4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

MEVI help Pleeease!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 11:27 AM
Boosted Panda

MEVI help Pleeease!

At my wits end.
Ive been playing with this thing for over a week now and cannot get it to open with an RPM signal. Everything seems to be hooked up correctly, and when I directly ground the Vac. solenoid the MEVI opens. So it seems to me that everything is connected correctly, its just not opneing when it recieves an RPM signal, if it is even getting a signal. Im using the Summit Switch.
I first tapped into the TAM screw, and when that didnt work I tapped into the ECU harness. I tapped the white wire with a green stripe. It was the only one I saw that was white with a green stripe and was next to some purple wires as mentioned in the past.
Ive searched and searched and have spoken to many other members and am still at a lost.
Here are some pics of my setup, any suggestions? Maybe the switch is just bad??
This is where I tapped into the ecu...

I cut away the plastic sheilding and tapped it with exposed wire so I know its getting a good contact.
Here is the Summit RPM switch,
I have it set to 2000 hoping to see it come on. Ive tried all the way up to 4000 and it never did anything. I revved the car up to 5500 each time.
This is the Vac. solenoid

Yellow to to RPM switch and red sharing a 12volt source with the switch, white wire goin gto RPM signal(ecu).
Old 01-29-2005, 11:32 AM
Boosted Panda

T fitting where its getting it vacuum

This is the Vac. Solenoid going to the cannister
Vacuum going to MEVI

Sorry for the big pics, just wanted to get as much detail as possible.
So, any thought, or suggestions?
Old 01-29-2005, 03:29 PM

you painted your mevi red? i have no idea what the answer is to your question... goodluck with that
Old 01-29-2005, 03:43 PM
MaximaDriver

hehe good luck

I know that is too late but.... happy new year
Old 01-29-2005, 05:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i thought you needed a relay to make the vacuum solenoid switch work??? my setup i use the ac delco switch.. i would go with that instead
Old 01-29-2005, 08:44 PM

Maybe the vac seleniod is hooked up wrong ?? try it on another configuration

-matt
Old 01-29-2005, 09:01 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Have you fiddled with the "adjust" screw on the rpm switch (upper right hand corner in your pic)? I know when I had the Summit RPM switch I had to adjust that screw fractionally to get everything to work. If you adjusted it too much either way and it wouldn't work. BTW, I think the Summit RPM switch is a POS. It's way too hard to set it up correctly, it flakes out just like the Harlan RPM switch, and I'm not convinced it works all the time. I think the Harlan is FAR better and much easier to set up.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:07 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

The summit switch is just fine. It worked for me all the time. 99% of the time things like this are just user error and everything needs to be gone over again and again until you find what you did wrong.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:26 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

i would just suggest double checking all you're butt connectors and all wiring that was done to ensure that you have all leads making contact with each other, jiggle all of those butt connectors and any other kinds to make sure nothing is lose, it may not even be a problem with the install, something could just be defective.... good luck
Old 01-30-2005, 02:02 AM
Turbo is too much fun!

If you can find a ecu diagram of the SAFC or SAFC II, it would show exactly the pin you need to connect to, I understand the color might be right but the only way to make sure is to go and find the actual pin for the tach signal. Also which wire are you using off of the rpm switch. One provides the ground when it reaches a certain rpm [the pne you need], the other kills the ground when you reach a certain rpm. Make sure you got the right wires and I would start there. Good Luck.

BTW the picture where you have the rpm set at 2000 rpm, you also need to turn have +000 turn on too. Maybe thats your problem. So for 5000 rpm activation you would need to have 5000-on and +000-on. If you have only been switching the 2000 on and off on the rest like the picture it will not activate at all no matter at what rpm. If that is the case, I'm almost positive that thats the problem, so try that first before looking for any wires connections. If that don't work and check the rpm and the switch wires.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by jcy98maxse
If you can find a ecu diagram of the SAFC or SAFC II, it would show exactly the pin you need to connect to, I understand the color might be right but the only way to make sure is to go and find the actual pin for the tach signal. Also which wire are you using off of the rpm switch. One provides the ground when it reaches a certain rpm [the pne you need], the other kills the ground when you reach a certain rpm. Make sure you got the right wires and I would start there. Good Luck.

