4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

rear sway bar????

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 09:25 AM

rear sway bar????

should i get one now or wait till the snow is over and done with???
Old 01-31-2005, 09:28 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

What difference does it make?
Old 01-31-2005, 09:29 AM

I'm waiting until I get new tires so I don't try to push the car beyond its limitations. If money is a concern as is the weather, why don't you wait until say April.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:31 AM

money's not a concern, but i've heard some people on here say it can make handling in the snow a little tricky, just wondering if this is true or not
Old 01-31-2005, 09:39 AM

reducing understeer in any vehicle will change the way it acts in the snow. I'd wait. I havent had any problems in the snow with my stock maxima now(17inches so far), but i wouldnt want to find my new limits in the snow untill ive found them on dry surfaces first. Besides, its much too cold to be workin on cars
Old 01-31-2005, 09:44 AM

My rear comes out easier with the RSB.

LEMAR
Old 01-31-2005, 10:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ok people say RSB makes the tail end "happy" can someone please elaborate on this please explain better i thought i knew guess i dont cause i have a sway bar and even in the wet my rear stays planted
Old 01-31-2005, 11:18 AM
bad mama jama

I'll explain the sway bar in normal conditions and then you can figure it out for the snow. A sway bar, in essence, links your two rear tires together. There is actually a lot of physics involved here, and I am a physics major, but i'll try to keep it in normal terms. When you turn left, the tendency of your car is to put more pressure and stress on your outer tires, and for the car to lean to the outside of the turn. What the sway bar does, is minimize the lean that happens to the body of the car. There is energy in the car that makes it want to lean, but the sway bar keeps the body from leaning. The energy has to go somewhere though, so it puts your tread under more strain to keep the car from fishtailing. In most cases, you're not going to turn hard enough or fast enough to get the rear tires to break loose, especially in a fwd car. The benefit of the sway bar is that since the body doesn't roll as much, it is easier to bring it back to center. As in, when the car rocks to the left, it has to rock back to the right to level the suspension again. The sway bar makes it so you have less mass and suspension to recover. you probably won't notice this under normal driving conditions, but when you start driving harder and the car leans more you will notice that it is easier to aim the car straight ahead after turning, especially while doing multiple turns in both directions (like an s-turn).

Long story short, the sway bar minimizes body roll and makes it easier to point the car forward again or to go from a left turn to a right turn. This however, puts more strain on the tires and tread to maintain grip. when there is ice or snow on the road, it is already easier for the tires to slip, and with a sway bar, you may be giving your car that extra nudge to slide out that it didn't have without the sway bar.

Under normal driving conditions this shouldn't make any difference whatsoever, and might make driving in the snow more fun when you want. It's all about knowing how to control your car and knowing it's limits. Installing a sway bar in the snow could be a good thing because it will help you learn its limits so you can drive it harder when the weather clears up.

I see however that you are in PA, so i would take the lazy way out. In my opinion its too cold to work on my car right now.

my $.10

Ed
Old 01-31-2005, 11:34 AM

now what can we use to lock down the front cause i basically have "felt" everything yu just said while driving now what can i use for the front to lock it down
Old 01-31-2005, 11:49 AM
What was that?

I have yet to slide my tail out since I have gotten my RSB. It makes the car a lot more fun to drive. I'de say get it whenever you have the money. Just don't drive like a ******* in the snow and you should be fine.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:49 AM
bad mama jama

a strut bar kind of helps. better springs and struts is pretty much the only option for maximas to minimize front end roll that I'm aware of.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:16 PM

how about the bhlemco front bar does that help or will it help
Old 01-31-2005, 12:31 PM
bad mama jama

i don't know what that is, can you post a link?
Old 01-31-2005, 04:03 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

An RSB diminishes rear grip. Strut bars help to stiffen the frame.

Lowering springs are the best method to reduce body roll on our maxima's.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:06 PM
Team Ramrod

Originally Posted by recardeeps222
I'll explain the sway bar in normal conditions and then you can figure it out for the snow. A sway bar, in essence, links your two rear tires together. There is actually a lot of physics involved here, and I am a physics major, but i'll try to keep it in normal terms. When you turn left, the tendency of your car is to put more pressure and stress on your outer tires, and for the car to lean to the outside of the turn. What the sway bar does, is minimize the lean that happens to the body of the car. There is energy in the car that makes it want to lean, but the sway bar keeps the body from leaning. The energy has to go somewhere though, so it puts your tread under more strain to keep the car from fishtailing. In most cases, you're not going to turn hard enough or fast enough to get the rear tires to break loose, especially in a fwd car. The benefit of the sway bar is that since the body doesn't roll as much, it is easier to bring it back to center. As in, when the car rocks to the left, it has to rock back to the right to level the suspension again. The sway bar makes it so you have less mass and suspension to recover. you probably won't notice this under normal driving conditions, but when you start driving harder and the car leans more you will notice that it is easier to aim the car straight ahead after turning, especially while doing multiple turns in both directions (like an s-turn).

Long story short, the sway bar minimizes body roll and makes it easier to point the car forward again or to go from a left turn to a right turn. This however, puts more strain on the tires and tread to maintain grip. when there is ice or snow on the road, it is already easier for the tires to slip, and with a sway bar, you may be giving your car that extra nudge to slide out that it didn't have without the sway bar.

Under normal driving conditions this shouldn't make any difference whatsoever, and might make driving in the snow more fun when you want. It's all about knowing how to control your car and knowing it's limits. Installing a sway bar in the snow could be a good thing because it will help you learn its limits so you can drive it harder when the weather clears up.

I see however that you are in PA, so i would take the lazy way out. In my opinion its too cold to work on my car right now.

my $.10

Ed
i hate not being able to work on my car without freezing my A$$ off... it makes sense for you just to wait it out till the winter ends
Old 01-31-2005, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by recardeeps222
i don't know what that is, can you post a link?
Lowe Tie Bar

how good does this work most of it is what he says anyone here have it on their max please share experience and also how does it looked underneath the car
Old 01-31-2005, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by naijai
how good does this work most of it is what he says anyone here have it on their max please share experience and also how does it looked underneath the car
Works fine... however, the ground clearance was problematic for me that I removed the brace.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:26 PM

I think there's a review on VQpower.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:34 PM
Donating i30 Owner

... wow.. htats some stuff.. hm i might wnat to try that.. if it helps im a freak when it comes to handle..
Old 01-31-2005, 04:45 PM
Rollin' on 'Caps

Originally Posted by Caracicatriz
I have yet to slide my tail out since I have gotten my RSB. It makes the car a lot more fun to drive. I'de say get it whenever you have the money. Just don't drive like a ******* in the snow and you should be fine.

I've had my progress RSB on the stiffest setting all winter now (Grand Rapids gets a lot of snow + ice in the winter due to the lake), and I've had zero problems whatsoever. Just don't drive like a maniac and you should be fine, but it's all up to you when you want to get it.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:21 PM

does anyone have the stage 2 bar seems no ground clearance lost with that one
Old 01-31-2005, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by naijai
does anyone have the stage 2 bar seems no ground clearance lost with that one
...err..that's what mine was. I hit almost every piece of road kill there was (most I never thought would hit it) and even chunks of rocks and debris. On a lowered car, the brace sits very low.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:54 PM

lots of construction in my area so i doubt if that will be a good idea
Old 02-01-2005, 01:04 PM
bad mama jama

dropping is definitely next on my list
Old 02-02-2005, 10:40 AM
Donating i30 Owner

hmm im not dorpped so i might go wiht the 1st tie bar.. the brace restricts the ypipe etc.. thouhg i dont have them i have plans in future.. so i dont know..