4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

got my slave cylinder today

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 09:59 AM
Jedi Knight

big words mr. exit10...lets see what your next stupid post is about...and I bet I won't be shutting anything but your mouth. If you don't want people to comment...then don't post!

Sryth, apologies but this moron claims to have done things but yet can't identify parts...i find that strange, especially with his lack of knowledge with cars...so how did he know what to fill...cause the book says so? The book gives you the name...and then..why would he bleed the clutch before if nothing was replaced?
Old 02-04-2005, 10:00 AM
I'm needing a caw

You get sand in your coochie this week nupie?
Old 02-04-2005, 10:07 AM
Hooooooonda.....

^
Is today, be like Dave day? Why is everyone so mean?
Old 02-04-2005, 10:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by DAVE Sz
^
Is today, be like Dave day? Why is everyone so mean?
You guys are funny.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:17 AM
Jedi Knight

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
You get sand in your coochie this week nupie?
NO...just the rock salt from all the snow
Old 02-04-2005, 10:31 AM

You guys are jerks
Old 02-04-2005, 10:33 AM

nupe just relax. i never said i didnt want ppl 2 comment, i just didnt want azzholes like you to go and put everyone down on the thread. im sure youve been told "if u have nothing good to say, then dont say it at all" mabey you need to go back to 2nd grade or somthing to brush up on that. also you obvsiously have no prior knowledge of why i am replacing the slave, i have bled it before becuase the hose comign from the slave had a leak. why would i have to replace somthign 2 bleed the clutch??? what planet are you on. i bled the cltuch cuz there was air in the system. just becuase i didnt know the name of the resivor i was filling doesnt mean i dont know anything about cars.

do everyone a favor and just dont post back, ur better off takin a shower to get the rock salt out of your coochie.

someone please lock this thread i cant stand people arrogance.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Bottom line, exit10:

In my opinion/experience, you can replace the slave cylinder by itself. If you buy into the 'particles of the hose' theory, you can just keep bleeding until all of the old stuff is out. Replacing the master cylinder is entirely unnecessary. If you subscribe to the theory that the MC needs replacement on the grounds that particles are in the system, you should replace all lines/hoses as well.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:26 AM
Jedi Knight

Originally Posted by exit10
nupe just relax. i never said i didnt want ppl 2 comment, i just didnt want azzholes like you to go and put everyone down on the thread. im sure youve been told "if u have nothing good to say, then dont say it at all" mabey you need to go back to 2nd grade or somthing to brush up on that. also you obvsiously have no prior knowledge of why i am replacing the slave, i have bled it before becuase the hose comign from the slave had a leak. why would i have to replace somthign 2 bleed the clutch??? what planet are you on. i bled the cltuch cuz there was air in the system. just becuase i didnt know the name of the resivor i was filling doesnt mean i dont know anything about cars.

do everyone a favor and just dont post back, ur better off takin a shower to get the rock salt out of your coochie.

someone please lock this thread i cant stand people arrogance.
another org tough guy....I've got a slave with a bad leak...I'll just bleed it and nor replace it. and the correct spelling is CLUTCH not cltuch. Crying to the moderators is not going to help you.... and why don't you come help me get the rock salt out?

btw...I'd rather be a smart azzhole than a DUMB kid that don't know ****
Old 02-04-2005, 11:27 AM
I'm needing a caw

Originally Posted by nupe500
: and why don't you come help me get the rock salt out?
Old 02-04-2005, 11:34 AM
Jedi Knight

10char
Old 02-04-2005, 11:46 AM

look do what you want....
But my old teacher who did transmissions for 35 years said you replace them both. So you can listen to all these azzholes, or someone who did transmissions longer than these people have been alive.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well, my dad has been a mechanic for 40 years...and he said it's ok to not replace the master. (just kidding )

I posed my query to learn the reasoning behind your claim that you have to replace the master as well...I wasn't challenging your expertise/manhood/teacher. I meant no offense by it.

And not to offend your teacher, but I've met mechanics that have been in the business for decades and offer their advice with no understanding of the concepts that lead to the lore in the first place; their mentor told them, and they'll tell their apprentice. My father is one of these guys, though, to his credit, he precedes every piece of his advice with the disclaimer "They say ..." or some other similar phrase.

The only thing I've read might convince me to do my master cylinder next time was Jeff's comment: They aren't that expensive, so why not?

But, in the end, I think I'll keep my $$ until my master cylinder goes...I'm always looking for a good excuse to turn wrenches
Old 02-04-2005, 02:46 PM

theres two groups of people in this world, followers and leaders.

90% of mechanics out there are half ***, as an engineer, i pretty much challenge everythign i hear until someone gives me REASONING behind why things are done the way they are. if you dont question somethign you dont learn jack shiznit. id also liek to know why the master cylinder needs to be changed. does it undergo the same amount of fatigue that a slave cylidner would?
Old 02-04-2005, 02:50 PM
I'm needing a caw

If one CV axle goes out, do you just replace that side? Or do both?

Originally Posted by mansurxk
theres two groups of people in this world, followers and leaders.

90% of mechanics out there are half ***, as an engineer, i pretty much challenge everythign i hear until someone gives me REASONING behind why things are done the way they are. if you dont question somethign you dont learn jack shiznit. id also liek to know why the master cylinder needs to be changed. does it undergo the same amount of fatigue that a slave cylidner would?
Old 02-04-2005, 03:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just replace the one side...I hope you're going where I think you're going with this

(I do, however, replace the entire axle if only 1 of the joints goes...that's a matter of convenience)
Old 02-04-2005, 03:11 PM

i dont understand the hydraulic clutch system too well. but id change both cv joints. but are both components of the hydraulic system equally stressed? or is the slave more prone to failure is essentially what im asking.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:14 PM
I'm needing a caw

Whatever made one go (ie.. gunk, corrosion etc..) (in this case the SC), the mc and line has been subjected to the same crap. But it just so happens the SC went out first.

