4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Problem with horn...Daniel B Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2001, 03:10 PM
OG

I installed a set of dual air horns the today that I got from my local motorsports shop. After installing all the brackets and mounting it under the hood, I proceeded to connect the wires following the directions step by step. It seemed like a simple set up, but when I tried the horn, it didn't work. I then went to Jeff K's web site to fetch some knowledge on how he installed his air horns. integra.vtec.net/geeser/megamax/horns.html
His instructions show a short cut for Maximas so I disconnected the wiring and and did a "test" of the new wiring set up. Basically what I did was touch the wire to the proper connectors and had my wife honk the horn while I held the wires in place. It worked like a charm. So then I proceeded to connect the wires per the instructions sinced the "test phase" went well. After all the connections were in place, I tried the horn again and no response except for a clicking sound comming from somewhere else in the engine bay. I had the wife push on the horn so I could locate the clicking sound, and I found it comming from the black fuse/relay box in front of the battery under the hood marked horn. I didn't want to mess with it until I asked someone what the problem might be. Any idea????? Oh yeah, and I triple checked the connections to make sure they were all right.
Old 04-29-2001, 05:28 PM

Well.......

Originally posted by SmoothMax
I installed a set of dual air horns the today that I got from my local motorsports shop. After installing all the brackets and mounting it under the hood, I proceeded to connect the wires following the directions step by step. It seemed like a simple set up, but when I tried the horn, it didn't work. I then went to Jeff K's web site to fetch some knowledge on how he installed his air horns. integra.vtec.net/geeser/megamax/horns.html
His instructions show a short cut for Maximas so I disconnected the wiring and and did a "test" of the new wiring set up. Basically what I did was touch the wire to the proper connectors and had my wife honk the horn while I held the wires in place. It worked like a charm. So then I proceeded to connect the wires per the instructions sinced the "test phase" went well. After all the connections were in place, I tried the horn again and no response except for a clicking sound comming from somewhere else in the engine bay. I had the wife push on the horn so I could locate the clicking sound, and I found it comming from the black fuse/relay box in front of the battery under the hood marked horn. I didn't want to mess with it until I asked someone what the problem might be. Any idea????? Oh yeah, and I triple checked the connections to make sure they were all right.
It,s sounds like the horn wiring (car side) is working since the relay is clicking but let me axe you something. Is there a 12volt source (constant) that is required for your horns? Find out which wires you did mess with that when you and mama (wife) tested, it worked. That,s the best guess I can give see ins how I can,t quite read/see from here. Good luck!
Old 04-29-2001, 05:48 PM
OG

So the clicking sound indicates a working relay? I'll try it again and let you know the end result. Thanks
Old 04-29-2001, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by SmoothMax
I don't want to get into a dispute with Jeff, but I cannot endorse his shortcut. If the manufacturer of your aftermarket horn put a relay in the box, it is there for a reason. Use it. If you use Jeff's shortcut you may discover you are blowing a fuse every few days because your new horns draw more current than the factory units.

It's awfully difficult to guess what might have gone wrong with your horn installation, but I'll try. The ground side of an electric load is often overlooked. Perhaps your new horns are not properly grounded.
Old 04-29-2001, 06:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Use the relay. It's not that hard to wire up.

I got some Hella Triple Airhorns, but the numbers on the relays should be the same.

Relay #85 is the ground
Relay #86 is the stock horn
Relay #87 is the power (battery)
Relay #30 is to the compressor

HOWEVER on Japanese cars, the ground and the stock horn wires should be switched!

So... this is where the relays go to on the Max.

Relay #85 is the stock horn
Relay #86 is the ground
Relay #87 is the power (battery)
Relay #30 is to the compressor

And make sure to put an inline fuse near the battery.
Old 04-29-2001, 06:24 PM
OG

Thanks for the help all. I thought it might be the ground. Oh well, looks like I'll be using the relay after all. Preciate the help clee, dch, DBM.