BTW the picture where you have the rpm set at 2000 rpm, you also need to turn have +000 turn on too. Maybe thats your problem. So for 5000 rpm activation you would need to have 5000-on and +000-on. If you have only been switching the 2000 on and off on the rest like the picture it will not activate at all no matter at what rpm. If that is the case, I'm almost positive that thats the problem, so try that first before looking for any wires connections. If that don't work and check the rpm and the switch wires.
if you knew anyting about the summit switch you need to have it set up that way since it really for a V-8 and.. 2000=5000.. he has the right tach wire its white wire with green strip.and as far as the wires you only need the one that open the switch once you go below the selected rpm it deactivates itself.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:17 PM
Boosted Panda

Thanks for the replies, Im pretty positive everything is hooked up correctly.
Like I stated before, when I directly ground the Sol. it opens the MEVI so all the vacuums must be set up correctly, It just appears that its not getting an RPM signal.
I will check the one Butt connector I have, all the other connections are solderd on.
I tried adjusting the hundreths switches also with no luck.
In the pic it was set at 2000 just to try and see if it would open at all. I wasnt worried about what RPM it actually opened up at, just as long as it opened up. I figured once I got it to open, I could play with the switches to get it closer to 5200 rpm on my tach.
I knowthe majority of users have the switches set at 3400 for a 5200 rpm activation. But Ive also heard of others having different settings as well so figured I would try different settings.
I have not played with the tunning screw yet, so I guess I could try that.

This thing is getting soo annoying. I hate knowing I spent a nice chunk of change and not being able do anything with it.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:04 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

Originally Posted by chuckie311
if you knew anyting about the summit switch you need to have it set up that way since it really for a V-8 and.. 2000=5000.. he has the right tach wire its white wire with green strip.and as far as the wires you only need the one that open the switch once you go below the selected rpm it deactivates itself.
That is incorrect, so if 2000=5000 then wats 9000=12000? Dunno whens the last time I heard a V8 that wrap up to 12000rpm let alone needing a rpm switch for something like a vi, buddy maybe you should read the instruction from Summit first and then correct me... it doesn't deactiviate itself. We need the switch to provide a ground @ a certain rpm ie 5000 for the solenoid so it can provide vaccum for the actuator for the buterfly valves, when it drops below 5000 rpm, the switch releases the ground therefore the butterfly valves closes.

Flavor, all I am saying is if you want to test your tach signal @ 2000 rpm, your dimple for 2000 and +000 must be in the ON position. I just went downstair to check on mine just to make sure and I have mine set at 5000 and +000 ON to have my vi activiate at 5000 rpm, the 3000 and +400 is the setting for 5200 if you have a Harlan, on the Summit its 3400 rpm activiation. No matter what rpm you want to test the signal you would need one dimple per switchboard to be in the ON position. Good luck to you if thats not it then you got me on this one too.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:40 PM

That is incorrect, so if 2000=5000 then wats 9000=12000? Dunno whens the last time I heard a V8 that wrap up to 12000rpm let alone needing a rpm switch for something like a vi, buddy maybe you should read the instruction from Summit first and then correct me... it doesn't deactiviate itself. We need the switch to provide a ground @ a certain rpm ie 5000 for the solenoid so it can provide vaccum for the actuator for the buterfly valves, when it drops below 5000 rpm, the switch releases the ground therefore the butterfly valves closes.

Flavor, all I am saying is if you want to test your tach signal @ 2000 rpm, your dimple for 2000 and +000 must be in the ON position. I just went downstair to check on mine just to make sure and I have mine set at 5000 and +000 ON to have my vi activiate at 5000 rpm, the 3000 and +400 is the setting for 5200 if you have a Harlan on the Summit its 3400. No matter what rpm you want to test the signal you would need one dimple per switchboard to be in the ON position. Good luck to you if thats not it then you got me on this one too.
hmmm maybe you better read them because i have a summit rpm switch on my car and if you is set to 5000 and opens yours in the only one that does because everyone else on here has to set it back by 2000 to get it to open where they want..well you must be unsing a different switch im takling about the ac/delco switch you dont need to deactivate it once the rpm falls below what you have set to open the switch closes..and if im wrong on the setting of summit why do yourself say that that you need to set the switch to 3400 to open at 5400 i guess im not wrong then...
Old 01-30-2005, 09:46 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

Originally Posted by chuckie311
hmmm maybe you better read them because i have a summit rpm switch on my car and if you is set to 5000 and opens yours in the only one that does because everyone else on here has to set it back by 2000 to get it to open where they want..well you must be unsing a different switch im takling about the ac/delco switch you dont need to deactivate it once the rpm falls below what you have set to open the switch closes..and if im wrong on the setting of summit why do yourself say that that you need to set the switch to 3400 to open at 5400 i guess im not wrong then...
Read buddy read. I said 3400 if you have a harlan, 5000 for summit. Maybe we have different switches but from Flavors pic, its look exactly like mine. I don't need to waiste my time arguing with you. I know mine is working the way it suppose to and apparently so is yours and thats the end of it. All we are doing here is try to figure out Flavor's problem. He can have it set at whatever rpm he chooses. Good luck.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:50 PM
Boosted Panda

