4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

whats up with 4th gen brakes!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2000, 07:53 AM

i only have 24,00 miles on my car and they are screeching like hell when i push on the brakes, and this is on low speeds(under 20mph); i can't imagine how they sound when i brake hard. i could have sworn someone mentioned a caliper problem on the 4th gen max's, and had the whole thing replaced by the dealer. was there some kind of recall on these brakes? any body know? i'm going to the dealer today

thanks
Old 10-06-2000, 09:40 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

whats up with 4th gen brakes!!!

i had noisy brakes too at any speed right after i bought my 97 maxima. i went to the dealership, they inspected the bakes and said they were brand new. the dealer also said that i might hear the noise because nissan uses metallic brake pads and not semi-metallic. I dunno if that's true, but i'll never put nissan brake pads in my car.
Old 10-06-2000, 10:26 AM

Originally posted by seven
i only have 24,00 miles on my car and they are screeching like hell when i push on the brakes, and this is on low speeds(under 20mph); i can't imagine how they sound when i brake hard. i could have sworn someone mentioned a caliper problem on the 4th gen max's, and had the whole thing replaced by the dealer. was there some kind of recall on these brakes? any body know? i'm going to the dealer today

thanks
I'm unaware of a recall of this nature. You may inquire about recalls by going to this site:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/proble...ls/recmmy1.cfm

It's possible your pads are worn out. 24K miles isn't a lot but if you have automatic transmission and do mostly city driving, you may be ready for front brake pads.
Old 10-06-2000, 11:52 AM

Dealer is lying again -->

Most cars, including the Maxima use semi-metallic brake pads. Metallic brake pads would just eat up the rotors and be too expensive for a family sedan like the Maxima.

My brakes were making noises too. Turned out, the brake pads were pretty low. Ended up having to get new pads all around at 32k miles.

Old 10-06-2000, 01:18 PM

I fixed this prob

Went to dealer and they replaced my pads with the same squeeling crap that was on there when I brought it in. So I went to Midas and told them to put pads with the lowest metal content they could on. They told me that there were no shims on my front brakes so they put on pads all around and shims too. My breaks never squeel anymore and it's great. The good thing is these pads have a lifetime warranty for as long as I own the car which will be a long time since I love it so much. Anyways good luck with the fix. I think everyone max owner goes through this because the Nissan pads really suck IMO. (Oh and my new pads hardly dust at all it's awsome)
Old 10-06-2000, 03:10 PM

Actually..... Nissan pads (manufactured by Akebono) are pretty good. Cant understand why all the problems. I just changed my front pads on my '96 at 90k. Would have lasted longer, but all that hard braking when cruising the triple digits warped the rotors. The CFO here has 150k on his '95 with original everything on the car! Oh yeah, when I changed the pads, I installed the Bendix IQ Titanium ones. Stay away from them. They work awesome, but the brake dust is way outta control. I have to clean the wheels at least once a week.
Old 10-06-2000, 04:01 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yeah, I have 46K miles on my Nissan pads so far, with nary a squeak or squeel. Rotors aren't warped, either.
Old 10-06-2000, 04:54 PM

Re: I fixed this prob

Originally posted by Black95Se
Went to dealer and they replaced my pads with the same squeeling crap that was on there when I brought it in. So I went to Midas and told them to put pads with the lowest metal content they could on. They told me that there were no shims on my front brakes so they put on pads all around and shims too. My breaks never squeel anymore and it's great. The good thing is these pads have a lifetime warranty for as long as I own the car which will be a long time since I love it so much. Anyways good luck with the fix. I think everyone max owner goes through this because the Nissan pads really suck IMO. (Oh and my new pads hardly dust at all it's awsome)
I just had my pads replaced and they squealled the second i left the dealership. Dealer guy told me, everything looked fine and yes they did put anti-squeal compound behind the pads. but he's not hearing what i'm hearing, high pitch almost intolerable noise. Don't know what the heck is goin on, all i know is that its embarrassing. I am up for any sure fire cures. thanks.
Old 10-07-2000, 06:16 AM

Hey Rice.... Forget that squeal grease crap!! That is a poor excuse for a temporary fix. Go to the dealer and spend the $$ on the factory shims. They are the best quality ones, and they fit like they are supposed to. Also, did the mechanic use new hardware? When I did my pads, I didnt even waste my time with the squeal shims that came with the new ones. I re-used the factory shims. They were in perfect shape, and they work great. Trust me, after wrenching on cars for 15 years, and being in the auto parts business for 10, I have some experience on this.
Old 10-07-2000, 05:53 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

noise might be the piston squeeking.

take your pads off. get that special brake pad lube at pepboys and put it on the piston, then that should work...