So IMHO, just replace all of it. I had a ss line and my SC went out. So I just bought a MC and replaced all 3 at once. Better than replacing the SC and a month later the line leaks. You do that work and then the MC goes out 6 months later. Like I've already said, there are not that many parts and they are cheap. So just do it now and forget about the whole system for another 100,000 miles
Old 02-04-2005, 03:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Out of curiosity, would you replace your brake master if one of your calipers went?
Old 02-04-2005, 03:23 PM
I'm needing a caw

I might yes. It's a bit harder to replace but yeah. Again, they are not that expensive.

Originally Posted by sryth
Out of curiosity, would you replace your brake master if one of your calipers went?
Old 02-04-2005, 03:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

That's impressive. You seem really cautious when it comes to your car (or avoiding possible inconvieniences).

A lot of people don't have the extra $$ to dole out for all of that; Even though that's not a problem for me, I still can't seem to find the extra $$/work justified.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:31 PM

i will take jeffs advice and by the new master. jeff can you give me a link or somthing of where i can pick one up. thanks
Old 02-04-2005, 03:32 PM
I'm needing a caw

Not really. Just from years of experience teaches you that sometimes is cheaper in the long run to replace things in bunches. If the parts were expensive, then yes, I wouldn't do it unless it was deep inside the engine or extremely difficult to get at.

ie... when doing a clutch job, you usually just replace the rear main seal. But why not just leave it be and take a chance it it leaking 5,000 miles later?

Originally Posted by sryth
That's impressive. You seem really cautious when it comes to your car (or avoiding possible inconvieniences).

A lot of people don't have the extra $$ to dole out for all of that; Even though that's not a problem for me, I still can't seem to find the extra $$/work justified.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:34 PM

where can i get the new master? how much do they run
Old 02-04-2005, 03:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Not really. Just from years of experience teaches you that sometimes is cheaper in the long run to replace things in bunches. If the parts were expensive, then yes, I wouldn't do it unless it was deep inside the engine or extremely difficult to get at.

ie... when doing a clutch job, you usually just replace the rear main seal. But why not just leave it be and take a chance it it leaking 5,000 miles later?
Well...one good reason for 4th Gen owners: The tranny's prolly gonna be coming off soon after when the bearings go anyway

I usually only replace working parts when, as you said, I'm in there anyhow; the rear main seal is a perfect example. If the price is right, it's a no brainer (you wouldn't change one spark plug), but I know people that spend their last few dollars getting their car going again so they can get back and forth to school/work. They don't have the time/spare money to fix things that aren't broken. Sure, they might have to replace it in the future. A gamble? Sure. A safe one? I think so.

Different strokes for different folks. I just wanted to know why Oblongshapes thought it was necessary to replace the master.

I just went back and re-read his post...I wonder if this is a typo:
Originally Posted by Oblongshapes
Dude, i hate to tell you this, but any time a slave cylinder goes, you should replace the master, or the slave will end up going again in a while...
Old 02-04-2005, 03:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

where can i get the new master? how much do they run
So, they sold ya on the master cylinder, eh?

Here's a few places to get one:
Courtesy
Jerry Rome Nissan
Those are Nissan parts. You could save a few bucks getting one from Autozone. I'm not sure if they sell rebuilt ones, but they have one on their web site for ~$60.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:46 PM

thers a link for pinnacle nissan here, i just bought it today $71
slave was $38, thank you to the person who pointed it out.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:24 AM

Wow this thread is quite interesting to read

I just hope exit10 that your problems get resolved, if you post and need help, I'll offer my advice, you and your max just seem to be having bad luck since your accident, but after you get all these reapirs done you should be good for a while, your replacing most of the components anyway so should be just regular maintinance from here on out.

Good luck

I agree completely. Espcially with this refernce its expensive to get a rear main seal job done (if your not doing it yourself) cause tranny and clutch have to come out. I call it preventative maintinance, you'll actually save money now doing extra work, than down the line, and plus thats more time for you later down the line to not have to be under the hood and could be doing something more enjoyable.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:11 PM

just want 2 let you all know i completed the job today in about an hour and a half. the car shifts great now and i can feel some what of a difference. i think this thread taught everyone a little about PREVENTATIVE MAINTINENCE.

my complete exhaust will be installed by the end of next week and i will provide some sick pictures!!

if ne one needs help replacing there slave let me know, its very easy and consists of 3 bolts on the slave and 3 on the "box" that comes after the hose. i should have done a write up but i couldnt hold my digi cam under all the brake fluid that was covering my hands.

thanks again for the help

peaceeee
Old 02-06-2005, 09:44 AM

just want 2 let you all know i completed the job today in about an hour and a half. the car shifts great now and i can feel some what of a difference. i think this thread taught everyone a little about PREVENTATIVE MAINTINENCE.
my complete exhaust will be installed by the end of next week and i will provide some sick pictures!!
if ne one needs help replacing there slave let me know, its very easy and consists of 3 bolts on the slave and 3 on the "box" that comes after the hose. i should have done a write up but i couldnt hold my digi cam under all the brake fluid that was covering my hands.

thanks again for the help
peaceeee
good to hear its all fixed, now once you get the exhaust and struts fixed you'll be back to enjoying the max without having to worry about repairs.