Flavor did you have the yellow wire going to the solenoid? In your pic, I see that you have the white to the tach and yellow to the solenoid. I think you have those switched around, the yellow is suppose to go to tach and white go to solenoid. Deezo told me that a while back here is my thread: link
Hope this helps.
Yes, the yellow is going to the solenoid.
In the instructions it states that the white wire is for rpm signal.
In all the threads ive read they all state that the white wire goes to the ecu and yellow to the solenoid.
I have read that post be Deezo as well, but then in this posts he states the opposite
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....+switch+wiring
If you get a chance, could you double check your wiring and see if you are indeed using the yellow for the rpm signal?
Old 01-30-2005, 09:51 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

I'll check on that right now give me a sec

Well my yellow goes to solenoid too and white goes to tach like yours lol, so looks like you have that wire hooked up right. Deezo gave me the wrong info on the other thread so I'll delete that last post.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:01 PM
Boosted Panda

Thanks for checking on that for me.
The only thing I can think of is too keep playing with the dip switches and see if I can get it to open.
If anything, maybe I can send it back to Summit and ask them to replace the switch.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:40 PM
SomePsychoGuy

I had the same problem when I installed my MEVI. It was so frustrating.

My friend had an MSD switch lying around and I tried to use and went back and soldered everything to it. At first I had everything with crimp connections. Worked once I did that. I may try to see If I can't use the Summit since I still have it but I wired it up wrong in the first place so that may have made it go bad.

Are any of the lights on the Summit lighting up?
Old 01-30-2005, 11:01 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by h2kSPiG
I had the same problem when I installed my MEVI. It was so frustrating.

My friend had an MSD switch lying around and I tried to use and went back and soldered everything to it. At first I had everything with crimp connections. Worked once I did that. I may try to see If I can't use the Summit since I still have it but I wired it up wrong in the first place so that may have made it go bad.

Are any of the lights on the Summit lighting up?

red one lights up.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:11 AM

looks like everything is hook up right
just make sure it is the rpm wire of the computer
i think that wire is green w/ white stripe but im not really sure
that is where your problem
the way i check if the summit switch if it works is that
i remove the yellow wire and put it in the grey wire
MEVI should be always be open
if that is the chase then your rpm wire is wrong of your comp.
dont forget to put back your yellow and grey wires back
goodluck
Old 01-31-2005, 08:19 AM
SomePsychoGuy

hmm If you rev does the green one ever light up?
Old 01-31-2005, 08:50 AM

your pics are mad big so i can't see exactly what you have hooked up to what - but when i did my boy's it was the same problem..... i'm not sure where you are getting your rpm source - but try testing the signal - when we tested his it was too weak to signal the relay to close the mevi.... test the source with a multi meter.... - if the relay isn't getting the required amt. it won't close... just my 2 cents - if it'll help
Old 01-31-2005, 09:32 AM
Boosted Panda

hmm If you rev does the green one ever light up?
I never get a green light.
If I was, then I would know Im getting an RPM signal but have a vacuum issue. Its doesnt seem that Im getting a rpm signal though because it never goes green.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:36 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by max'dout06
your pics are mad big so i can't see exactly what you have hooked up to what - but when i did my boy's it was the same problem..... i'm not sure where you are getting your rpm source - but try testing the signal - when we tested his it was too weak to signal the relay to close the mevi.... test the source with a multi meter.... - if the relay isn't getting the required amt. it won't close... just my 2 cents - if it'll help
I tried getting a signal from both the TAM screw and now im tapped into the ECU.
Im not using a relay. The Summit switch does not need one.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Dave B
Have you fiddled with the "adjust" screw on the rpm switch (upper right hand corner in your pic)? I know when I had the Summit RPM switch I had to adjust that screw fractionally to get everything to work. If you adjusted it too much either way and it wouldn't work.
Ralph, did you see this post?
Old 01-31-2005, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by FLAVOR_24/7
I tried getting a signal from both the TAM screw and now im tapped into the ECU.
Im not using a relay. The Summit switch does not need one.
yeah that sounds right.... that's where we ended up taking the signal from after hours of no success.... and i'm guessing u've already tested the signal with multi meter.... even though getting it directly from ecu you should not have to.... i don't know dude.... sometimes this is hard through writing.... always better to see... sorry man.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:45 AM
SomePsychoGuy

Hmm you may want to consider buying another RPM switch and see if summit will refund or give you another one. I am really not sure what else it could be. If someone has a switch somewhat local to you see if you can "borrow" it. I know that was my problem.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:46 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
Ralph, did you see this post?
Yeah, I saw that and thats the only thing I have not done yet.
I will try that later today.