otherwise, it might mean you have no more pad left... check the rotors for cracks or warping..

my brakes squeek too, but that's cuz of the brake dust porterfields give off..
Old 10-09-2000, 06:44 AM

well guess what...

the dealer tells me there's nothing wrong with the brakes, but i only have 40% of the brake pad left. damn that was fast after only 25,000 miles...he told me i'll need to change them in about 10,000-15,000 miles. i'm definitely getting porterfields next!
Old 10-09-2000, 08:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I agree with chebosto

Go to auto zone or pepboys and they have this lube stuff that you put inbetween the brake pad and the caliber it works I have it on my car and my cars brakes I put on about a month ago and they were sQueeling but I put that stuff on it and it worked out fine. No more squeel!
Old 09-08-2003, 12:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

where is the best place to buy break pads and rotors i
Old 09-08-2003, 01:19 PM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

Originally Posted by Micah95GLE
Yeah, I have 46K miles on my Nissan pads so far, with nary a squeak or squeel. Rotors aren't warped, either.
When I had my '98 Altima GLE I changed my original pads at 46K in '00 and this was w/ stop & go driving and occasional hard braking... too bad they gave me the crappy and noisy key value pads at the time, and I complained about the brakes to the dealer and to them it was "normal" since I had the key value pads on... maybe u have the key value pads installed
Old 09-08-2003, 03:14 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Originally Posted by nissanone
where is the best place to buy break pads and rotors i
OEM? JerryRomeNissan.com has 30% off if your order online.
Old 09-08-2003, 04:08 PM

Damn, resurecting a three year old thread....
Old 09-08-2003, 10:36 PM
DoGGy

Originally Posted by seven

thanks

WHAT? WHAT? WHAT DID I JUST HEAR? DAMN U.

I taught my max was the lowest mileaged 4th gen !
whats your exact mileage ! imma grarage keep it for few months till u put a few "k's" on that. its ok tho, we both got sterling mist SE in 24k mile range !

But that doesnt mean imma let u win the "mileage" battle !

Old 09-09-2003, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by DoGGy
WHAT? WHAT? WHAT DID I JUST HEAR? DAMN U.

I taught my max was the lowest mileaged 4th gen !
whats your exact mileage ! imma grarage keep it for few months till u put a few "k's" on that. its ok tho, we both got sterling mist SE in 24k mile range !

But that doesnt mean imma let u win the "mileage" battle !
Keep in mind that was posted 3 years ago!!
Old 09-09-2003, 12:42 AM

Brakes squeal because they are misaligned or worn out. If you have bad, misplaced, or no shims they will vibrate and make noise. Don't forget the springs and clips as those make a big difference too. If your rotors are bad and in need of turning your brakes may squeal. Metallic brakes aren’t noisy however from time to time when braking there will be a faint squeal. If the noise is bad or constant the pads aren’t your problem (unless they are worn out and you are hearing the tall tails). I suppose if you bought some crap brand that I have never touched you could get some squealing but I doubt it. anyway
God bless,
dan
Old 09-09-2003, 02:27 AM
V^___^V

autos tend to wear out the brakes a lot faster. i suggest go pick up a set of hawk high performance brake pads from custmomaxima.com. i posted a thread about people's opinion and its got pretty good review.

my brake pads are wearing down as well, i'm plannin to pick up a set very soon.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:55 PM
DoGGy

Originally Posted by DerekJ212
Keep in mind that was posted 3 years ago!!
AHAHAHAHHAHA U THA MAN DUDE. PHEW I STILL HOLD THE RECORD

but seriously. 3 YEARS AGO. damn lol

Old 09-09-2003, 11:10 PM

regarding happyricefob's suggestion on custommaxima.com brake pads. You can find Hawk pads cheaper on TireRack.com. I bought my Hawk HP Plus for $81 shipped. I installed them today and they are amazing. However, be warned...these are track pads, not recommended for street use. They dust like OEM (most aftermarkets don't dust that much), make noises, and chew up your rotor. Also, you need to warm up the rotors before they begin to bite, so cold weather and rain might not be good. But get them hot and they grip like crazy. I love them!

For most people, the Hawk HP are excellent performers for budget price. Also, check out the group deal forum for Axxis Metals. These are also good street pads. For Track use, Get the Axxis Ultimates.

Jae
Old 09-10-2003, 07:33 AM

70,000 miles on original pads/rotors, no noise, oh I have a 5 speed, that helps (original clutch too !)
Old 09-10-2003, 08:50 AM

yeah man my front breaks whistle it drives me crazy
they don't squeel they whistle aaaaaaaaaaaa......by they way they have about 1k miles on them aaaaaaaa....I'm ok the squeeling the whistling make it go AWAY....