little. The Bosch plugs just have a little plating. I think you can get NGK's for about half that price at an independant that discounts, but I'd have to check to be sure.

Bob
Old 04-27-2001, 05:48 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Re: Bosch Plus 4

OEM NGKs can be had for around $10 each at Courtesy Nissan or www.tacomanissan.com

Originally posted by BobMax
>The NGK laser platinum plugs were 28 bucks EACH.. Bosch >4.99.. How bad could it get??

The NGK plugs are more expensive because they have a solid piece of platinum on the electrode. Platinum costs more that gold. It also wears very little. The Bosch plugs just have a little plating. I think you can get NGK's for about half that price at an independant that discounts, but I'd have to check to be sure.

Bob
Old 04-27-2001, 08:50 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: of course you can't compare old plugs to new ones

you my friend must have ABS and a stock airbox .. its soooo much easier when you have a CAI and no ABS

i am getting rid of mine soon for NOS anyway.. colder NGK plugs

I just got back from chillin' and testing out the new plugs and filter. The filter made the difference. I have plenty more power up in the higher RPM ranges. It pulls like hell now. Much better. I just have the stock airbox and no ABS. Just waiting for the Stillen High Flow group deal to go through.