If I continue to have no luck, care to help me out sometime in the near future once the weather gets better?
Old 01-31-2005, 09:48 AM
Boosted Panda

Hmm you may want to consider buying another RPM switch and see if summit will refund or give you another one. I am really not sure what else it could be. If someone has a switch somewhat local to you see if you can "borrow" it. I know that was my problem.
Yeah, I wish these RPM switches were more common so that I could just go pick one up from a local store and see if that is the problem.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by FLAVOR_24/7
Yeah, I wish these RPM switches were more common so that I could just go pick one up from a local store and see if that is the problem.
summit should not give you a problem.... we actually ended up getting another switch also.... it may be a hassel but.....
Old 01-31-2005, 12:48 PM
SomePsychoGuy

Yeah luckily there is a store near me that I could have bought one from if I had to and one of my friends had one that he wasn't using so I just bought it from him after I tested it. Unfortunately not everyone has that. Check local ricer shops. One of them may have an MSD switch. They are more expensive though and need pills.

I feel your pain of installing the MEVI and basically losing power because of it. I didn't have mine working for about a week after I finished intial install. It is really hard to troubleshoot this kind of stuff.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:11 PM
Boosted Panda

I got it going, Im an idiot!
Well, after taking jcy98maxse's advice I went out and turned on the +000 on in the hundreths setting.
It lit up and the VI openend.
So once I saw it was opening, I set the thousandths to 3000, I left the +000 on in the hundreths and also set the +400 switch on. Its now opening at or very close to 5200rpmm on the tach.
In the past,when I was trying to get it to open, I never turned on the +000 setting in the hundreths. I was just setting the Thousandths place and a number in the hundreths place.
Looks like my problem was not turning on the +000 while turning all the others on.
I never read anywhere in the instruction or on the Org that that had to be turned on as well as the other settings.
I guess it was just common sense to turn it on, and I somehow was overlooking that.
So a big THANKS to everyone who responded to this thread, and to those who answered my PM's.
You guys rule!!
Old 01-31-2005, 04:48 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

User error, I knew it
Old 01-31-2005, 10:20 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

Good, glad we got this resolved. What is the setting for the 5200 rpm activiation? 3000 and +400 or 5000 & +200? I have mine set at 5000 & +000 it activiates at 5000 rpm, yours is set for 3000 & +400? I'll have to check mine again then, weird how mine is set that way?
Old 02-05-2005, 05:48 PM
NWP Engineering.com

While all you smart RPM switch guys are posting here, I have a question. I got a Summit RPM Switch for my VE 5spd variable intake system. I got the system working just fine with a SPST switch. So I figured it would be easy to put this RPM switch in.... not!

When I hook up the solenoid wire to yellow (12v until it's grounded at certain rpm), the green and red light comes on when I give juice to the system. Wierd! I get 0v all the time. I get 0v at idle and at 4K rpm. (I set the switch for 2K for testing purposes) I messed around with the grey wire too, the green light comes on as it should at the desired rpm, but the voltage goes from 0v to 0v. But the green light comes on.

Now, when I remove the solenoid wire from the RPM switch and just test the voltage of the yellow wire, the red light comes on and the green light stays off until the desired rpm is met. So everything seems to work as it should. But, the voltage starts at 3.3v and then goes to 0v at the desired rpm. I have 12.3v going into the red wire like I should. Isn't this wierd? So it doesn't have enough voltage to control the solenoid. I think something might be wrong with my switch. Summit support wasn't able to help me, so I will have to call back Monday to talk with a Tech support guy.

I toyed around with this switch for 3 hours tonight and couldn't get it to work. I tested the grey and yellow wire with and without the solenoid wire connected. So I took good notes and tried everything I could. Any ideas? Gracias!
Old 02-06-2005, 05:28 AM

What the best RPM to activate the mevi? I would think 4k would be a nice area for the mevi to open up.
Old 02-06-2005, 08:03 AM

4,700 rpms
Old 02-06-2005, 08:05 AM

thank you very much